Highlands 11 Mason County 10 (8 Innings)

The Birds fought back from an early 1st inning ten run deficit to win in the eighth. The starting pitcher had her first Varsity pitches from the circle in a start against the Royals. The Royals sent 13 batters to the plate until the pitcher was hit with a shot to the leg and Spencer came in to relieve her. Spencer shut down the bleeding allowing 1 hit and two walks (1 intentional) recording 8 Ks over the next 7 plus innings.

The lefty Gilbert from MC had two hrs in the first with the second being a Grand slam. 7 rbis in the inning for her.

The birds scratched back with 1 in the first Graybill driving in H Coffey.

In the third the bats woke up. H Coffey single, Gabbard sac bunt safe on error, Graybill 2b scoring both. Dutcher walk, Barth K dropped 3rd strike, scary part of the game. On the throw Graybill came home with the catcher blocking the plate scored but went out of the game for precautionary measures. Daley then doubled Dutcher in, Baioni walk, K, Dill 1b scoring Daley, Coffey walk, Baioni scored on a passed ball. 7 runs scored in the inning.

With time running out it was the last chance In the fifth, h Coffey ROE, FC, Spencer 2b, Dutcher 2b scoring Pinch runner Lorenzen and PR Grimm. GO, Daley ROE, scoring Dutcher with 2 out to tie the game.

International tie breaker kicked in. Mason runner on 2b, Faul 2b to center but a strong throw held the runner at third. Intentional BB to Gilbert to load the bases, K, then pop to Coffey to shut the threat.

In the birds half, m Coffey on 2b, GO moving Coffey to 3b, Dill bunt single, h Coffey BB, Lorenzen ROE scoring Coffey.

MCHS. 10. 8. 5

HHS. 11. 13. 0

Graybill 2-2. 2b

H Coffey 2-3

Dill 2-4

Daley 2-4 2b

The Birds fought back from an early 1st inning ten run deficit to win in the eighth. The starting pitcher had her first Varsity pitches from the circle in a start against the Royals. The Royals sent 13 batters to the plate until the pitcher was hit with a shot to the leg and Spencer came in to relieve her. Spencer shut down the bleeding allowing 1 hit and two walks (1 intentional) recording 8 Ks over the next 7 plus innings.

The lefty Gilbert from MC had two hrs in the first with the second being a Grand slam. 7 rbis in the inning for her.

The birds scratched back with 1 in the first Graybill driving in H Coffey.

In the third the bats woke up. H Coffey single, Gabbard sac bunt safe on error, Graybill 2b scoring both. Dutcher walk, Barth K dropped 3rd strike, scary part of the game. On the throw Graybill came home with the catcher blocking the plate scored but went out of the game for precautionary measures. Daley then doubled Dutcher in, Baioni walk, K, Dill 1b scoring Daley, Coffey walk, Baioni scored on a passed ball. 7 runs scored in the inning.

With time running out it was the last chance In the fifth, h Coffey ROE, FC, Spencer 2b, Dutcher 2b scoring Pinch runner Lorenzen and PR Grimm. GO, Daley ROE, scoring Dutcher with 2 out to tie the game.

International tie breaker kicked in. Mason runner on 2b, Faul 2b to center but a strong throw held the runner at third. Intentional BB to Gilbert to load the bases, K, then pop to Coffey to shut the threat.

In the birds half, m Coffey on 2b, GO moving Coffey to 3b, Dill bunt single, h Coffey BB, Lorenzen ROE scoring Coffey.

MCHS. 10. 8. 5

HHS. 11. 13. 0

Graybill 2-2. 2b

H Coffey 2-3

Dill 2-4

Daley 2-4 2b

I'm no softball follower, but even so, I've never heard of this.

The "international tiebreaker" rule refers to the extra-inning rules set by the International Softball Federation. If a game under ISF rules is tied after seven innings, the tiebreaker rule is put into effect. The ISF rules apply to both fastpitch and slowpitch softball, although in the United States they are more widely used in fastpitch games. The intent of the rule is to bring extra-inning games to a speedier conclusion.

