Because the laws restricting pseudo-ephedrine have been so successful....

All Tell

Not that big of a deal IMO. Many pharmacies already keep any dextromethorohan products behind the counter anyways because it is prone to being stolen as at high doses it can cause euphoria and some hallucinations. Teenagers were abusing this stuff long before the sudafed law was passed but it's just being looked at more harshly now.

The only thing that is different is just the ID and quantity limits but it's not like they aren't going to give what you need. You just won't be able to buy 5 boxes of the stuff at a time.

And to just put this in perspective, I am a pharmacist so I'll be the one you'll be dealing with on a regular basis for the stuff ;).

Not that big of a deal IMO. Many pharmacies already keep any dextromethorohan products behind the counter anyways because it is prone to being stolen as at high doses it can cause euphoria and some hallucinations. Teenagers were abusing this stuff long before the sudafed law was passed but it's just being looked at more harshly now.

The only thing that is different is just the ID and quantity limits but it's not like they aren't going to give what you need. You just won't be able to buy 5 boxes of the stuff at a time.

And to just put this in perspective, I am a pharmacist so I'll be the one you'll be dealing with on a regular basis for the stuff ;).

The difference is I'll have to stand in a line at a pharmacy counter to get an OTC medication. I have better things to do with my time. Why not put all OTC medications behind the pharmacy counter since pretty much every medication can cause harm if taken improperly? Have the laws had a demonstrable effect on the abuse of any medication? I certainly still seem to hear about meth labs on a fairly regular basis. And then there's that whole uptick of heroin use and the increase in HIV cases because of shared needles (which I would assume are also controlled in their distribution, how's that working out?) since the KASPER laws took effect. Before the nanny state laws went into effect it seemed like Claritin D was on sale quite often, now not so much. I've said these laws were stupid before, I still think they are. I hope you don't work at the pharmacy where I tend to get my medications at. I very unfairly tend to take my frustrations on these asinine laws out on the people there. Bottom line is that people that are stupid enough to abuse drugs will find a way. These laws just make it more difficult for people without nefarious intentions to get medicines they need.

...we're now going to apply the same Draconian rules to cough medicine.

LINK

The aforementioned limitations of Sudafed lead to an big uptick in heroin use. What will this lead to?

I think the Draconian rules only apply to not selling to those under 18...is that really Draconian?

It's all about you , isn't it .

If any of the laws had a demonstrable effect in reducing the problems they were intended to I MIGHT be more convinced, but just like the restrictive gun laws in places like Chicago and Baltimore they haven't and with the rise of heroin abuse and the ancillary issues that have come with that I think we're actually worse off them before them. Just like the gun laws they are nothing more then feel good window dressing so pols can say they did something when if fact they didn't.

The difference is I'll have to stand in a line at a pharmacy counter to get an OTC medication. I have better things to do with my time. Why not put all OTC medications behind the pharmacy counter since pretty much every medication can cause harm if taken improperly? Have the laws had a demonstrable effect on the abuse of any medication? I certainly still seem to hear about meth labs on a fairly regular basis. And then there's that whole uptick of heroin use and the increase in HIV cases because of shared needles (which I would assume are also controlled in their distribution, how's that working out?) since the KASPER laws took effect. Before the nanny state laws went into effect it seemed like Claritin D was on sale quite often, now not so much. I've said these laws were stupid before, I still think they are. I hope you don't work at the pharmacy where I tend to get my medications at. I very unfairly tend to take my frustrations on these asinine laws out on the people there. Bottom line is that people that are stupid enough to abuse drugs will find a way. These laws just make it more difficult for people without nefarious intentions to get medicines they need.
Well aren't you just a peach of a customer...I bet they love to see you coming.

I think the Draconian rules only apply to not selling to those under 18...is that really Draconian?

It's already age restricted. Why not enforce that restriction? Clerks regularly (or at least they are supposed to) card for alcohol and tobacco purchases. Why does this need to be any different? Why not some common sense? No we add another layer of bureaucracy.

Meth Labs found in KY dropped from around 1800 in 2011 to less than 500 last year in KY

Missouri the king of Meth Labs has dropped form a high of 2100 down to around 1000 last year.

Most of the sudaphed used for Meth being made in these states comes from two places, out of state Sudaphed or from straw purchases made by people just paid to buy the limit each month.

It's already age restricted. Why not enforce that restriction? Clerks regularly (or at least they are supposed to) card for alcohol and tobacco purchases. Why does this need to be any different? Why not some common sense? No we add another layer of bureaucracy.

I think that's all the law is doing, clearing up that the age needs to verified. If you leave it on the counter you will continue to have kids just grab it off of the counter and either pocket it or drink the entire bottle right there in the store.

Before Sudaphed went behind the counter there was 4 to 5 times as much stolen for illegal purposes than there was purchased for legal use...in fact there was hardly ever any on the counter for people that actually needed it because the abusers either bought or stole every package that came in.

Meth Labs found in KY dropped from around 1800 in 2011 to less than 500 last year in KY

Missouri the king of Meth Labs has dropped form a high of 2100 down to around 1000 last year.

Most of the sudaphed used for Meth being made in these states comes from two places, out of state Sudaphed or from straw purchases made by people just paid to buy the limit each month.

And how has heroin use trended?

And how has heroin use trended?

You think that was the intention of the law to increase heroin?

I wonder how many innocent kids have been harmed/killed by drinking heroin residue from a cup, how many homes have burned down because a heroin lab blew up?