Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 09/06/15

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2015 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 2 Edition - 09/06/15

Concerning the top story line for this week, I’ve decided to recognize a well-known BGP’er, who absolutely loved Prep football in the Western part of the state and lost his lengthy health battle in this past off-season (March 2015). However, I don’t want to slight Mr. Jayvon Quarles in doing so. Mr. Quarles was a recent respected player for his beloved Hopkinsville Tigers and the Players of the Week will now be known as the Jayvon Quarles Players of the Week.

The game of the week will now be known as the PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week. I know of no other, who combined a love for playing the game, researching the history of the game and supporting all others who do the same as Michael “Bulldog” Drake (aka. PurpleHaze). He was a friend to BGP and to so many on this site and the entire Western part of the State.

Jayvon Quarles – Week 2 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: Mayfield 2A (3-0) 37 at Paducah Tilghman 3A (1-2) 14: This game was fairly close early, but mostly due to Mayfield turnovers producing short fields for Paducah, which to their credit they capitalized upon, but then it was all Mayfield. It seems the Cardinal OLine continues to make strides.

Honorable Mention: Glasgow at Barren County – Glasgow gets a big game from QB Dessi Austin and takes back the Barren County Bowl with a 35-15 win against the Barren County Trojans!

Inaugural PurpleHaze Game of the Week: Owensboro 5A (3-0) at Bowling Green 5A (2-1) – This game is one I know PurpleHaze LOVED! It features 2 teams in the Top 4 of this ranking and 2 of the best 5A teams period. How will Owensboro’s young QB fare against a typically solid defense? How will the Purples rebound from a beating by St X?

Honorable Mention: McCracken County at Mayfield; Hopkinsville at Murray; Central Hardin at South Warren

Week 2 Top 10:

10) Graves County (5A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Next 10 – Last Week (LW): Next 10 - 2015 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 39-14 at 2A Murray (2-1). Coach Gregory and the Eagles are at it again. This time in Murray. Putting up 246 yards in the air and 140 on the ground in a game that was not close. Week 3: SWING GAME vs. 3A Paducah Tilghman (1-2).

9) Caldwell County (3A) – PR: 9: LW: Next 10 - 2015 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 49-35 vs 6A North Hardin (1-2) Welcome Back Tigers! Interesting game. Caldwell is outgained 294 yards to North Hardin’s 469 yards. But Caldwell’s average starting line of scrimmage was the North Hardin 46. Dee Cain scores 2 late TDs to give the Tigers the win! Week 3: At 1A Crittenden County (3-0).

8) McCracken County (6A) – Preseason Rank (PR): 5 - Last Week (LW) – 10; 2015 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 54-14 over 4A Madisonville North-Hopkins (0-3). Nothing like a down 4A squad to make you feel good about yourself! With the Paducah Tilghman loss in the rear view mirrors, the Mustangs come to their next BIG obstacle, namely the Mayfield Cardinals. It was a classic one-point overtime game last year. I see no different for a close hard fought game this year. Week 3: At 2A Mayfield (3-0).

7) Christian County (5A) – PR: 6 – LW: 9 - 2015 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 28-14 vs Henderson County 6A (1-2). Air Raid Christian County moved closer to ground and pound Christian County against Henderson County in this All Colonel Bowl. When it counted, Christian went to the ground with 4 rushing TDs. Can they keep it up? No worries this week. Week 3: vs. 3A Fort Campbell (0-3).

6) Russellville (1A) – PR: Next 10 – LW: 8 - 2015 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 52-42 over 2A Butler County (2-1). Solid road win vs a very decent Butler County squad. Panthers rushing machine grinds out 339 yards with Josh Bigbee’s 191 yards and TD leading the way. Russellville found 2 more players this week to swell the #s played to 21. I predict it continues to swell against intra-county rival, but lowly, 4A Logan County: Week 3: vs. 4A Logan County (0-3).

5) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 8 – LW: 6 - 2015 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 50-7 vs 3A Fort Campbell (0-3). Jalen Johnson continues to star for the Tigers. The Sophomore QB passed for 160 yards and 3 TDs and ran for 2 more. This team is good, but the next 2 games on the schedule are their toughest and we’ll see what they are made of. Week 3: At Murray (2-1).

4) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1 – LW: 1 - 2015 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 45-19 At 6A St Xavier (2-0). Humble Pie Ingredients: Give up 99 yard opening kickoff return, Add 1 punt return for TD, Mix in 3 fumbles and 1 interception. St X was the better team in every way last week. The schedule is unkind as the toughest stretch of the season is back to back with the Owensboro Red Devils coming to town for the first home game of the season. Week 3: PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Vs 5A Owensboro (3-0).

3) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 4 – LW: 4 - 2015 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 35-28 over 2A Intra-City Rival Owensboro Catholic (1-2). Good game. Ray Zuberer and company were back from an off week last week vs Daviess County and tested the Red Devils. Owensboro’s offense was very balanced with 150 yards rushing and 132 passing yards. However, some Red Devil fans weren’t “real” happy with this one, but 3-0 is 3-0. Big test comes next week with the trip down the Old Green River Parkway to BG to face the Purples (2-1). Week 3: PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Vs 5A Owensboro (3-0).