Mcpapa...It basically just starts the inning with a runner on 2nd with no outs. You play it out like a standard inning from there. Both teams get the benefit of starting with the runner on base. The base runner is the player that made the last out of the previous inning.

In the case of the MC/HH game...if MC could have killed 3 minutes in the previous inning, they would have won the game. But didn't work out that way. Was an exciting game to watch.

Mcpapa...It basically just starts the inning with a runner on 2nd with no outs. You play it out like a standard inning from there. Both teams get the benefit of starting with the runner on base. The base runner is the player that made the last out of the previous inning.

In the case of the MC/HH game...if MC could have killed 3 minutes in the previous inning, they would have won the game. But didn't work out that way. Was an exciting game to watch.

In these games that had a "time limit", even a trip to the pitcher's mound wouldn't have been enough to kill that time...

Meaning, if the MC coach had even tried to go to the mound to try and stall and extend their defensive inning by three minutes (in order to get the "win" so that the next inning would not have been started); I felt the umpires would have not allowed a stall tactic...

Our games weren't close enough to see how these umpiring crews were handling the time limit in close games, but they definitely appeared to be hurrying the teams in between innings to take the field and resume play.

Meaning, if the MC coach had even tried to go to the mound to try and stall and extend their defensive inning by three minutes (in order to get the "win" so that the next inning would not have been started); I felt the umpires would have not allowed a stall tactic...

Our games weren't close enough to see how these umpiring crews were handling the time limit in close games, but they definitely appeared to be hurrying the teams in between innings to take the field and resume play.

That's the challenge with a time limit game. I have to give the coach his ability to go to the mound. I can't rush him. I can't make him run out there. I've seen coaches get sideways with the other coach for perceived yet legal delays.

I don't know what the softball rule is but a coach can visit the mound 3 times without having to change the pitcher. If I'm the winning coach and it's getting close to the time limit I'm using every one I've got.

I doubt our Coach was even thinking of a stall tactic. It just so happened that we started an inning with 14 minutes to go. MC went out 1-2-3 and Highlands went 1-2-3 as well I believe on about 5 pitches. So the whole inning lasted about 10 - 11 minutes (the quickest inning we had by far). That left 3 minutes on the clock and to Highlands credit they recognized it and hustled out and was ready without any warmup between innings. The umpire signaled let's go. So we played another inning which allowed Highlands to tie it up and eventually win in extras.

There could have easily been opportunities to "kill some clock" but our Coaches and players just "played ball" and happened to lose. I was pleased with the way our girls played (it definitely hurt that our 3rd baseman couldn't play the field due to an arm issue) but neither team did anything to disrupt the integrity of the game. The whole tournament was a good learning experience for our girls (especially the younger ones).

I doubt our Coach was even thinking of a stall tactic. It just so happened that we started an inning with 14 minutes to go. MC went out 1-2-3 and Highlands went 1-2-3 as well I believe on about 5 pitches. So the whole inning lasted about 10 - 11 minutes (the quickest inning we had by far). That left 3 minutes on the clock and to Highlands credit they recognized it and hustled out and was ready without any warmup between innings. The umpire signaled let's go. So we played another inning which allowed Highlands to tie it up and eventually win in extras.

There could have easily been opportunities to "kill some clock" but our Coaches and players just "played ball" and happened to lose. I was pleased with the way our girls played (it definitely hurt that our 3rd baseman couldn't play the field due to an arm issue) but neither team did anything to disrupt the integrity of the game. The whole tournament was a good learning experience for our girls (especially the younger ones).

I am reading this as "outcoached", no disrespect to the MC coach at all intended. I'm sure the HHS coaches realized that if you throw the first pitch, you have a new inning. I agree with Clyde, if the MC coach goes to the mound to delay, that's a common tactic in a tournament with rules like this. (I am glad that it played out just because that's truly the game, rather than the "rules" ) A good game either way.