Dire predictions on the first Earth Day, 1970

All Tell

In the 1970's, all kinds of people (including college professors) were saying we were facing the next ice age. But people don't make fun of that...for some reason. The folks behind all this, I believe, want the government to have more and more control of the people. And a lot of well-meaning folk have bought into the story...first cold, now heat.

It's all well and good to dwell on No. 18, but I think the necessary response is that a lot of disasters were headed off at the pass by the massive global environmental undertakings that have happened in the years since.

Anyone read about the air quality in Beijing and still somehow think Nos. 9 and 12 are terribly off base?

Imagine a time before the development of high-yield crops, something that was just starting to come about in 1970. Are Nos. 4, 5, and 8 still that outrageous?

A lot has happened in the last 45 years. Much of it has saved lives and improved public health. Are some of these examples completely over the top? Sure... but show me someone who thinks the environmental and conservation movements haven't -- on the whole -- shaped our society for the better and I'll show you someone being deliberately obtuse.

It's all well and good to dwell on No. 18, but I think the necessary response is that a lot of disasters were headed off at the pass by the massive global environmental undertakings that have happened in the years since.

Anyone read about the air quality in Beijing and still somehow think Nos. 9 and 12 are terribly off base?

Imagine a time before the development of high-yield crops, something that was just starting to come about in 1970. Are Nos. 4, 5, and 8 still that outrageous?

A lot has happened in the last 45 years. Much of it has saved lives and improved public health. Are some of these examples completely over the top? Sure... but show me someone who things the environmental and conservation movements haven't -- on the whole -- shaped our society for the better and I'll show you someone being deliberately obtuse.

fc_obtuseang_41727_md.gif

A lot has happened in the last 45 years. Much of it has saved lives and improved public health. Are some of these examples completely over the top? Sure... but show me someone who thinks the environmental and conservation movements haven't -- on the whole -- shaped our society for the better and I'll show you someone being deliberately obtuse.

I'd like to think so; giving the vast majority the benefit of the doubt. But my guess is that some are simply led by the nose.

Call me obtuse then. First it was global cooling...then it was global warming...now it is just called climate change so all bases are covered. Universities have been caught faking the data too in some instances. This whole movement has cost many people jobs. Don't get me wrong. I want clean air as much as anybody else. But many in this movement are in it for government control and not for anything related to weather. For people to think mankind can actually create an ice age or a desert state in a decade or two when these things take hundreds or thousands of years to happen amazes me. I agree with Papa...a lot of people in the climate change camp are being led by the nose...

The point of the article was to show how some resorted to fear mongering with their outlandish predictions and look foolish today for crying wolf. There is still the crying of wolf today. Good efforts were made to clean the air and our waterways, but to think man is great enough to change the climate is, to borrow a word, obtuse.

In the 1970's, all kinds of people (including college professors) were saying we were facing the next ice age. But people don't make fun of that...for some reason. The folks behind all this, I believe, want the government to have more and more control of the people. And a lot of well-meaning folk have bought into the story...first cold, now heat.

Big difference between the ice age talk of the 70's and global warming talk of the 2000's is there wasn't social

media in the 70's and people couldn't state their opinions and have debates like today.

I remember the ice age talk very well and their were people that questioned it. It also wasn't used so much as a political tool as it is today either.

Anything that Paul Ehrlich says should be ignored.