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2 – LW -3 - 2015 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 37-14 AT 3A Paducah Tilghman (1-2). First big test; PASS. Reports say this one wasn’t nearly as close as the score might suggest. See above for more. Cardinal Fans, I considered you for the #1 slot, but basically you have one solid win and two “Ho-Hummers” just like South Warren. Test #2 Next Week but this will be on Mayfield’s Home Turf! Week 3: Vs. 6A McCracken County (2-1).

1) South Warren (4A) – PR: 3 – LW: 2 - 2015 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 43-7 at 5A Greenwood (2-1). Greenwood is better this year than last (IMO), but still a long ways away from this kind of challenge. QB Ryder Litton is the gas that makes the Spartans go. He scored 2 early rushing TDs and otherwise managed the game very well. On to a Big Test next week with a tough and gritty Central Hardin squad making the trip down I-65. Week 3: Home vs. 6A Central Hardin (2-1).

Jayvon Quarles Week 2 Players of the Week:

1) John Mark Boarman – SR MLB and RB – Owensboro Catholic – after a 19 tackle performance against Daviess County; Mr. Boarman backs it up against the Red Devils with 16 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 receiving TD!

Thanks to Nathaniel Bryan for these:

2) Glasgow QB Dessi Austin (248 yards passing and 4 TDs) and WR Ben Hughes (3 TDs)!

3) Taco Wilson (GREAT Name!) QB Trigg County – 4 TDs over Caverna.

4) Berneil Cecil – RB – Elizabethtown – 241 yards, 4 TDs on 8 carries!

Week 2 “Trending Down”

Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Down – After a terrific opening victory against McCracken County, the schedule is starting to take its toll on the Blue Tornado. Two or 3 more tough games on the schedule at least. Will they be ready for district action or too pooped to pop?

Murray (2A) – Down – At home vs a supposedly average Graves County team produces a dude game. Everybody loses, but can they bounce back next week? BIG game when the Hopkinsville Tigers come to town.

Week 2 “Trending Up”

Graves County (5A) – Up – After losing on the road at Hopkinsville at the Stadium of Champions (may not be such a bad loss IMO), the Eagles have come back with 2 convincing wins including last week at Murray. Huge SWING game against the Blue Tornados next week!

Elizabethtown (3A) – Up – Seem to be the Anti-Paducah Tilghman squad from a scheduling standpoint. Yes, they’ve dominated 3 games, but what does that mean against that competition. Should be interesting when the battle tested North Hardin Trojans come calling next week.

Crittenden County (1A) – Up – The Rockets keep battling. They have 3 convincing wins against mediocre teams at best, but wins are wins and now comes the second largest challenge of the entire 2015 season when the Caldwell County Tigers travel to Marion, Kentucky.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How come Elizabethtown is considered WKY, but Central Hardin is considered Louisville metro?

They are literally on the same street (U.S. 62/Mulberry/Leitchfield road).

Elizabethtown is further east than Central Hardin. CH is actually closer to Western Kentucky Parkway.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Elizabethtown+High+School,+North+Mulberry+Street,+Elizabethtown,+KY/Central+Hardin+High+School,+Leitchfield+Road,+Cecilia,+KY/@37.6905339,-85.9160603,12z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8868e8cd8d39b53b:0xd852162555c2f9ad!2m2!1d-85.852489!2d37.704705!1m5!1m1!1s0x8868e9958c077999:0xcffdb43cfdee769c!2m2!1d-85.9068478!2d37.6754201

I don't see how you can keep E'Town out of the Top 10, maybe even Top 5 or 6. N.Oldham was a solid win. A lot of good games this week. I expect a big shake up next week. If S,Warren handles C.Hardin, then they deserve to be on top of the perch, but, I have my doubts in that one. Mayfield will get a tough challenge from an ever improving McCracken team with loads of athletes. I don't expect BGreen to turn the ball over and give up big plays on special teams like last week either.

How come Elizabethtown is considered WKY, but Central Hardin is considered Louisville metro?

Fair Question NB!

JCarter is right on his perspective as well, but the real reason is that at the beginning of the Pre-Season all teams across the state and here's how the West broke out:

Western Kentucky

Adair County

Allen County-Scottsville

Apollo

Ballard Memorial

Barren County

Bowling Green

Brackinridge County

Butler County

Caldwell County

Calloway County

Caverna

Christian County

Clinton County

Crittenden County

Daviess County

Edmonson County

Elizabethtown

Fort Campbell

Franklin-Simpson

Fulton County

Fulton City

Glasgow

Graves County

Grayson County

Greenwood

Hancock County

Hart County

Heath

Henderson County

Hopkins County Central

Hopkinsville

Logan County

Lone Oak

Madisonville-North Hopkins

Marshall County

Mayfield

McClean County

Metcalfe County

Monroe County

Muhlenberg County

Murray

Ohio County

Owensboro

Owensboro Catholic

Paducah Tilghman

Reidland

Russellville

South Warren

Todd County Central

Trigg County

Union County

Warren Central

Warren East

Webster County

The McCracken County old schools are mixed in there but you get the gist. There are 52 teams in the West, 57 in the East, 51 in Louisville Area, 37 in Lexington/Central and 27 in Northern Kentucky. I understand what you're saying, but I went with the list given to me.

