Interesting Stat About Andy Dalton That You Might Not Know...

A rather eye-opening stat for the many Dalton doubters(of which I have been one) out there:

With Cincy's road win over Pittsburgh on Sunday, Andy has tied the NFL record for the most ROAD wins by a quarterback in his first 5 years in the Super Bowl era. Andy now has 23 road wins in his first five years in the league and still has the entire second half of this year to become the sole record holder in this category. Pretty impressive ...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I actually already mentioned that in the interesting nfl facts thread... But glad you started a thread on it, because it is impressive... Especially when you consider the division he plays in and how young he and most of his key offensive teammates are.

Typically, a good run game and good defense travel pretty well. Not sure if this stat is about Dalton or the team as a whole. How many of those games can you say that Dalton was the difference maker? My guess is that in many of them Fitzpatrick could have performed the same or better.

So they never won on the road before?

J/k

Carson Palmer and Boomer Esiason on line #3.

Maybe a generalization by me, but here is a link to show my point. Yeah, there were a couple good years for the Bengals on the road, but usually one or two road wins a year doesn't cut it for a team trying to make the playoffs. In regards to overall records, have we forgotten the "dark years" so quickly?:idunno:

EDSFootball.com | Cincinnati Bengals - Historical NFL Won-Loss Records

Carson Palmer and Boomer Esiason on line #3.

Look up their career stats... Not only did they not win on the road as much as Andy, but they didn't win overall at a clip as well... And don't try to say they didn't have good defenses or running attacks... They did.

Actually, this being Dalton's best season so far... The Bengals running attack has been weak. Also, it's not a top 5 defense under a guy like Zimmer...wish it was, because I would feel better about their Super Bowl chances.

Surely you guys aren't saying that Dalton is a better QB than Palmer or Boomer.

No. No way. Anderson was the best QB this franchise has had and Greg Cook would have been if he didn't get hurt.

Rules have changed so much that today is a QB's league.

Now I won't take anything away from what Dalton has done but in the big picture until this year, the wins came down more to the team than the QB. This year Dalton is playing like an elite QB. The years past not so much. He was ok and the team as a whole should get credit for those wins more than anything.

Look up their career stats... Not only did they not win on the road as much as Andy, but they didn't win overall at a clip as well... And don't try to say they didn't have good defenses or running attacks... They did.

Actually, this being Dalton's best season so far... The Bengals running attack has been weak. Also, it's not a top 5 defense under a guy like Zimmer...wish it was, because I would feel better about their Super Bowl chances.

I wouldn't say the running has been weak this year. I think the play calling has been the biggest hinders nice to the running game this year. Yesterday was a perfect example. You have your RB averaging close to 10'yards a carry in the first half and then don't use him. That was the problem with the running game.

Surely you guys aren't saying that Dalton is a better QB than Palmer or Boomer.

No, I'm saying he's so far been the most successful. And let's all admit one thing: the kid has far exceeded any and all expectations since he's been here. Realistically, did any of you think he'd play as well as he has coming to this franchise as a second round pick with the Carson Palmer fiasco going on?

And I do think he's better than Boomer... Only Cook, Anderson and Palmer can make a case as best franchise QB IMO... In saying that, Dalton's career in Cincy isn't over. He has a chance to be the best QB in Bengal history. Look up all of their first 5 seasons... I think you'll see he compares pretty well.

Only Cook had a career ending injury, so unfair to him... But the other 3 have had long Nfl careers...

Let's see where Dalton ends up when his career is over. Maybe he declines and ends up with a 50% winning percentage as all of the others... As of now he's winning at a 66% clip I believe.

He's not the best IMO, but has a chance to end up as the best.