KHSAA 3 proposals that will be taken to the BOE

My parents did it for me. My mom didn't work, my dad worked at a job, where evenu at retirement age he wasn't making $25,000/year. I did work at the school after school, we never went on vacation, I'll never forget the lovely lime green Nova we drove, with the clutch that would get stuck, and we'd have to get out and raise the hood and pop it...The clothes from the thrift shops, never eating out...My parents did that so we could go to private schools.

I did it for my kids. I didn't have to go to the lengths my mom and dad did, but we gave up a lot, and my kids took on a whole lot of responsibility early to make it happen.'

I don't have blinders on. I know a lot more families just like mine that have/are/will be doing it.

And I admire you and your family for being able to do it. You are to be commended. I'm sure there are more like you and your family but the examples i talk about do happen..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a matter of perspective. Some look at this and see the KHSAA telling schools, "Don't go out and pay students to play for you." I look at prop 1 and see: "You can't play football at that school because you don't have as much money as the other kids."

I know that's not the board's intent, but that's what it does because even if this 25% business passes, I would hope that my alma mater, Trinity, would continue to offer up to 50% financial aid for any qualifying student. Catholic education is almost absurdly expensive. I HATE how expensive it is... everyone who wants it should at least have the opportunity to obtain an education in lucem Dei.

Even if BIGZIG's premise is legitimate and there are some schools that are going out and getting kids to play ball for them, then it would eliminate a lot of that. But for every star athlete who ends up in a district public school, you also eliminate some third string kid who wants nothing more than to play a game he loves at the school he loves. Depriving him of that is just plain cruel.

The proposal says not more than 25% merit aid, which is different than financial aid. If you read the definitions in the first part of the proposal, I think you will realize that there is no percent limit being placed on financial aid.

Oh. Sorry. Well, now my desperate plea for the defeat of this proposal is just a poorly timed overreaction. That's nice.

Well, I could not even begin to approach the numbers on that. I don't have any idea how much of this is floating around in Kentucky private schools.

Oh. Sorry. Well, now my desperate plea for the defeat of this proposal is just a poorly timed overreaction. That's nice.

Well, I could not even begin to approach the numbers on that. I don't have any idea how much of this is floating around in Kentucky private schools.

According to the President of your alma mater in public meetings and discussions, very very little. The 25% was actually proposed by the Louisville schools as they see it will have little impact on current schools, but does keep someone from using "merit aid" to build an athletic power.