Benghazi movie

jericho

Whether or not the exact words 'stand down' were used or not doesn't really matter. By doing nothing, State/WH gave an implicit (possibly explicit) stand down order.

If we had assets in the area mid-way through the attack then they were in the area before the attack.

State & White House watched the events in real time, and there could (should) have been a call immediately for any and all military assets or Spec Ops to proceed. Even a couple fly overs might have been enough to deter some of the attackers.

Instead we let them fend for themselves.

Put yourself in the position of running DOD or State or being The President.

Our compound in Benghazi is attacked. What is your first reaction?

The first thing you do is get any and all military assets in the Mediterranean Sea/Africa/Italy moving in that direction. You can always have them turn back if not needed.

You obviously can’t tell immediately how long the attack will continue. The movie is called ’13 hours’. From what I’ve read the accounts are that the attack of the compound and then the CIA annex lasted between 7 and 9 hours.

But you don’t wait to find that out. You call on any assets you have immediately. You don’t wait to make that call unless you’re an absolute moron.

I just did a quick scan of U.S. military installations in the area and we have bases in Italy, including Naples where the Sixth Fleet is based. From Naples, Italy to Benghazi is 685 nautical miles. An F16 can fly 800-900 mph. An F14 can fly 1500 mph. So even if they’re at the base and not out in the Med, any navy jets could be in Benghazi in well under an hour after the attack started, if scrambled immediately.

The CIA guys (former Seals) asked for air support as they were leaving to head to the compound (according to their statements). And it didn’t arrive...

Top CIA officer in Benghazi delayed response to terrorist attack, US security team members claim | Fox News

There have been stories from various military sources floating around that there was laser targeting going on at the compound. So maybe some military assets were scrambled and were staying over the Med until getting approval, which never came obviously.

According to multiple sources including the Washington Post, Amb. Stevens was still alive as of 10:30pm local time, an hour after the fighting started. If these CIA assets/contractors were allowed to head to the Compound immediately perhaps they could have saved more lives.

We’ll never know for sure. But to make no effort to save them is inexcusable and, dare I say, un-American.

If you want to learn more, read the timeline at factcheck.org.

Benghazi Timeline

If you’re into the whole storyline that Clinton/Obama put out about a movie causing the attack, there’s some interesting stuff in there such as this:

Sept. 11, 11:12 p.m.: Clinton sends an email to her daughter, Chelsea, that reads: “Two of our officers were killed in Benghazi by an al Qaeda-like group: The Ambassador, whom I handpicked and a young communications officer on temporary duty w a wife and two young children. Very hard day and I fear more of the same tomorrow.”

“Sept. 12: Clinton delivers a speech at the State Department to condemn the attack in Benghazi and to praise the victims as “heroes.” She again makes reference to the anti-Muslim video in similar language...

Clinton: “Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior, along with the protest that took place at our Embassy in Cairo yesterday, as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. America’s commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear — there is no justification for this, none.”

“Sept. 12, 3:04 p.m.: Clinton calls then-Egyptian Prime Minister Hisham Qandil and tells him, “We know the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack — not a protest.” An account of that call was contained in an email written by State Department Public Affairs Officer Lawrence Randolph that summarizes the call between the two leaders. The email was released by the House Benghazi committee.”

I think it's the line of people wondering why Hillary didn't answer their request weeks in advance of the attack for more help, not just the night of.

I love how all these concerns get recycled month to month ... year to year ... especially after Mrs. Clinton made mincemeat of Gowdy's inquisition panel in October. So you really think this new mockumentary is going to swiftboat her candidacy? Doubt it. Other factors might, but Benghazi ain't.

I doubt the movie will get into the political dancing on this.

This was attack and fight from the beginning. No protest gone bad, no people upset about a video - a planned, coordinated, well executed attack. From the start.

Everyone involved knew that - from the start. When something like an attack happens on a State Department location in any country functions go on alert and get real-time feeds from the location. No one is sitting around wondering is happening. The feeds are live and go to State and Defense department functions worldwide.

A very good description of the attack and actions taken in a non-spin story comes in this Reuters article. This may be the best un-filtered description available in the public press.

Libya rescue squad ran into fierce, accurate ambush | Reuters

Some key excerpts:

Miscommunication which understated the number of American survivors awaiting rescue - there were 37, nearly four times as many as the Libyan commander expected - also meant survivors and rescuers found themselves short of transport to escape this second battle, delaying an eventual dawn break for the airport.

"I really believe that this attack was planned,"

"The accuracy with which the mortars hit us was too good for any regular revolutionaries."

U.S. officials have noted it was "complex attack".

Having been told to expect 10 Americans and having found 37, Obeidi did not have enough vehicles to break out, despite having one heavy anti-aircraft gun mounted on a pickup truck.

He estimated that a dozen or more Americans were hurt.

This story was published the day after the attack. So it is a good account of the event, and likely the story of the movie, before the political aspect kicked in. Some key things:

1. It was a planned attack. Everyone knew it.

2. The number of people in the CIA building was withheld even from the Libyan militia that executed the rescue.

3. Beyond the 4 killed. Others were injured. Some seriously. Their accounts have never made the official record.

• 5 months later...