Walker's appeal denied

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060817/SPT0301/608170373/1078

North College Hill basketball star Bill Walker had his eligibility appeal denied Wednesday by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, despite Walker's attorneys' presentation of what the attorneys said were doctored school records.

Katz said he is unsure if Walker's family might proceed with a lawsuit against the OHSAA, with the intent of having the courts declare Walker eligible for his senior year (2006-07 season).

The OHSAA determined Walker had been listed as a freshman for 16 varsity games at Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., for the 2002-03 season. There followed six semesters for Walker at North College Hill (2003-04, 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons).

Walker started the 2002-03 school year listed as an eighth-grader at St. Joseph Central Catholic (Huntington, W.Va.). Walker transferred to Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., in October 2002 with the apparent belief that he still would be in eighth grade, but the private school had no seats available in eighth grade.

Walker thus was placed in the ninth grade at Rose Hill, and his family/advisers said they were told Walker would be put into the eighth grade once a seat became available. That did not happen, and then Walker transferred to NCH in February 2003. Walker was placed in eighth grade at NCH, which at the time did not have documentation that Walker had finished eighth grade.

Walker was listed as a freshman both in Rose Hill records and in Ashland newspaper accounts of the Rose Hill team in the 2002-03 season.

"The issue was whether or not he was registered in ninth grade at Rose Hill Academy," Katz said. "There was no record anywhere that Bill Walker completed eighth grade."

They paint a poor picture of Rose Hill, at that time. With the picture THEY paint, sure seems they were more concerned about just getting Walker in the school rather than having him in the grade he was supposed to be in.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article said that they had a taped conversation with someone close to the RH program, (asst. coach) Why in the world would someone be taping a conversation and altered documents? Are these for real becuase it didn't sound like they made any dent in the decision?

The article presents the best argument that Katz could make which is to throw manure in all directions and hope some of it sticks. The account in the newspaper is, shall we say, flawed. To be honest, I don't want to see Billy hurt in any way. I am a Walker fan. I want him to play. However, the facts, without the manure, are really rather clear.

I don't know if I feel sympathy for Bill or not. I do wish he would have been able to play at NCH again to see if they could 3peat. But to float around town to town in one grade here another grade there, how can you not figure out you can't do that and play forever. If you drive to your middleschool graduation,,,,,you might be a redneck!!!!!

If he had stayed at RH, do you think someone would have seen to it that he didn't mess up. Why put him in the 9th grade because they didn't have a seat for him in the 8th grade? Is that how you place students in grades ?guess it is with basketball players. Just to get him a place in the school.

Walker started the 2002-03 school year listed as an eighth-grader at St. Joseph Central Catholic (Huntington, W.Va.)

I thought he was listed as a 9th grader at this point? I know you can't play varsity basketball in WV as an 8th grader. Or is that why he went back to RH? This is the one part of this story that has always thrown me off because I've heard both...

The facts of this situation have been presented on BGP and elsewhere in the published and broadcast media several times. If In My Opinion prefers to ignore the weight of the documented facts and to pick and choose what he/she wants to believe, it is his/her choice. However, I think the facts are rather clear whether IMO chooses to acknowledge them or not.

Gametime, heresay can result in many interpretations particularly when some have an agenda and others play "butt cover". However, the documented evidence generated at the time of Billy's transfer to Rose Hill from HSJ clearly indicate that Billy left HSJ as a ninth grader and entered RH as a ninth grader.

The facts of this situation have been presented on BGP and elsewhere in the published and broadcast media several times. If In My Opinion prefers to ignore the weight of the documented facts and to pick and choose what he/she wants to believe, it is his/her choice. However, I think the facts are rather clear whether IMO chooses to acknowledge them or not.

Not to rehash the point but I have not been involved in this situation till I read today's story. Can you give a BRIEF view of RH's side of the story? Especially with the point that GT brings up.

Cause reading ONLY this story and RH comes off looking really, really bad.

In any matter of this sort, it is important to look at the documented evidence rather than to depend upon the oral recollections of individuals. Oral recollections tend to lose credibility with the passage of time and are usually presented in the manner most favorable to the speaker's particular agenda.

Without being overly specific, let me say that the documentation clearly indicates that Billy left HSJ as a ninth grader, enrolled at RH as a ninth grader, played basketball as a ninth grader, and left RH as a ninth grader. I don't know what others may claim was said orally at any given time but I do know what the documents show.

I also want to reinterate that I wish the situation were otherwise so Billy could play. Through my posts over the years, it is obvious that I am a great supporter of OJ. I also support Billy. Regardless of the baggage and negative events, they are both special talents who are, we must remember, still just kids. They have both been used by people with apparent ulterior motives. True, they are not "without sin" but, then, who among us is?

Gametime, heresay can result in many interpretations particularly when some have an agenda and others play "butt cover". However, the documented evidence generated at the time of Billy's transfer to Rose Hill from HSJ clearly indicate that Billy left HSJ as a ninth grader and entered RH as a ninth grader.

I was just asking a question, as this is the first time I have really known what was said. I didn't intended to ignore anything. Especially "the weight of the documented facts." I just read the article and that is what it implied. I will go back and read it again.

IMO, you can reread the newspaper article but don't take everything it says as "gospel". It presents the argument of Mr. Katz. It states that the documentation from HSJ shows that Billy left there as an eighth grader. I am familiar with the document that Mr. Katz is most likely using. It was generated by HSJ earlier this year. However, the documents generated at the relevant time (October, 2002) clearly indicate otherwise.