Sounds like Obama's going to get his legacy deal

I thought that's what he said.

I voted for Bush but the Iraq invasion was his biggest blunder. Took the sympathy of the world and turned the US into the aggressors IMO.

He said most people didn't want to vote for Bush after his first term. Which is a statement he can't back up with any proof.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember all the things I objected to in President Bush's time. I know there were many. But what I do vividly remember are my objections to going into Iraq. That one decision makes all the other decisions he made on other issues minor in comparison.

Time may have served to have proven him right on some of those earlier decisions before that fateful decision. Or we may have just come to absorb them and live with them without too drastic a change overall.

His decision to go into Iraq, no matter what the reasons, unleashed a chain of events that irrevocably destabalized the Middle East. We can all agree that Hussein needed to go. But we chose to take action that alienated the people of the Middle East, and we did not prepare for what would need to be in place to ensure a transition with the least amount of civil unrest possible. We ignited not only a war with Iraq, but a civil war within Iraq, and a citizenry suspect to the whims of extemists. And now, over a decade later, there is no end in sight.

Obamas decision to get out Iraq too soon is the reason the Iraq is destabilized.. Obama's Arab Spring is the reason the rest of the region is a mess... One could lay the war on Bush, but Obama is the reason for most, if not all the uprising in the middle east..

Obamas decision to get out Iraq too soon is the reason the Iraq is destabilized.. Obama's Arab Spring is the reason the rest of the region is a mess... One could lay the war on Bush, but Obama is the reason for most, if not all the uprising in the middle east..

I totally disagree with that one Cammando. While a lot of the blame you place on Obama is very true, the region has been destabilized ever since 2003. It was never "under control" at any real point.

I don't remember all the things I objected to in President Bush's time. I know there were many. But what I do vividly remember are my objections to going into Iraq. That one decision makes all the other decisions he made on other issues minor in comparison.

Not surprisingly, THIS.

Iraq was threat but not due WMDs. Iraq was selling oil to Europe in Euros, not USDs. This was allowing the Euro to get a foot hold to compete globally with the USD as the reserve currency of the globe. This would be bad for the Federal Reserve and for the US economy. WMDs were a nice excuse - sort of a Gulf of Tokin approach.

Four nations have offered oil in currency other than USDs since the deal in the 1970s done by Nixon to fund the Vietnam War - Iraq, Libya, Iran and....Russia. The first two had their charismatic leaders taken out by the US and left their countries in shambles. The third is where we are bending over backwards to get a deal with them and bring them back under the US/western influence. And the forth is where we are sabre rattling a lot over the Ukraine and Crimea.

Some say all these actions are 'about oil'. Somewhat true but the reality is that the practice of trading oil for USDs only is why there is demand for the dollars and why the Federal Reserve can literally print money. The Saudis and the US are now committed to the petro-dollar. Any threat to the status of the petro-dollar must be and is dealt with - through overt actions (Gulf War II), covert CIA type ops (Libya), Cold-war tactics (crashing oil prices to hurt Russia).

Iran is the current proxy-war in the battle to keep the USD the world reserve currency. The biggest threat from Iran is not Israel but to Saudi Arabia. If the Iranians destroy the Saudi regime and then the mandatory use of USD comes to and end the US will be done with as we know it. We would become the 1930s Germany overnight.

Some recent discussion on this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alastair-crooke/petrodollar

Not a conspiracy theorist, but this explains the disjointed actions of the Bush admin concerning Iraq.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't understand why folks vilify Bush for Iraq, yet support Hillary.. She was all about it and convinced many on the left to vote for the war...

Shhhh Commando. Can't let facts get in the way of a good talking point. :lol2:

I think people can say similar things in term of worst POTUS in history if we want to also go back and talk about the President before Obama in Bush that had the U.S. already falling way down hill. So as I said in another thread it is kind of funny hearing people act like it has been one party to put the country where it is today. The country was actually doing pretty good under Democrat Bill Clinton. Then the county started going way down hill under Republican Bush, and stayed down hill under Democrat Obama. It has been a team effort by both parties to bring this country down hill.

Because of Reaganommics and the continuing of that process from a mediocre George Bush. Clinton took over when the economy was booming, of course it went well under him. It would have been hard for him to not be a pretty good President.