ISIS vs. The Crusades

cammando

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except we are afraid to call them Muslim extremist. We are also afraid to admit that while not all are willing to kill in the name of religion, a very large population of Muslims have very extreme views and intolerance that most on the left would normally be angry with.

What is it that one poll said "70% of muslims in Egypt believe the proper punishment for leaving the religion is death". So while not all are terrorists, there is an ideology and a scary one at that and we refuse to acknowledge a problem and breeding ground for all this violence.

I agree with your basic contention. These aren't soccer hooligans or day traders who are beheading hostages, these are religious extremists who are passionate, and then some, about Islam. Having said that, both Bush and now Obama have gone to great lengths not to make the faith the enemy ... for good reason. We can't afford to alienate even more people in that part of the world.

In strolling through my Christian hymnal, I spotted a section titled "Christian warfare."

"The Son of God goes forth to war

A kingly crown to gain.

His blood-red banner streams afar;

Who follows in his train?" ...

--------------------

"Stand up, stand up for Jesus,

ye soldiers of the cross!

Lift high his royal banner

it must not suffer loss.

From victory unto victory

His army shall he lead

Till every foe is vanquished

and Christ is Lord indeed."

The phrase "blood-red banner" is strong imagery indeed.

Now, unless I am mistaken, this was a condemnation of all killings in the name of God, correct? Pope Francis has mentioned about the same thing the past week as well, basically talking against war in the name of God.

I don't read it as him comparing ISIS to the others, he just happened to mention other events that were said to have been done in the name of God.

Franklin Graham: In response to President Barack Obama drawing a parallel between the barbaric acts of the Islamic State today with actions by Christians during the Crusades, which ended 700 years ago, evangelist Franklin Graham said there was a difference between Jesus Christ who “taught peace “ and did “not take life” versus Mohammed, who “was a warrior and killed many innocent people.”

Reverend Graham further said that, “True followers of Christ emulate Christ – true followers of Mohammed emulate Mohammed.”

Rev. Graham is right on this matter. Jesus Christ was an itinerant religious leader. Mohammad was a religious, political, and military leader. Jesus preached peace and love. Mohammad led armies and conquered vast territories of the Middle East. Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword” (Matthew 26:52). Mohammad advocated “Jihad” or “holy war” as a just means to spread Islam. Jesus never married. Mohammad had several wives, including a nine year old girl. Franklin Graham; Difference Between Christianity and Islam | The Federalist Papers

We have different definition of literally by the way.

Well, I don't think he was raising a metaphorical problem when he listed atrocities in the name of Islam, which you seem to imply "the left" would not admit are a problem.

But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

Perhaps you meant he should have said the term "Muslim extremist" verbatim in this specific speech, but that seems like splitting hairs. (This was also a speech at the National Prayer Day Breakfast where he supported the idea that religion could and should be used for good in the world, so I'm not sure why you expected an anti-Islamic diatribe). I don't find these remarks to be evidence of some kind of unwillingness to admit extremism is a problem in the world and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't say that it is a problem.

I also don't see anything in the speech tantamount to comparing Christianity to ISIS, either. If you believe that ISIS are extremists, then you at least tacitly acknowledge his point, which is that religions have been distorted and used to justify all sorts of terrible things throughout history. It's not unique to Islam. I thinks some of you all would find offense in Obama mentioning the sun is bright.

And for the record, I have no interest in condoning or defending the way Islam is practiced in some parts of the world, whether the rigid theocracies of the Middle East or by the lunatics in Boko Haram, ISIS, et al, but that also doesn't mean I can't also repudiate bigotry and the characterizing all people who profess to be Muslims as inherent terrorists. I have no problem with people practicing their faiths - whatever they might be - so long as they don't infringe on others' rights and I have no problem criticizing any person who wants to step on others' rights in the name of their religion, especially in the Western world. I see nothing contradictory in any of that.

Franklin Graham: In response to President Barack Obama drawing a parallel between the barbaric acts of the Islamic State today with actions by Christians during the Crusades, which ended 700 years ago, evangelist Franklin Graham said there was a difference between Jesus Christ who “taught peace “ and did “not take life” versus Mohammed, who “was a warrior and killed many innocent people.”

Reverend Graham further said that, “True followers of Christ emulate Christ – true followers of Mohammed emulate Mohammed.”

Rev. Graham is right on this matter. Jesus Christ was an itinerant religious leader. Mohammad was a religious, political, and military leader. Jesus preached peace and love. Mohammad led armies and conquered vast territories of the Middle East. Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword” (Matthew 26:52). Mohammad advocated “Jihad” or “holy war” as a just means to spread Islam. Jesus never married. Mohammad had several wives, including a nine year old girl. Franklin Graham; Difference Between Christianity and Islam | The Federalist Papers

The Bible encourages atrocities in the name of God as well.