Police now conducting manhunt in and near Covington

SportsGuy41017

Covington police manhunt underway near Greenup and 12th streets - Story

COVINGTON, Ky. — A manhunt is underway in Northern Kentucky for a man who shot a Covington police K-9 unit early Wednesday morning.

Covington Police Chief Spike Jones says Daleon Rice, 34, shot K-9 officer, "Ernie," twice while trying to evade arrest at 2:14 a.m. on outstanding warrants.

"Rice is the suspect in the stabbing of a family member that took place on Sunday in Covington," Jones said. "Rice attempted to evade police and police service dog “Ernie” was deployed."

Rice continued to fire at Ernie's handler before evading police. That Covington officer was not injured in the confrontation that happened near Greenup and 12th streets.

By 3 a.m. police had cordoned off the area as they searched for Rice.

Covington has more than its share of hardcore types, and I have to remind myself all the time to bite my tongue in certain situations.

Not too long ago I was standing in line maybe 3 deep at a carry out when a rough looking dude wedged his way by me to grab a beer out of a cooler near the checkout counter, and then planted himself directly in front of me cutting the line.

I said "Seriously man, you just flat out cut in front of me".

His relpy, "I just finished serving 17 years of hard time, you wanna make something of it?"

I replied "Guess not" and he says "That's what I thought", and then for fear of him waiting outside for me, I simply forfeited my purchase and got the heck out of there.

The justice system does the community no favors when they let these type of characters back into society. They just get out tougher and more ruthless and resentful than they were when they first went to jail.

^ I was reading something just a few days ago about how all of the development in OTR is driving up rent and driving many of those people to Covington. And due to the soup kitchen and other services are overwhelmed as well. I'm sure that some shady characters are among those people coming over.

There are times when I believe that mankind has devolved. Then I think about how brutal past civilizations could be, and I revise my thinking and get some hope. However, we cannot lower our expectations for civilized behavior. I don't think I would have been so tolerant of this guy. However, I have never had a burly guy cut in front of me in a line....100% of the time it has been a middle-aged woman, and they scare me.

^ I was reading something just a few days ago about how all of the development in OTR is driving up rent and driving many of those people to Covington. And due to the soup kitchen and other services are overwhelmed as well. I'm sure that some shady characters are among those people coming over.

Im sure that is true but this guy is likely a true CVG native. His last name is synonymous with crime in Covington. He obviously couldnt stand being a free man.