2 more cops shot and killed

jericho

Someone I know brought Obama up this morning (imagine that) saying how there is an increase in law enforcement officers being killed under Obama's presidency.

WRONG! Not including this year about 850 LEO's have been killed while Obama was president. Over 1,300 under W.

Where did you get these numbers. They seem to be out of line with the numbers in this article.

The FBI says far more law enforcement officers were killed in 2014 than in 2013 - The Washington Post

The number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty nearly doubled last year from the year before, according to statistics released Monday by the FBI. There were 51 law enforcement officers killed in 2014, a significant increase over the 27 officers who were killed in 2013, the FBI said.

While the number of officers killed significantly increased last year, that total is still lower than what the country has seen in recent decades. Between 1980 and 2014, there were an average of 64 law enforcement officers killed each year./QUOTE]

Your numbers would average way more than 64 per year for both presidents. Just trying to figure out what those numbers are based on.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said that. There are some that cater to blacks and over the years things are getting somewhat better between blacks and white politicians. At the same time, this is a newer trend in society.

In your opinion, should some black politicians do the same?

In your opinion, should some black politicians do the same?

Some do. Dr. Ben Carson being one. Colin Powell. Clarence Thomas. Jesse Watts. Stephen A. Smith and even Charles Barkley. There are more I'm sure as those are all off of the top of my head. My point being is that there will be some black politicians who will cater to blacks and their constituents only and that is always a problem for some (white)people. Yet no one ever mentions the endless amount of white politicians who have only catered to white people. Then let's look at the true amount of power that any of the black politicians have and the question I have is why does anyone care what they say? NOBODY is listening to what they say until they say something out of the way. Nevermind if they actually say something of substance. The one crazy line ruins their whole soliloquy.

This is is part of the struggle......

And for the record, I could truly reach everyone and mean it from my heart if I wanted to. Making people come together isn't hard. Getting an outlet and being given an opportunity to provide a voice without someone trying to crap all over you is extremely hard and it costs a whole lot of money.

Where did you get these numbers. They seem to be out of line with the numbers in this article.

The FBI says far more law enforcement officers were killed in 2014 than in 2013 - The Washington Post

The number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty nearly doubled last year from the year before, according to statistics released Monday by the FBI. There were 51 law enforcement officers killed in 2014, a significant increase over the 27 officers who were killed in 2013, the FBI said.

While the number of officers killed significantly increased last year, that total is still lower than what the country has seen in recent decades. Between 1980 and 2014, there were an average of 64 law enforcement officers killed each year./QUOTE]

Your numbers would average way more than 64 per year for both presidents. Just trying to figure out what those numbers are based on.

I would suspect 9/11 had a big impact on those numbers under Bush.

Some do. Dr. Ben Carson being one. Colin Powell. Clarence Thomas. Jesse Watts. Stephen A. Smith and even Charles Barkley. There are more I'm sure as those are all off of the top of my head. My point being is that there will be some black politicians who will cater to blacks and their constituents only and that is always a problem for some (white)people. Yet no one ever mentions the endless amount of white politicians who have only catered to white people. Then let's look at the true amount of power that any of the black politicians have and the question I have is why does anyone care what they say? NOBODY is listening to what they say until they say something out of the way. Nevermind if they actually say something of substance. The one crazy line ruins their whole soliloquy.

And for the record, I could truly reach everyone and mean it from my heart if I wanted to. Making people come together isn't hard. Getting an outlet and being given an opportunity to provide a voice without someone trying to crap all over you is extremely hard and it costs a whole lot of money.

I agree with most of what you say.

I disagree where you say nobody is listening. Maybe not enough, but there are those of US that are listening.

I think it's a problem when any politician caters only to one group or race of people.

I was under the impression violent crimes continue to decrease.

It seems like more innocent people get cought up in random violent crime then 30 years ago.

I just dont remember random college kids getting killed during petty robberies, car jackings ect ect.

I'm talking about the lack of respect for human life by the criminals that roam our streets.

I don't have stats to back that up, it just seems more frequent than 30 years ago. I know we live in a 24 hour news cycle and that does play into it some but not all.

Edited by TexasRanger
additional thoughts

Much of this is because of the way GOP state legislatures have gerrymandered both U.S. House and state legislative districts. It's simply a way to isolate the minority vote.

It seems like more innocent people get cought up in random violent crime then 30 years ago.

I just dont remember random college kids getting killed during petty robberies, car jackings ect ect.

I'm talking about the lack of respect for human life by the criminals that roam our streets.

I don't have stats to back that up, it just seems more frequent than 30 years ago. I know we live in a 24 hour news cycle and that does play into it some but not all.

I think it's perception.

Had a local guy write a letter to the editor just a week or so ago claiming how horrible now was because of everything from Nepal's earthquake to Baltimore to Ferguson. He even stated that it was not like this 45 years ago. (His time frame)

Ironically the letter was published on May, 4 2015. The 45 Anniversary of the Kent State Massacre. 1970 the US lost over 6,000 young people in that year alone to the Vietnam War. Not casualties, Deaths. A cyclone in the Ganges took over 500,000 souls.

For just about everytime we think it's horrible now, there were some pretty bad things in the other time frame as well.

To the "why aren't we seeing protests when police officers are killed " crowd:

Simple. We expect bad people to do bad things and officers are around bad people. We hate it but we get that it's a sad reality.

The opposite is not true. We do NOT expect police officers to do something illegal. We are shocked when it happens. It's a "man bites dog" type of story.

Why is there no public outrage over the death of Mathew Ajibade?

Maybe because 9 police officers have been fired as a result of his death and several could still face charges? Sounds like in that situation the police department did a thorough and unbiased investigation instead of immediately closing ranks.

Maybe because 9 police officers have been fired as a result of his death and several could still face charges? Sounds like in that situation the police department did a thorough and unbiased investigation instead of immediately closing ranks.

Makes a huge difference when it appears that justice is being served.

I agree with most of what you say.

I disagree where you say nobody is listening. Maybe not enough, but there are those of US that are listening.

I think it's a problem when any politician caters only to one group or race of people.

Definitely not enough listening but there are some that are listening.

To to your last line: that's still a bothersome issue in politics these days. Politicians are catering to the money and the votes and nothing else.

So when an investigation is completed and officers are cleared of wrong doing are those cases of closing ranks and biased investigations? Not really directing this at you, it just seems that if an officer is found to have acted in a just manner...the investigation is always deemed to be at fault. Then when an investigation brings discipline or charges then it was an open and unbiased investigation.

So when an investigation is completed and officers are cleared of wrong doing are those cases of closing ranks and biased investigations? Not really directing this at you, it just seems that if an officer is found to have acted in a just manner...the investigation is always deemed to be at fault. Then when an investigation brings discipline or charges then it was an open and unbiased investigation.

You know as well as I do that there have been more than a few high profile cases over the past couple of years where the police officer's actions have immediately been backed by the police department in the media without time for a thorough investigation. That creates an aura of mistrust. The public assume, whether rightly or wrongly, that the police will always back their officers no matter what. When a department is transparent about their investigation and gives a reason for their findings it gives a much more favorable impression of the justice system.