2 more cops shot and killed

jericho

And this is why the mistrust continues. You guys should do some research on some police departments and other law enforcement agencies that actually get it, and are able to get out in front of ugly situations by exercising a sensible media/public relations policy. It's amazing how peaceful those communities often are.

You guys rush to some extreme defensive position immediately, and it's just silly and bullheaded. There is only the most extreme circumstance where a "minute-by-minute" update is necessary, and that's those where there is significant immediate public risk.

But in controversial cases or even just those that attract a lot of media attention, a 15-minute press conference daily (and even less as things drag on and attention wanes) goes a long way toward projecting an image of justice and thoroughness, and helps get out in front of stupid misinformation that tends to fester wildly on places like Topix, where lunacy and speculation and conspiracy reigns.

I think if you would go back to the Michael Brown thread, you would see where I was saying let the investigation take it's course and let's wait for all the evidence to be gathered.

I may be pro police but am far from bullheaded.

Let's face it Jim, the ones that are going to riot are going to riot, the information doesn't matter to them, they have made up their mind already.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you would go back to the Michael Brown thread, you would see where I was saying let the investigation take it's course and let's wait for all the evidence to be gathered.

I may be pro police but am far from bullheaded.

Let's face it Jim, the ones that are going to riot are going to riot, the information doesn't matter to them, they have made up their mind already.

But if the police department in Ferguson hadn't already set a long precedent of stonewalling the public and bad race and media relations, wouldn't it have been a lot easier to get out in front of the Brown protests and neutralize them through a well-planned and cultivated public relations policy?

If nothing else, it gives the police a lot more leeway in cracking down on rioters by being up front about things and having already built some level of trust. And the general public would be a lot more likely to support such tactics if the community and the police department had fostered an open and supportive relationship, rather than an adversarial one.

Takes two to tango. The most harmonious communities tend to be those where law enforcement isn't a wallflower.

But if the police department in Ferguson hadn't already set a long precedent of stonewalling the public and bad race and media relations, wouldn't it have been a lot easier to get out in front of the Brown protests and neutralize them through a well-planned and cultivated public relations policy?

If nothing else, it gives the police a lot more leeway in cracking down on rioters by being up front about things and having already built some level of trust. And the general public would be a lot more likely to support such tactics if the community and the police department had fostered an open and supportive relationship, rather than an adversarial one.

Takes two to tango. The most harmonious communities tend to be those where law enforcement isn't a wallflower.

Maybe...but I doubt it. "Unarmed man with his hands up" was the mantra on the street and on the national news within a very short time, probably before the police even had a chance to meet with the press or the public. Definitely before the scene was even clear.

Maybe...but I doubt it. "Unarmed man with his hands up" was the mantra on the street and on the national news within a very short time, probably before the police even had a chance to meet with the press or the public. Definitely before the scene was even clear.

A more proactive department within the community is able to quickly diffuse this. It doesn't become the issue it does if Ferguson doesn't already have a terrible PR image.

A more proactive department within the community is able to quickly diffuse this. It doesn't become the issue it does if Ferguson doesn't already have a terrible PR image.
Again...maybe.

Is there a department any where with a good enough relationship to survive something like, "An officer shooting an unarmed black man with his hands in the air giving up." Pretty sure there would be outrage and probable violence in every city in America if that is what the people thought and were being told happened.

Ferguson may have been horrible before that entire episode happened or they could have been great...I don't think with the above narrative being spread it would have mattered.

As to your main point I agree, the relationship needs to be solid between the police and the citizens. In many cases it will and should lead to calm and understanding...but in some cases no matter the prior relationship people will still lose their minds and do stupid things.

Again...maybe.

Is there a department any where with a good enough relationship to survive something like, "An officer shooting an unarmed black man with his hands in the air giving up." Pretty sure there would be outrage and probable violence in every city in America if that is what the people thought and were being told happened.

Ferguson may have been horrible before that entire episode happened or they could have been great...I don't think with the above narrative being spread it would have mattered.

As to your main point I agree, the relationship needs to be solid between the police and the citizens. In many cases it will and should lead to calm and understanding...but in some cases no matter the prior relationship people will still lose their minds and do stupid things.

In some cases, I think, yes. It all depends on how the local populace views the police. If reasonable people in that community take an "I can see that happening here" stance instead of a "C'mon now, that's a bit far-fetched here, knowing what we know about the community" stance, then there's going to be lots more questions. It all boils down to how adversarial a stance, on a day-to-day basis, the police takes with the community it serves.

Restless communities are born from the fertile ground where all the crap falls after being deflected off the Thick Blue Wall.

In some cases, I think, yes. It all depends on how the local populace views the police. If reasonable people in that community take an "I can see that happening here" stance instead of a "C'mon now, that's a bit far-fetched here, knowing what we know about the community" stance, then there's going to be lots more questions. It all boils down to how adversarial a stance, on a day-to-day basis, the police takes with the community it serves.

Restless communities are born from the fertile ground where all the crap falls after being deflected off the Thick Blue Wall.

Restless communities are born from their socio-economic status, high crime rates and poor school systems. While there needs to be a good relationship between the police and the community, the "Thick Blue Wall" as you call it is not the major factor in a communities restlessness.