Open Job: Southwestern

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commonwealth Journal

Steve Cornelius

No stranger to Warrior basketball as a fifth-year assistant coach, Chris Baker was named the new boys basketball at Southwestern High School on Monday afternoon.

Baker, who had worked under former Warrior head coach Steve Wright as an assistant for the past five seasons, met with his team on Monday afternoon to tell them he was the new Warrior skipper.

"I think a lot of the kids were relieved to see me walk in the locker room today," Baker laughed. "I have coached all these kids for several years, I have watched them grow up and they all know me very well."

"This will be an extremely smooth transition," Baker stated. "I have been here in Somerset for five years. I love it here, I am part of the community and I even go to church with some of my players. We were all excited today."

Although new to the Southwestern head coaching job, Baker brings a wealth of high school head coaching experience to the table.

Before coming to Southwestern, Baker was the head coach at Whitley County High School for four seasons from 2008 to 2011.

Also, Baker coached three seasons at Breathitt County High School, where he led the Bobcats to three winning season and left with the third highest career winning percentage in school history. Baker led Breathitt County to a 22-7 record in 20002-03 season, which included a 55th District title and a 14th Region semifinal appearance.

Baker spent three seasons at Green County High School from 1997 to 2000. In 1999, Baker led the Green County Dragons to the 5th Region All "A" Championship game.

"I have great bosses here at Southwestern High School, and I love working here," Baker stated. "I was content with being a Warrior assistant, but when the head coaching position came open I was very interested in it."

"A lot of good candidates applied for this position, and I was sort surprised I got the job," Baker admitted. "I am extremely happy to take on this challenge and continue the excellent Warrior tradition."

Will this keep disgruntled kids at SW?

From what I heard, they will stay this year. Be cautious what you ask for parents. That will be my one warning about this move. Run off a proven coach with a lot of success and get someone who has been the head coach at WHITLEY COUNTY! The assistant is always the most popular person in the program.

From what I heard, they will stay this year. Be cautious what you ask for parents. That will be my one warning about this move. Run off a proven coach with a lot of success and get someone who has been the head coach at WHITLEY COUNTY! The assistant is always the most popular person in the program.

Do you feel solid with the belief they will stay at Southwestern? I've heard they are gone no matter what so I am interested in seeing what happens with this hire. From what I have heard Coach Baker is liked by everyone. It's only natural for all of us to wonder if his hire will be enough to keep Danny and Steven at Southwestern.

Do you feel solid with the belief they will stay at Southwestern? I've heard they are gone no matter what soo I am interested in seeing what happens with this hire. From what I have heard Coach Baker is liked by everyone. It's only natural for all of us to wonder if his hire will be enough to keep Danny and Steven at Southwestern.
I've also heard they are gone no matter what