I don't see how you can keep E'Town out of the Top 10, maybe even Top 5 or 6. N.Oldham was a solid win. A lot of good games this week. I expect a big shake up next week. If S,Warren handles C.Hardin, then they deserve to be on top of the perch, but, I have my doubts in that one. Mayfield will get a tough challenge from an ever improving McCracken team with loads of athletes. I don't expect BGreen to turn the ball over and give up big plays on special teams like last week either.

UK, who would you take out of this Top 10 to insert E'Town for?

I agree with you on the rest and it will be a great week next week!:thumb:

UK, who would you take out of this Top 10 to insert E'Town for?

I agree with you on the rest and it will be a great week next week!:thumb:

Well, Elizabethtown has North Hardin next, so we'll see in comparison with Caldwell.

Elizabethtown's offense has been efficient -- it could have hung 50 on North Oldham and E'town's offensive starters have yet to stay in a whole game -- and the Panthers' defense has locked down everyone.

HOWEVER, E'town has not seen a team yet like North Hardin. Speed everywhere. Way more size. Way more depth. E'town has a ton of players going both ways, including the Panthers' top-seven players or so. E'town's starting quarterback is also the starting middle linebacker.

Granted score comparison is not exactly the best way to determine who is better -- Were there players out? Weather determining if teams have to stray away from usual style? Unusual turnovers? Road or home? -- but if Elizabethtown absolutely handles North Hardin better than Caldwell or John Hardin, the Panthers should probably be higher.

Fair Question NB!

JCarter is right on his perspective as well, but the real reason is that at the beginning of the Pre-Season all teams across the state and here's how the West broke out:

Western Kentucky

Adair County

Allen County-Scottsville

Apollo

Ballard Memorial

Barren County

Bowling Green

Brackinridge County

Butler County

Caldwell County

Calloway County

Caverna

Christian County

Clinton County

Crittenden County

Daviess County

Edmonson County

Elizabethtown

Fort Campbell

Franklin-Simpson

Fulton County

Fulton City

Glasgow

Graves County

Grayson County

Greenwood

Hancock County

Hart County

Heath

Henderson County

Hopkins County Central

Hopkinsville

Logan County

Lone Oak

Madisonville-North Hopkins

Marshall County

Mayfield

McClean County

Metcalfe County

Monroe County

Muhlenberg County

Murray

Ohio County

Owensboro

Owensboro Catholic

Paducah Tilghman

Reidland

Russellville

South Warren

Todd County Central

Trigg County

Union County

Warren Central

Warren East

Webster County

The McCracken County old schools are mixed in there but you get the gist. There are 52 teams in the West, 57 in the East, 51 in Louisville Area, 37 in Lexington/Central and 27 in Northern Kentucky. I understand what you're saying, but I went with the list given to me.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Doesn't make much sense to me, seeing E'town is further east than Central Hardin or that LaRue County is in the same district as E'town (and most always has been) and those two teams are in separate "areas."

Maybe should have gone just straight up district Numbers (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8).

But because of the large amount of 6-A schools from Louisville, that would throw it off, too.

Don't think there's a perfect solution unless you just do it by class (which we already do, but it's always fun to compare schools regardless of class).

Either way, GREAT BREAKDOWN!

Well, Elizabethtown has North Hardin next, so we'll see in comparison with Caldwell.

Granted score comparison is not exactly the best way to determine who is better -- Were there players out? Weather determining if teams have to stray away from usual style? Unusual turnovers? Road or home? -- but if Elizabethtown absolutely handles North Hardin better than Caldwell or John Hardin, the Panthers should probably be higher.

I don't disagree with this NB, but Caldwell has better wins this year (granted they also have a loss, but they had 4 turnovers in that game). But this week will tell us alot as you say.

I don't disagree with this NB, but Caldwell has better wins this year (granted they also have a loss, but they had 4 turnovers in that game). But this week will tell us alot as you say.

Not disagreeing at all.

E'town's first two wins were cupcakes. Many teams would have started 2-0 against that schedule.

That being said, E'town was NOT a trendy pick to beat North Oldham. Lots of folks -- especially in the E'town area itself, not just Oldham -- figured E'town would crumble in its first big test. And E'town dominated the game from start to finish.

Unfortunately for E'town, North Hardin won't have near as much bus lag this week as it did by playing at Caldwell.

But depending on how things shake out, maybe BOTH E'town and Caldwell deserve to be in top 10. Or E'town loses and the discussion stops.

Join us next week as ...

I'd take Russellville out and put in E'Town. Nothing against the Panthers, but, the N.Oldham win trumps Butler Co win and both played cupcakes the 1st 2 weeks, and, even there, the E'Town wins were more impressive than Russellville's. I definitely think Caldwell should remain in Top 10 and thought about even taking Graves out, but, that Murray win was solid and the Hop'Town loss doesn't look as bad as the week's wear on.