American Pharoah Is The Twelfth Horse To Win The Triple Crown

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just loved how he put an exclamation point on it. When it looked like he might get challenged, he threw it into another gear and ran away.

This. When they came around the last turn and Frosted started making a move I told my wife he was going to lose. He came out too fast. Then I'll be darned if AP didn't have plenty left. Just pulled away from Frosted.

And he was not exactly pushed as he won by like 693 lengths. Just think if a horse pushed him...

Not sure how accurate it is, but saw on Twitter yesterday that Secretariat would have won yesterday's race by 15 lengths.

American Pharoah's team just won the first Triple Crown in 37 years. And in addition to carving their names into the history books, they also won a small share of money for their win at the Belmont Stakes on Saturday.

It appears that making history was enough for jockey Victor Espinoza and trainer Bob Baffert and his wife, Jill -- because they just donated a whole lot of money to charity.

The news was first reported by The Courier-Journal.

"At the wire I was like, 'I cannot believe I did it,'" Espinoza said. "I (won) the Triple Crown race now, but I didn't make any money, because I donated my money to the City of Hope."

In addition to Espinoza donating all of the money he earned at Belmont to a California cancer treatment center, the Bafferts will be donating a total of $150,000 to three different charities. Those three charities are the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, the California Retirement Management Account, and Old Friends Farm.

Each of the three will receive $50,000.

"I want to share this, I want to make sure that those horses that we really love, we have to take care of them," Bob Baffert said after winning on Saturday. "Win, lose, or draw, I was going to do it."

I've watched the race probably 8 times now. I just get chills. This is all I've wanted to see as a fan of these races for so, so long. The only thing I wish is that this had come when Dave Johnson was calling the races. I would scarcely be able to handle it if I got to hear "And DOWN the stretch they come!" to American Pharoah winning.