Massive muskie caught in Minnesota looks like a world record, but…

BirdBrain

Would you catch and release if you thought it was a world record ?

Massive muskie caught in Minnesota looks like a world record, but? | GrindTV.com

A fisherman in Minnesota caught a monster muskie and called it a “world-record contender for sure,” but there are a couple of problems, the first of which is the fact the fish was not weighed on a certified scale. It wasn’t weighed at all.

The second is that the all-tackle world-record muskie, a.k.a. muskellunge, is 67 1/2 pounds not the 58 pounds he believes it to be.

Nevertheless, the massive muskie Dominic Hoyos of Stillwater, Minnesota, caught on Mille Lacs Lake on Nov. 25 is downright impressive and even looks like a potential world record—or at least a state record, which stands at 54 pounds.

But Hoyos and his fishing partner Dean Block, who were estimating the fish weighed 61 pounds based on various measurement formulas, didn’t hesitate to release the monster muskie back into the lake once they measured it.

“No, it all happened so fast and it never really sunk in until we were back on shore at Jason Hamernick’s place and the hand shakes and hugs started,” Block stated on an online fishing forum when asked if they considered weighing the fish. “But, if we had to do it all over again Dominic and I would still release that fish.”

To weigh it properly would mean killing the fish and locating a certified scale, and neither was interested in doing that.

“Best part of it is she is still swimming and next year she will be bigger!” Block wrote. “The release video will never get old!”

Not all is lost when it comes to records with this fish, however. The 55-inch muskie with the 30-inch girth is long enough to qualify for the International Game Fish Association world record for length on caught-and-released fish.

The current IGFA world record is 52 inches caught on the St. Lawrence River in Quebec, Canada, in December 2013.

But record consideration will depend on whether Robert Hawkins submits the 57-inch muskie he caught-and-released on a fly rod earlier in the month at the same lake, and whether IGFA confirms it.

Regardless, Hoyos and Block share an awesome tale about a fish they labeled Queen of Mille Lacs, which might very well be a lake record.

“Dominic and I are still in shock over what we accomplished, and I think it is going to take a very long time to get off this high … And I am okay with that!” Block wrote.

Muskie.jpg