Update on the KDE BOE meeting. Webcast of the meeting available

I don't think that the majority of schools in the state are more concerned about recruiting than they are about the private schools having a bigger boundary. The bigger boundary issue touches more public schools than the issue of recruiting does.

Honestly the boundary issue, should be a non-issue. A kid should be allowed to attend the closest Catholic High School to them, if they want a Catholic education period.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that happening but have no knowledge to say it is happening.

I do have one question on your attack on Mr. Sears. Where would the students in Somerset go for a private school? I am not aware of one within a reasonable driving distance.

While I am not extremely familiar with the geography os the Somerset area I was under the impression that there were some smallish private schools in that area.

I agree 100%. These questions should surround academics.

Define academics. Is a solid band program academics? Is a strong FFA program academics? Why would those be different than athletics?

We lost a student once because the drama program at a neighboring school was much stronger, so while rare, it does happen. That was going to be her major in college.

While I am not extremely familiar with the geography os the Somerset area I was under the impression that there were some smallish private schools in that area.

You might be right but I am not familiar with one. I lived there 15 years ago but things could be much different now.

For those of the Catholic faith, I believe LexCath would be the closest choice.

For those non-Catholic Christians, LexChristian might be the closest choice.

I really am not sure.

After a very quick Google Search of Private Schools +Somerset +ky I found this website that lists 2 k-12 private schools in Somerset.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/bycity/ky/?city=Somerset&showall=1&level=a

Thanks for the information. Seems like 2 HS's with enrollments K-12 of 132 and 65.

3 public HS's in that same area. Somerset, Pulaski and Southwestern.

And Somerset (the one Sears oversees) is the smallest is it not?

That same website shows the enrollment of Somerset High to be 506. If those schools grow at all it doesn't take many potential students opt away from Somerset High to have a drastic effect on enrollment and in turn the amount of state money they recieve.

Sears yesterday pointed out that Lexington Christian and Christian Academy of Louisville both started as small (read harmless) schools. The more I hear the man speak the more I'm convinced that he is out to damage private schools any way that he can.

That same website shows the enrollment of Somerset High to be 506. If those schools grow at all it doesn't take many potential students opt away from Somerset High to have a drastic effect on enrollment and in turn the amount of state money they recieve.

Sears yesterday pointed out that Lexington Christian and Christian Academy of Louisville both started as small (read harmless) schools. The more I hear the man speak the more I'm convinced that he is out to damage private schools any way that he can.

Somerset is the independent city school with the other two serving the rural areas of the county.

I think you are getting too tied up in the money situation. Now if you were going on about test scores, I agree with you.

Principals are more worried about CATS scores than $$$ although it is a concern. Let's take an honest look at what happens to private schools. In general, the students that score best in CATS testing is non-resource, top 50% of the class students.

What type of student generally but NOT all make that transition from public to private? Same type of student.

Are there any adjustments in the goals for schools when the top 50% of the students are leaving for private schools while the students that are NOT being served by programs through private schools stay in public schools? No.

So the students that can help you reach your state mandated goal are moving to schools that are PERCEIVED to be better academically when they very well are not necessarily.

Now if you are using this mindset as your rant, I could agree with you. $$$$ I don't necessarily buy. I know 80% of the talks we have in our public school is about CATS scores. $$$$ would be about 3% of the discussions.

And yet Lexington Christian still has less students than Somerset (400 in LCA and 500 in Somerset). And if he knew the workings of LCA he would know that they have no plans to grow past about 130 kids per grade which adds up to about 520 students. I think maybe he should be saying Lex Cath as the example since they grew so fast and are now a force to be reckoned with in almost all sports.

And yet Lexington Christian still has less students than Somerset (400 in LCA and 500 in Somerset). And if he knew the workings of LCA he would know that they have no plans to grow past about 130 kids per grade which adds up to about 520 students. I think maybe he should be saying Lex Cath as the example since they grew so fast and are now a force to be reckoned with in almost all sports.

If I lived close, my children would attend there in a heartbeat and I would pursue a job there.

With that said, I still hold the position that the two, private/public, are different beasts.

To my surprise, it was said on here by the private school supporters that the private schools in this state DO NOT teach to meet the needs of ALL CHILDREN in this state. To only teach to the top 60-75% of the students and then claim you do a better job because of the quality of students that you produce, is comparing apples and oranges.

That is true of SOME private schools. It is also true of SOME public schools. So what. It should be about every family choosing the best environment for their family.

Honestly the boundary issue, should be a non-issue. A kid should be allowed to attend the closest Catholic High School to them, if they want a Catholic education period.

Why? Who are you, or anyone else to tell me what school I'm allowed to send my children to? They are my kids, not yours or anyone elses.

Why? Who are you, or anyone else to tell me what school I'm allowed to send my children to? They are my kids, not yours or anyone elses.

I don't think Big Stud was implying that a child should only be able to attend the closest private school. I think he was saying that if there is not a Catholic or Christian high school within the 20 mile radius that some proposed, that the child should be allowed to attend the closest one.

For instance, if someone in Frankfort that lives 22 miles as the crow flies from Lex Cath wants to send their child to Lex Cath they should be allowed to if there is not a Catholic high school any closer.

Correct me if I am wrong Big Stud.

That is true of SOME private schools. It is also true of SOME public schools. So what. It should be about every family choosing the best environment for their family.

I would say that the number of public schools that it includes is on one hand. By state law a public school HAS to teach to the level of EVERY student enrolled in their school. If they don't than they have to financially provide for that education. For some students that has been enrolled in my district, we had to provide transportation and cost of them attending a school in another county to provide them the appropriate education.

Again, that is at the public school districts COST. They can't shirk that responsibility. If a student is expelled and meets certain criteria, we have to provide them an education at OUR cost EVEN if they are EXPELLED.

Not sure privates have that same criteria placed on them.

I think you might being a little sensitive here. I think BigStud is agreeing with you that a student should be able to attend wherever they chose. Boundaries should not be an consideration in any form or fashion.