Owner of establishments interfering with their security people.

SportsGuy41017

Has anyone been to an establishment where the owner tells the security people how to do their job, and/or interferes with them doing their job the correct way?

I have seen this at several places over the past few years, owners or managers who have no background in security or protection telling their trained security people what to do and what not to do concerning security.

Being in the field, it's a disturbing trend that I see, and as I have always said, it will only lead to very serious issues down the road.

Are we talking about concert venues with huge crowds or bars or what? What examples have you seen?

I guess all of the places you mentioned could apply, but mainly types of bars and clubs.

My issue has always been, even if the owner is employing these people who has taken a bit of training, the owner should let them do their job and not override the decision of their security, I can see one or twice that may deal with very minor issues, but not many more that that number. It becomes a dangerous situation, and some patrons see that they can do anything. If you hire people who are trained to do a job, IMO you need to allow them to do their job, or get rid of them and do it yourself.

Security wasn't agressive, just doing their job as they were trained to do. Owner who knows nothing about security gets involved and wants to give everyone a 2nd, 3rd and,,, well you get the picture, chance. Also employees were encouraged not to call the PD is at all possible if there was trouble

If you have security, if you keep overriding their decisions, most of the time, it sets a bad example and could lead to things happening.

Lets also say that some customers have said that they don't feel as safe at the establishment with the interference.

Edited by SportsGuy41017

We have a lot of security where I work. We also have very strict rules, by state and federal authorities governing what they can and cannot do to protect employees. Our security people are awesome but have broken the rules trying to do their jobs. As a result, we have been sued more than once. Hence, we always have managers who are never in the line of fire, stepping in, second guessing and setting stupid limits. Drives me crazy. Though I see the managers' point of view, they are not the ones risking getting their butts kicked.

Security wasn't agressive, just doing their job as they were trained to do. Owner who knows nothing about security gets involved and wants to give everyone a 2nd, 3rd and,,, well you get the picture, chance. Also employees were encouraged not to call the PD is at all possible if there was trouble

You already had the answer!

I'll just say this. Two people couldn't work under those conditions anymore and walked away about 3 months ago, they attempted to talk to the owners, there are really two but one runs the whole thing, but they wouldn't listen. More and more issues happened at this place during the late summer and autumn, and they seemed to be getting worse.

These two people sat down with them and showed what they thought would happen, and why, if things didn't change, still nothing. A large fight in the spring involving about 15 people outside the front door? "Don't call the cops, we can handle this", just to name one thing. A few patrons who were getting kicked out who where getting in the owners face cussing at this man, who is not small at all, and nothing. Some, the trouble makers, saw that they could get away with many things, and lack of a good response seemed to make it worse.

Within the last two months 5 large fights broke out, 2 times the owner wasn't there and patrons called the police, one time the owner was there and an employee called the police. The other two times? "Don't call". The number one thing is, you need to provide a safe environment for all of your patrons.

Well, last night, of the "this could very well happen if things don't change" did happen. As a result, two people ended up in the hospital. Why did they end up in the E.R.? Because two people left the place, came back 15 minutes later and two other people were sitting a the table that they were sitting at before they left, and demanded that they get "their" seats back. the two sitting refused.

It was becoming an unsafe place. many of the patrons are in the 18-22 age range, I wouldn't want anyone I cared about near that place if I could prevent it, especially people that young.

Can an owner say, "don't call the police we can handle it?" Sounds like these owners do not want to be considered a nuisance and risk getting shut down.

What are trained security people allowed to do legally when there are problems in a public place? I know a bar that has a baseball bat behind the counter. As far as I know it has only been brought out once, but not actually used.