Highlands/Beechwood Scrimmage

jbwill2

Hurtt didn't play a play. He hurt his groin last week and has been held out of practice for a week and didn't even touch the field today (other than running laps on the track). Koop and Marchettin also didn't play a play today.

I thought Draper and Cecil played even.

Birds in the beginning of the scrimmage (when they were going ten plays each) were subbing players every 3 plays to let Dale get a look at a lot of different players. When it got to moving the chain time, Dale left the starting unit in and the Birds pretty much did whatever they wanted. The superior depth really showed. Beechies will be just fine. They won't have to deal with that depth in A ball. Big kids and a hard running tb. Qb looked pretty dang good. Despite the lopsided scrimmage, I would not be surprised if the Tigers won A this year. Seriously.

I thought the defense looked good from every position. I didn't see any weaknesses at all, including the dbs. Any team is going to complete several passes. We didn't get beat deep once. I thought Spencer Head played a very good game from the cb position.

Male will be a "challenge", but we'll do okay I think. Heck of a team to scrimmage, that's for sure.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True but look at last year. Beechwood played very well against HHS last year and last years team may have been the weakest Beechwood team in the last 15 years.

I really think Beechwood is going to be ok. Elliot moves very well and has a strong arm and Bankamper is a stud. Beechwood just needs some time to develop and I think they will have a very solid 1A football team.

IMHO, this could be the best Highlands team in several years. Beechwood was just out manned today by a much superior football team and therefore Beechwood didn't look too good.

I know the game doesn't mean a whole lot but do you think Highlands has a chance of beating St. X when they play this season or at least being a very good game?

I know the game doesn't mean a whole lot but do you think Highlands has a chance of beating St. X when they play this season or at least being a very good game?

I haven't seen them but I don't see why it couldn't be a very good game. Highlands seems to have very good team speed which can keep you in a lot of games like that. Where is it on the schedule? I think X is a little easier to play earlier in the year too!

I haven't seen them but I don't see why it couldn't be a very good game. Highlands seems to have very good team speed which can keep you in a lot of games like that. Where is it on the schedule? I think X is a little easier to play earlier in the year too!

Highlands is the 4th game on St. X.'s schedule, 9/9 @ Paul Brown Stadium. Sounds like it could be an excellent contest. :ylsuper:

Golfer,

If X has their standard team then it should be about even but I really want to see how X does against BG. Long story short, HHS will be much better this year than they were last year.

Even? That means that X has had a big dropoff from last years squad, and HHS team is light years better than last year. Do you remember last years game? 45-0! HHS had less than 30 offensive snaps in the whole game. The Birds best defensive stand was to hold them to a field goal. Granted X caught HHS after the Colerain game where the Birds were banged up. The biggest advantage X had on HHS was size and strength. Do they not have that dominating size they had last year? I do believe that HHS has improved from last year (ton of returning starters) but even with X? Man, I hope so

I thought that HHS looked pretty good, not great though. They have the makings of being a great team. I have to disagree that the Qb's didn't play well as stated by Raiderbird. I think that they(QB's) took what Beechwood gave them. Clay Cecil looked good throwing and running the ball. It's kind of nice having a Qb (Cecil) with a lb'er mentally. He tryed running through would be tacklers. Jay threw some nice ball's also.

I agree about the QBs. I think both played OK. I would like to see a wr step up and make some plays. Too many balls dropped, and deflected. Over the past few year HHS has had recievers that would go up and battle for the ball. They seem to be nailed to the ground waiting for the ball to get to them rather than go up and get it. Did 22 have any receptions? He is a kid that that will fight for the ball and then punish you after the catch. On a side note; is 32 not playing RB anymore? Don't remember him playing O at all yesterday.

Good job by thr BIRDS. They showed alot of speed and ability. I agree with LN on the QB's being even. I did like the way Cecil tucked the ball and got yardage when things collapsed around him, showed good poise. Receivers are a ?? and need to pick it up in the coming weeks. They did not seem to want to make plays on the ball. Defense is good and fast. They created havoc all day for the Tigers. DB's need to play the ball a little better. Coverage is good, but I thought a couple of int's were left on the field. What number was Connor. So many people in and out I wasn't sure. Good luck in their next scrimmage.

Any word on the INjuries to Hurtt, Koop and Marchetti? Day to day ...? I heard Koop has been out for 2 weeks.

Didnt give enough credit in earlier post to the HHS Offensive line, they are big and bruising and opened up some nice holes for the backs.

Hurtt is a groin. Koop is sitting due to a concussion, and Marchetti I'm not sure what the injury is but looking forward to him getting back in action. He has really been looking good in practice before the injury.

I think it is smart to rest these boys and let these injuries heal. They will be ready when the season starts.:thumb:

Even? That means that X has had a big dropoff from last years squad, and HHS team is light years better than last year. Do you remember last years game? 45-0! HHS had less than 30 offensive snaps in the whole game. The Birds best defensive stand was to hold them to a field goal. Granted X caught HHS after the Colerain game where the Birds were banged up. The biggest advantage X had on HHS was size and strength. Do they not have that dominating size they had last year? I do believe that HHS has improved from last year (ton of returning starters) but even with X? Man, I hope so

No it doesn't mean all that. There is a lot more to this than just the final score from last year.

I know its very early, but my recollection is that the strong Beechie teams of old have held their own against HHS teams of the past . . .

I don't remember the scores and thus may be wrong, but the two times we played Beechwood in real games, I don't recall the results being close.

In scrimmages, Beechwood has done okay against the Birds (not including this year). But scrimmages are often times misleading. Last year's was. Every position last year, other than Guidugli at tight end, was still up for grabs when we scrimmaged Beechwood, which meant a whole lot of substitution going on, almost every play. Whereas Beechwood seems to have had most of its starters figured out by then (based on my observation of substitution patterns). In the early part of last year's scrimmage, Beechwood dominated. When the scrimmage went to the moving the chains part last year, Dale went more with whom he thought would be the starters and Highlands actually outplayed Beechwood or at worst played them even. This year, with all the returning starters on Highlands team, Dale didn't have to do near as much substituting (although he still did a whole lot of it). Beechwood has a great program and nothing but respect from me, but Highlands simply had a better team, which coupled with Beechwood's lack of depth on a hot morning, resulted in the big difference. I agree with the Ru, opponents of Beechwood should not write them off based on the results of this scrimmage. They are big, strong and talented. Their qb really impressed me. If the line can give him some time, he'll complete a lot of passes. Bankemper is a very good running back and will gain a lot of yards behind that offensive line.

I couldn't stick around for the NCC scrimmage. Ru, I think you stayed for some. How do you feel about the Beechwood vs. NCC match up based on what you saw?