Adrian Beltre - Future HOFer?

Is Beltre HOF-worthy?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is Beltre HOF-worthy?

• Definitely
    • Maybe, but not first-ballot by any stretch
    • Nope

They said on the Yankees-Rangers game last night that Adrian Beltre has played in 2,500 games, and is now second ALL-TIME behind only my boyhood idol Brooks Robinson in games started at the hot corner. I wouldn't have guessed it. A career .280+ hitter, 400+ homers, nearly 2,700 hits.

Is he in?

Yes. He'll be in.

He's going to have over 3,000 hits, 1,500 RBI, and probably around 450 HRs.

He's won 4 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers, he's won a HR crown, he's finished top 5 in average 5 times.

He's finished top 10 in MVP voting 4 times, including a 2nd place and a 3rd place finish.

My guess is that he will be elected. He will approach Brooks Robinson's career starts at third mark (unless converted to a DH soon). He will have 3,000 hits and 450 homers. For someone who (I think) hasn't been tainted by the PED issue, that should be enough.

Beltre is 36, don't know if he will make it to 40 and still be able to play every day.

He has been a late bloomer in his career which is unfortunate. If he played in his mid 20's like he has in his early 30's he'd definitely be in.

^He's got another 3-4 years to go. He's on pace to be at 2,750 by season's end. He'll get there, and do so rather easily IMO, barring any major injuries.

Mike Schmidt won an MVP when he was 36, and still only had 280 hits in his next (and final) three seasons. I'm not debating whether Beltre can do it, but I don't know that I'd agree with it being done easily.

From B-R:

Similar Batters through 35

Al Kaline (845) *

Eddie Murray (843) *

Cal Ripken (825) *

Billy Williams (816) *

Rafael Palmeiro (816)

Jim Rice (813) *

Dave Winfield (812) *

Aramis Ramirez (811)

Dale Murphy (810)

Carl Yastrzemski (809) *

7/10 are in the HOF. Had the writers continued voting for steroid-tainted hitters Palmeiro would have almost certainly made it.