Update on the KDE BOE meeting. Webcast of the meeting available

Unfortunately By law 10 is pretty vague and poorly drafted in my opinion. Most of the by law addresses only involvement by the school and representatives of the school. However, the last sentence in Section 3 says the regulation also applies to "students or their parents". One would think it should say "students and their parents". Case study 10-2 does specifically state that the parent of a current player may not solicit a student from another school or his/her parent concerning athletic participation prior to enrollment at the new school. For what its worth, the case studies are just the KHSAA's interpretation of the rule and are not issued in substitution of the rule. My guess is that if a school was found guilty of recruiting as a result of one parent talking to another parent about transferring, without any involvement whatsoever by the school, it would have a hard time, based on the wording of By law 10, holding up in a court of law, although I have not done any research of the applicable court rulings. If they start policing what parents say to one another we've gone way too far in my opinion. Talk about Big Brother mentality. Geez.

This is correct, I think in LBBC's example though he/she was referring to parents and kids who were not enrolled in the school as of yet(8th graders or below).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is correct, I think in LBBC's example though he/she was referring to parents and kids who were not enrolled in the school as of yet(8th graders or below).

Yes, BUT, I teach in a one-horse town. One HS and One MS. If a child of our MS ballplayers have this conversation with a child from another school, does it constitute what Leatherneck pointed out? There is NO OTHER option for HS within our county. (Minus Homeschooling)

I don't think the KHSAA can/should/could make this enforceable. But I see this as the recruiting going on and I don't necessarily even think it should be illegal.

Yes, BUT, I teach in a one-horse town. One HS and One MS. If a child of our MS ballplayers have this conversation with a child from another school, does it constitute what Leatherneck pointed out? There is NO OTHER option for HS within our county. (Minus Homeschooling)

I don't think the KHSAA can/should/could make this enforceable. But I see this as the recruiting going on and I don't necessarily even think it should be illegal.

I think the other parent/student would have to be enrolled in the other high school, per the bylaw. I agree with your contention though that it would be very difficult to enforce what occured in a verbal conversation.

But that is NOT the issue that the majority of the state is concerned about. How this meeting transformed into a concern with recruiting when that is NOT the concern of coaches is beyond me

I can tell you exactly how that happened. The powers that be that are spearheading this movement (Wilson Sears et al) do have recruiting issues at heart. Regardless of what they say they want to make the private school as unattractive an option for parents as they can. They have diverted the attention from what may be the legitimate concerns of coaches to serving their own interests. Mr. Sears is worried that more private schools will take students out of his little fiefdom in Somerset. He intimated as much in his comments by expressing a concern about the number of private school students in the state. In other words many well meaning coaches have been pressured or duped into supporting a proposla that if passed almost certainly will not stand up to judicial scrutiny. The Brentwood case in Tennessee proves that.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060412/SPT0302/604120338/1078

Interesting note in this story. The voting may not occur until the October meeting. With these 3 proposals possibly on the voting calendar for October, will some school revive Prop 20 in another version for another vote in October?

They could but the BOE made it very clear they will not support anything that leads to separation of the public and private schools.

I can tell you exactly how that happened. The powers that be that are spearheading this movement (Wilson Sears et al) do have recruiting issues at heart. Regardless of what they say they want to make the private school as unattractive an option for parents as they can. They have diverted the attention from what may be the legitimate concerns of coaches to serving their own interests. Mr. Sears is worried that more private schools will take students out of his little fiefdom in Somerset. He intimated as much in his comments by expressing a concern about the number of private school students in the state. In other words many well meaning coaches have been pressured or duped into supporting a proposla that if passed almost certainly will not stand up to judicial scrutiny. The Brentwood case in Tennessee proves that.

I could see that happening but have no knowledge to say it is happening.

I do have one question on your attack on Mr. Sears. Where would the students in Somerset go for a private school? I am not aware of one within a reasonable driving distance.

I think this type of "recruiting" constitutes the vast majority of the "recruiting" going on. I put it in quotes because I really don't consider it recruiting. Its parents talking to one another, asking about certain programs, and yes in some cases, parents encouraging other parents to send their kids to certain schools. But again, if a parent wants to send a kid to a school strictly because of sports, I may not necessarily agree with it in some cases, but that's that parent's choice (however foolish or wrong we may think it may be). As long as there is no school involvement or encouragement of it, I really think its none of the KHSAA's business. Heck common sense would compel me to talk to a parent of the school system to get his or her opinion of the school system (athletics and academics) if I was thinking about sending my son there. Its rudimentary due diligence and would be a violation of my parental responsibilities if I didn't ask around before I choose my son's high school wouldn't it?

I think this type of "recruiting" constitutes the vast majority of the "recruiting" going on. I put it in quotes because I really don't consider it recruiting. Its parents talking to one another, asking about certain programs, and yes in some cases, parents encouraging other parents to send their kids to certain schools. But again, if a parent wants to send a kid to a school strictly because of sports, I may not necessarily agree with it in some cases, but that's that parent's choice (however foolish or wrong we may think it may be). As long as there is no school involvement or encouragement of it, I really think its none of the KHSAA's business. Heck common sense would compel me to talk to a parent of the school system to get his or her opinion of the school system (athletics and academics) if I was thinking about sending my son there. Its rudimentary due diligence and would be a violation of my parental responsibilities if I didn't ask around before I choose my son's high school wouldn't it?

I agree with this in it's entirety.

I could see that happening but have no knowledge to say it is happening.

I do have one question on your attack on Mr. Sears. Where would the students in Somerset go for a private school? I am not aware of one within a reasonable driving distance.

Mr. Sears made the point that it wasn't long ago that Lexington Christian and Christian Academy of Louisville were very small. He speculated that many small christian schools could grow up all over the state and become a problem for them. I find that attitude offensive on many levels.

Where to send your children to school is VERY important. I think that every parent should talk to other parents, interview teachers and administrators, visit classrooms and get any other information they can before they entrust their kids to a school. If Mr. Sears doesn't like the competition, too bad.

Mr. Sears made the point that it wasn't long ago that Lexington Christian and Christian Academy of Louisville were very small. He speculated that many small christian schools could grow up all over the state and become a problem for them. I find that attitude offensive on many levels.

I believe he is in correct in the number of Christian schools growing in this state. I don't agree that this is a bad thing. I think it would be a very good thing to be able to try and reestablish morals on a Christian basis back into this society. I wish more was able to use private schools.

Where to send your children to school is VERY important. I think that every parent should talk to other parents, interview teachers and administrators, visit classrooms and get any other information they can before they entrust their kids to a school. If Mr. Sears doesn't like the competition, too bad.

It's not competition on an equal basis. When private schools meet the needs of EVERY TYPE of student that public schools do, then it is competition. But when pick and choose the TYPE of STUDENT you want to educate, it is not competition.

To my surprise, it was said on here by the private school supporters that the private schools in this state DO NOT teach to meet the needs of ALL CHILDREN in this state. To only teach to the top 60-75% of the students and then claim you do a better job because of the quality of students that you produce, is comparing apples and oranges.

The exact argument that has been trying to be made by SOME/MOST but NOT ALL on the public side. Private and Public schools are apples and oranges but we are forcing them all in the same crate.

I agree 100%. These questions should surround academics.