American Pharoah Is The Twelfth Horse To Win The Triple Crown

American Pharoah was being pressured somewhat through out the race to the finish line.

Secretariat was not pressured at all through out the race. What would his time be if he had been whipped throughout and / or challenged till the end? Much faster IMO.

Secretariat would win by a bunch, no doubt about it.

Agree.

There's never been a horse that ever lived that could have beaten Secretariat. Super Horse. Not only did he win the Triple Crown, he broke the track record for all 3 races.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree.

There's never been a horse that ever lived that could have beaten Secretariat. Super Horse. Not only did he win the Triple Crown, he broke the track record for all 3 races.

Well, I will correct myself a little bit. Onion somehow did it. But that had to rank as one of the greatest upsets of all time. A Buster Douglas feat. Maybe Secreatariat wasn't feeling at his best that day.

Better watch that race again, Secretariat was pushed HARD for the first half of the race. The other horses died out and he was able to cruise home without any more pressure which saves energy and actually helps a horse. AP came home faster than Secretariat.

Regardless, Secretariat wins by daylight over just about any horse in history. If he's not the best he's a close second. AP is the first TC winner in 37 years which makes him special in his own right.

If Secretariat isn't the best, then it's Man-o-War.

AP winning the triple crown isn't any more special than all the others that have won it. It might be special to you because you witnessed it live, but that is not what you said. If I would bring in the facts the track records that still stand on behalf of Secretariat, there isn't much of an argument, is there? :cool:

Obviously Secretariat was a once in a lifetime horse, probably even rarer than that. AP certainly proved himself worthy to the naysayers though.

I thought you would agree with me. :thumb: It's all good,75.

If Secretariat isn't the best, then it's Man-o-War.

AP winning the triple crown isn't any more special than all the others that have won it. It might be special to you because you witnessed it live, but that is not what you said. If I would bring in the facts the track records that still stand on behalf of Secretariat, there isn't much of an argument, is there? :cool:

I'd like to know who you're arguing with. Show me anyone that says Secretariat isn't the best horse in history unless possibly Man O War. AP winning the TC isn't more special than the others, they're all special. But why do some feel the need to diminish his accomplishment by comparing him to a horse that has maybe one equal in history? Let's celebrate something that is special because it hasn't been accomplished in 37 years.

I thought you would agree with me. :thumb: It's all good,75.

Nobody is more impressed than I am with Secretariat. I remember watching him run and all the hoopla surrounding him. I just wasn't into horseracing at the time. However, my grandfather who saw Man O War run always insisted that he would beat Secretariat given the conditions MOW ran under with the weight and lack of a starting gate. It's a tough call but no one else is in the conversation, that's for sure.

I'd like to know who you're arguing with. Show me anyone that says Secretariat isn't the best horse in history unless possibly Man O War. AP winning the TC isn't more special than the others, they're all special. But why do some feel the need to diminish his accomplishment by comparing him to a horse that has maybe one equal in history? Let's celebrate something that is special because it hasn't been accomplished in 37 years.

Because I had to walk to and from school back in the day. With no shoes. Uphill. Both ways.

Be interesting to see what other races offer a larger purse to try and lure AP or at least get some pub from it.

Saw an interview with Baffert this morning and he says he's feeling more pressure on AP's next race than the Belmont. He won't run him until he's razor sharp, that's for sure.

Well, I will correct myself a little bit. Onion somehow did it. But that had to rank as one of the greatest upsets of all time. A Buster Douglas feat. Maybe Secreatariat wasn't feeling at his best that day.

Angle Light beat him in the Wood as well. I agree with the opinions that Secretariat was one of a kind. However, I think the fact that he lost three times also shows that even the best horse requires training, a good ride and sometimes a little luck. Also, there is also the possibility that another horse can just have a special day. Bill Nack (who wrote the book that the movie Secretariat was based on) stated that Secretariat's flaw was that he was managed by humans.

If you are a fan of Secretariat, I recommend the book.

Secretariat lost 5 out of 21 races in his lifetime including a 3rd place and 4th place finish. To many people that gives the edge to Man O War who only lost one race when he was reported to have been facing the wrong way at the start. These horses aren't machines but for a period of 5 weeks in spring of 1973 Secretariat performed like one.

The Lexington Children's Museum used to have a scale model of Secretariat's heart along side a standard horse's heart. It was like comparing a basketball to a softball, very impressive.

The run times in all the races at Belmont Park were really fast yesterday. I don't know why but they were. Absolutely not taking anything away from AP. I watched AP in the last four races that he won, mostly hand ridden and deserved to win the triple crown. Kudos to Victor for not letting Murphy's law have any say in the matter. :dancingpa

Diminishing?

I owe 75 an apology. I miss read one of his posts and thought he was talking about AP when in reality he was talking about Secretariat. (Sorry 75) :cool: