JV Isn't Varsity

Clyde

Every year, and maybe moreso this past week, we read on here "maybe the varsity coach should move some of the JV boys up to varsity." Dads who have lost perspective.

JV boys are JV for a reason - they're not ready for varsity. Usually, they're not ready physically. My son and his class played A LOT of varsity as sophomores and with one exception they simply weren't ready physically.

Add in that the coaches have had a lot of time and practices to make a determination and your boy has been deemed to not be ready.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that the success they have in a JV game will translate to Friday nights.

Coaches know.

P.S. Don't make yourself look even sillier by saying the coach plays "politics."

I've seen teams torn apart by parents saying stuff like this and getting in the ears of players telling they aren't getting theirs. The next time I see a coach that doesn't do everything they can to win when it comes to playing time for kids will be the first time.

I remember a coach having a meeting with all of us freshman parents many years ago. He said I'll talk to you about anything except "playing time". Your son is more than welcome to talk to me about playing time. If you want to know why your son isn't playing more, ask him, if he's truthful he will tell you...because he knows.

I said it in another thread. You can't judge a kids ability through JV games because what is lost is the fact that they aren't playing against the other teams best players period.

JV is basically meant as a learning tool for the players and coaches to see what they can do and coaches to see what they have for the future.

A lot of time freshman games are easier to judge the talent for the future than a JV game because they are playing against their peers of equal ability.

The way I've always looked at JV is it is a tool for younger guys to learn and also a great reward for those scout team guys who get their butts kicked all week. The scout team is the most important aspect of a team. You have a great scout team, your varsity team is more prepared. The year Cooper went to state, in the playoffs some freshmen were brought up for scout team. I believe those same kids were a couple stars from the game this past Friday... A certain running back as well as a certain lineman.

Very good thread. I agree and will say that although some jv kids will dress with the varsity on Fridays is no indication that they will play or even should play. Most kids understand that and haven't any big problems until a parent starts complaining, telling his kid and anyone else that will listen that the "coach is stupid, has it out for his boy ...etc.." At times, a JV player dresses on Friday night due to a reward for lack of a better term. He has played well in a jv game and/or worked hard in practice and the coaches "choose him to dress" for that week.

Being a fan of very small 1A school, JV players often dress and if the game is a blowout then he may get in, no guarantees. That's usually determined if the opponent has also substituted, not having a undersized, weaker kid play vs. Varsity players.

Coaches sees these kids every day in practice, know what they can and cannot do, what their attitudes are like and/or whether or not they are mature enough and physically capable of competing on a varsity level.

Bottom line - Let the coaches, coach - the players, play and Support All. Should a parent have a problem, question or complaint then there is a right and wrong way to go about it. Right way - go directly to the coach, Not in front of kids or any other parent. Talk to the coach in a calm, adult manner. IMO just about any decent coach will appreciate that and will have no problem talking, explaining is position and why he came to that decision. That doesn't mean that parent will like or agree with the coaches answer but it does usually get an answer. ... Go in as "daddy know it all", confronting a coach in a manner that you're right, he's an idiot along with telling everyone in the community about it and coach bashing to everyone and frankly, that person doesn't deserve an answer. A parent that goes about it in the right / proper manner does deserve and will usually get an explanation. I know that I went on but whining, complaining parents are a big pet peeve of mine.