June 15, 201511 yr Looking for a good used car. Found two good deals on low mileage cars on Craigelist. Contacted the sellers on both and both responded with more pictures and stories why they are selling lower than blue book. One is military and being deployed other husband died and it was his car. One owner goes thru EBay and the other thru Amazon. They ship u the car free and eBay and Amazon holds the money for five days. So u get a five day test drive. My dad said if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Has anybody ever bought a car like this before or know anybody?
June 15, 201511 yr The military story is a scam. I've seen it on there previously. Any mention of Ebay is a scam as well.
June 15, 201511 yr If it's too good to be true it more than likely is. And no way would I ever pay any money for a car before I could see and drive it. Here is a summary of how the scam works Car Seller Scam - Common online car scam takes your money and you get no car
June 16, 201511 yr ..... I wouldn't buy a car via E-Bay or Craigslist under any condition. Period. Risk outweighs the reward.
June 16, 201511 yr ..... I wouldn't buy a car via E-Bay or Craigslist under any condition. Period. Risk outweighs the reward. I have purchased (I think ) two via Craigslist. No different than an ad in the paper. You go check out the car and decide if you like it. EBay is different. I'd only use it for hard-to-find cars and I'd still go check it out , even if I had to fly there, before any money leaves my tightly-clenched hands.
June 16, 201511 yr ..... I wouldn't buy a car via E-Bay or Craigslist under any condition. Period. Risk outweighs the reward. I'd be hesitant, but I would probably be okay buying one from Craigslist, assuming I got to meet the owner, test-drive the vehicle, inspect paperwork, etc. Zero chance I'm buying one from an individual online without test-driving it.
June 16, 201511 yr Brother in law bought a car on eBay. He had no problems. He had to go get the car or pay for it to be delivered.
June 16, 201511 yr I bought an SUV on eBay. Do your homework and deal with reputable sellers and you're ok. No regrets.
June 16, 201511 yr I've bought 3 vehicles on EBay over the years. In each situation I had 5 days to pay and was able to drive the car/truck before paying for it. You can always decline any EBay item if the seller misrepresents what he is selling. I would be leery of anyone who wanted full payment up front without letting you test drive it. Craigslist is pretty much like running an ad in the paper. Don't see any problems there.
June 16, 201511 yr I had a co worker scammed on a deal too good to be true. She sent the money and never heard from them again. I think that was Craigslist. I also have two brothers in law who have bought autos from Craigslist. They had no problem. I have to agree with 75C, do your homework, especially checking out the sellers ratings.
June 16, 201511 yr I bought an SUV on eBay. Do your homework and deal with reputable sellers and you're ok. No regrets. I have no issue with buying a car on eBay. As long as you don't everything under their rules and guidelines. These scams usually draw you in with great pricing and a sad story, and then ask for payment outside of Ebays system, which if you do, leaves you completely unprotected. Craigslist would worry me a little more. But as long as you could drive it and check it out, I don't see any issues. Remember though, Carfax doesn't tell you who owns the vehicle, it just gives you a vehicle history.
June 16, 201511 yr I have bought 3 cars on craigslist and 1 travel trailer on EBAY and have had zero problems with any of them. There are scams on craigslist but mostly it just like an ad in the paper. You show up, test drive car, go to bank and exchange money for title and have it notarized. I have only bought cars that sellers had clean title in hand. I did the same with my travel trailer on ebay.
June 18, 201511 yr Bought and sold 1 each on Craigslist with no problems. This is paradoxical whining – but the only issue as a Craigslist seller is that your phone blows up. There are constant calls/texts, morning, noon, night. If you use your phone for work it’s very distracting. You repeat the same story 1,000 times. Although that IS the goal - the car sold within a few days thankfully.
June 18, 201511 yr Sold a very expensive car to a guy that didn't want to drive it or even look under the hood. I just had the car sitting next to a road with lots of traffic. This guy looked like he was living on the riverbank. Come to find out he was living in a cabin cruiser on the Ohio. I meet him at my car and he has a brown paper bag full of $100 bills. Talk about suspicious, it was me that was, not him. We made the deal and both of us were happy. You just never know.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.