J. B. Holmes

doomer

Yep. And to be fair, he birdied 18 on the first playoff hole playing it the same way. Nevertheless, I really thought he would take a chance with a 4-iron in regulation.

And by the way - last time I saw you on the course it was at Laurel Oaks, #12. I had just hit a nice tee shot, around 20 feet hole high and left, but missed the putt by a couple of inches. You were helping out; maybe watering the green.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes over there.

Yep that would be me! If you wanna find me in the summer thats the place to go. If I'm not traveling to tournaments then thats where I'll be.

Have got a chance to see the new lake out there yet? Completely changes hole 14, it's no longer a one of those "hit it anywhere near the green, get your birdie or par and go" holes. Now you've got water long, left, and right of the green.

But if you ever need another person to join your group let me know, I'd love to play with ya.

I tough pin for a wedge is a near impossible for a 4 iron, leaving a very difficult up and down for birdie. I think he was playing the percentages.

You've forgotten more about golf than I'll ever know.

But if it was a tough pin with a wedge, why not hit the mid-iron?

Another note that everyone forgot. The winner Jason Day in regulation(I think) had roughly the same second shot as JB. He hit the 4 iron(not for sure it was a 4 iron, but it was a long iron), Day had a compete miss hit came up well short. The only thing that saved him was he also missed it right of the water. So Day was aggressive and got lucky to even be in the playoff. That's golf. It wasn't JB's day.

Another note that everyone forgot. The winner Jason Day in regulation(I think) had roughly the same second shot as JB. He hit the 4 iron(not for sure it was a 4 iron, but it was a long iron), Day had a compete miss hit came up well short. The only thing that saved him was he also missed it right of the water. So Day was aggressive and got lucky to even be in the playoff. That's golf. It wasn't JB's day.

Day hit what looked to be a hybrid out of the rough on 18 for his 2nd and knocked it over the green where he had a tough pitch which very nearly ended up back over the front of the green and into the water. In play by only inches. He managed par, and as you mention, way lucky to make the play-off. In comparison, JB in the fairway and closer, chose to lay up. Day, in front of Holmes, was probably thinking he had to birdie. Holmes knew, worst case, a par would get him in the playoff. JB went with his comfort shot, and it gave him a shot to win, but probably didn't win him any fans.

Just read where JB said after the round, if his drive was shorter or longer he would have gone for it in 2, just didn't like the slightly downhill drive.

That would make sense, for me, I guess, because from 235 I would be hitting a 5 metal because it is my next club up from a 3-iron which I can only hit about 215. And with a slightly downhill lie, I would have to worry about height and carry. For a pro however, I wouldn't think that would be as much of a worry. But he's the guy who made $400 TUSD or so while I sat home and watched him, so I am sure he knows his game.