J. B. Holmes

doomer

Was anyone else disappointed when J.B. layed up on the 18th hole in San Diego this past weekend? I can get that he had confidence in his up and in game...and it almost payed off, but he probably had a long to mid-iron into the green, and a birdie wins it straight out. I would have like to have seen him take the chance. Jason Day, the eventual TOURNEY WINNER, played in front of Holmes, and he had a worse like...longer and out of the rough, and he went for the green in two...going too long and parring, but I think it show the difference in confidence and mindset.

The only thing I can think is he felt he was between clubs or his lie was not what he liked. Looked like a decent lie, though. Otherwise, it appeared like a "no brainer".

True....I think they might have mentioned it was slightly downhill, but otherwise, looked ok. IMO he just decided to play conservatively and at worst tie. No doubt this could have, and almost did work out for him, but it won't win him the kind of fan enthusiasm as could be garnered for a guy that hits it as far as him and goes for the gold.

Was anyone else disappointed when J.B. layed up on the 18th hole in San Diego this past weekend? I can get that he had confidence in his up and in game...and it almost payed off, but he probably had a long to mid-iron into the green, and a birdie wins it straight out. I would have like to have seen him take the chance. Jason Day, the eventual TOURNEY WINNER, played in front of Holmes, and he had a worse like...longer and out of the rough, and he went for the green in two...going too long and parring, but I think it show the difference in confidence and mindset.

Totally agree. I was shocked when he laid up. When a pro has an iron in his hand FROM THE FAIRWAY and does not go for it, he deserves to lose.

Totally agree. I was shocked when he laid up. When a pro has an iron in his hand FROM THE FAIRWAY and does not go for it, he deserves to lose.

I didn't want to come off too harsh for our home boy...but that's how I felt.

I was very surprised for sure....however, that Sunday pin is extremely tough to get to even with a wedge, not to mention a 4 iron. All kinds of bad things could have happened. Obviously, he felt the chance for 4 was as good or better laying up as opposed to going for it. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he is the professional, not me.

Needing a birdie on the last to win, Holmes had only 235 yards for his second shot in regulation. He said the yardage left him in between clubs, and the downslope wasn’t ideal with a pond fronting the green and thick, gnarly rough behind the putting surface.

Long-hitting Holmes doesn't regret laying up | Golf Channel

He has no regrets, and I guess that's how you have to do it. Golf is the only game/sport I ever played that I literally have nightmares about.

Needing a birdie on the last to win, Holmes had only 235 yards for his second shot in regulation. He said the yardage left him in between clubs, and the downslope wasn’t ideal with a pond fronting the green and thick, gnarly rough behind the putting surface.

Long-hitting Holmes doesn't regret laying up | Golf Channel

He has no regrets, and I guess that's how you have to do it. Golf is the only game/sport I ever played that I literally have nightmares about.

He SAYS he has no regrets but I don't believe it. Like you Doomer, I bet he has tossed and turned about that shot. He is a pro IN THE FAIRWAY with a 5 iron in his hand and does not go for it? Sorry but that is not the play for a pro who is obviously playing well (not fighting his swing that week). I also would have liked to hear the conversation he had with his caddy before the shot.

I was very surprised for sure....however, that Sunday pin is extremely tough to get to even with a wedge, not to mention a 4 iron. All kinds of bad things could have happened. Obviously, he felt the chance for 4 was as good or better laying up as opposed to going for it. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he is the professional, not me.

You've forgotten more about golf than I'll ever know.

But if it was a tough pin with a wedge, why not hit the mid-iron?

You've forgotten more about golf than I'll ever know.

But if it was a tough pin with a wedge, why not hit the mid-iron?

Finally a subject I can speak for a game which I've dedicated my whole life on. I have had the oppertunity to play with JB and his instructor. Their wedge system is pretty simple for those of you that know the "clock" method for judging your wedge yardages.

Golfers never hit a shot that they are not 110% positive they can make, especially professionals. His was not 110% sure he could put himself in better position if he went for the par 5 in 2 than he could if he laid up. He chose the shot that he was confident in which just happened to be the smart/conservative shot. But lets face it he got screwed on the wedge shot, if that ball was 3 inches farther up the slope he gets the same out come he had in the playoff. But thats golf for ya.

Finally a subject I can speak for a game which I've dedicated my whole life on. I have had the oppertunity to play with JB and his instructor. Their wedge system is pretty simple for those of you that know the "clock" method for judging your wedge yardages.

Golfers never hit a shot that they are not 110% positive they can make, especially professionals. His was not 110% sure he could put himself in better position if he went for the par 5 in 2 than he could if he laid up. He chose the shot that he was confident in which just happened to be the smart/conservative shot. But lets face it he got screwed on the wedge shot, if that ball was 3 inches farther up the slope he gets the same out come he had in the playoff. But thats golf for ya.

Yep. And to be fair, he birdied 18 on the first playoff hole playing it the same way. Nevertheless, I really thought he would take a chance with a 4-iron in regulation.

And by the way - last time I saw you on the course it was at Laurel Oaks, #12. I had just hit a nice tee shot, around 20 feet hole high and left, but missed the putt by a couple of inches. You were helping out; maybe watering the green.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes over there.