Should Highlands change their nickname/mascot?

dallaslaredo

I get the sense that not everyone, present and past, associated with Highlands High School is completely thrilled having "Bluebirds" as their team name. Let's be honest, in a world of Cougars, Eagles, Panthers, and Jaguars, it's at the bottom of the predator scale, unless you're a worm. It is semi-unique and there is a long tradition, but it's not like there's a geographical reason to keep it (like Pioneers or Colonels)

Are you OK with "Bluebirds" or would you change it? And to what? I would upgrade to BlueJays - still unique and keeps the blue part.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the sense that not everyone, present and past, associated with Highlands High School is completely thrilled having "Bluebirds" as their team name. Let's be honest, in a world of Cougars, Eagles, Panthers, and Jaguars, it's at the bottom of the predator scale, unless you're a worm. It is semi-unique and there is a long tradition, but it's not like there's a geographical reason to keep it (like Pioneers or Colonels)

Are you OK with "Bluebirds" or would you change it? And to what? I would upgrade to BlueJays - still unique and keeps the blue part.

Been in Fort Thomas over 30 years and in the school system over 20 and not once in that time have I ever received that vibe from a single person. I've never even thought about it but I'm good with it. What's better than a little ol' Bluebird kicking someone's rear end? Other teams may need to call themselves Cougars, Eagles or Panthers to get the attention of the opponent. Not Highlands.

Once a Bluebird, always a Bluebird. Why would we want to change it? We are the only Bluebirds in the commonwealth of KY!

Fear the Bird. :angrybird12:

I think that is the point nobody fears a little tiny bird!