David Price and Red Sox reach 7-year, $217M deal

Not a huge fan of giving out 7 year deals to 30 year old pitchers. I know he's one of the best in the game and he's got great stats at Fenway but those last 2-3 seasons scare me. I hope he does really well and decides to opt out after 3 years. I still look for the Red Sox to add at least another big name pitcher either starter or reliever.

We're on the same page here. 7 years for Price is too much, but it's basically what you have to give him to sign him, because other teams are willing to do the same.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand it's the going rate but do these deals ever work for the team?

The Red Sox broke the bank to extend Josh Beckett and won the 2007 World Series, the Yankees did the same thing with C.C. Sabathia in 2009. John Lackey in 2013 had a big contract for the Red Sox and they won again. Pedro and Schilling were the same in 2004. I guess it depends on what your definition of working out is. Most franchises would be happy to pay 4 years of a bad salary to win a World Series is my guess.

For a guy who has never won a game he started in the playoffs? Let someone else deal with those problems. Looks to be another long year for the Sawks. But hey, he'll put butts in seats twice a week.

You've got to get to the playoffs before that is even a factor. He'll certainly go a long way towards helping with that.

You've got to get to the playoffs before that is even a factor. He'll certainly go a long way towards helping with that.

Undoubtedly. And I hope I'm wrong, but as mentioned, a 30 something starter with more success in relief is a hard pill to swallow. This is my attempt at a reverse jinx.

The Red Sox broke the bank to extend Josh Beckett and won the 2007 World Series, the Yankees did the same thing with C.C. Sabathia in 2009. John Lackey in 2013 had a big contract for the Red Sox and they won again. Pedro and Schilling were the same in 2004. I guess it depends on what your definition of working out is. Most franchises would be happy to pay 4 years of a bad salary to win a World Series is my guess.

Great point, you only hear about the guys that didn't win a ring.

Again, we're on the same page. I'd gladly overpay a player if it meant my team won a World Series. Hell, I'd overpay a guy just to get to the World Series, let alone win it.

Since some teams were listed that signed big FA's to help win, I'll list some that didn't help the last couple of years...

Angels (Pujols)

Marlins (Reyes, Bell, Burhle)

M's (Cano)

Nationals (Werth)

Nationals (Scherzer)

Angels (Hamilton)

Red Sox (A-Gon)

Red Sox (Hanley)

Red Sox (Pablo)

Yankees (Ellsbury)

Cubs (Lester)

Red Sox (Crawford)

I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm not sure why teams try and win the winter, that usually means you lose the summer/fall. Sure it can work. But for the most part these typically end bad. The most complete teams win over a long season and in the postseason. I'd want more money to go into player development and drafting than to a 30 year old.

Side note: I put Lester on there because I think they definitely over paid but to be fair to the Cubs and their riches of young talent, they have the money and overpaying to add a good vet to help the young guys isn't the worst thing.