KHSAA 3 proposals that will be taken to the BOE

Proposal 3. Do I read this correct that public schools will have established boundaries and would limit open enrollment schools?

Rationale – This proposal would define athletic territories for KHSAA member schools. Students within the athletic territory of the school would be permitted to attend the member school without athletic eligibility restrictions provided the student is otherwise eligible. Students outside the territory would face a loss of eligibility at all levels of play for the first year at the school and at the varsity level for the second year. This proposal would codify an affiliated school / feeder pattern determination as a means of restricting eligibility and attempting to make equivalent the “drawing areas” for non-public schools and the school district boundaries of public schools.

All depends as what they define as a territory?If they use the current

student bodies as indicaters then,I feel it will have no effect.Funny

how it says "drawing areas"when public schools have next to zero

boundaries in which they draw from.If they do limit enrollment

to only in district students(not also employees of) it would create a lot of problems for the public schools.Look at Highlands football team how

many actually live outside FT.Thomas,Beechwood is another.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends as what they define as a territory?If they use the current

student bodies as indicaters then,I feel it will have no effect.Funny

how it says "drawing areas"when public schools have next to zero

boundaries in which they draw from.If they do limit enrollment

to only in district students(not also employees of) it would create a lot of problems for the public schools.Look at Highlands football team how

many actually live outside FT.Thomas,Beechwood is another.

Not correct. Several if not most public schools do NOT have open enrollment and thus do not draw from outside of their county/community lines.

It is a select few that do as you implied with Highlands and Beechwood.

Not correct. Several if not most public schools do NOT have open enrollment and thus do not draw from outside of their county/community lines.

It is a select few that do as you implied with Highlands and Beechwood.

How does this affect open enrollment school districts, such as Jefferson County. And, how does this affect the districts like Jefferson County, where "playing up" is not as common as in some smaller communities?

How does this affect open enrollment school districts, such as Jefferson County. And, how does this affect the districts like Jefferson County, where "playing up" is not as common as in some smaller communities?

Not sure but I know LAST SEASON Iroquois had 2 or 3 8th graders that started for them in the state tournament, so at least some Jefferson County public schools are playing up.

In smaller communities, I don't think it makes as much difference because a lot of times there are no other choices private or public unless you move out of the county. It might affect the counties that have 1 or 2 or 3 high schools. It could affect Independents tremendously.

Not sure but I know LAST SEASON Iroquois had 2 or 3 8th graders that started for them in the state tournament, so at least some Jefferson County public schools are playing up.

In smaller communities, I don't think it makes as much difference because a lot of times there are no other choices private or public unless you move out of the county. It might affect the counties that have 1 or 2 or 3 high schools. It could affect Independents tremendously.

I realize there are a few schools that do, and that it really only affects basketball, seemingly girls basketball. But, relative to the majority of the Jefferson County schools, I don't see this having much of an adverse effect. You?

Of all the schools in NkY only the Boone schools do not have open enrollment.This also includes,Walton,Grant,Owen Gallatin, Harrison,Pendelton

Campbell and Mason Counties all of which allow out of district students.

According to members of the Boone County Board of Education,they are the

only district in the state that does not allow out of district students.This is

because of overcrowding problems that they face.

Could you name for me the ones that do not accept students from outside their boundaries?

Not only do they accept out of area students their state money follows them.

I realize there are a few schools that do, and that it really only affects basketball, seemingly girls basketball. But, relative to the majority of the Jefferson County schools, I don't see this having much of an adverse effect. You?

Jefferson County athletics and school systems are an island by itself compared to the rest of the state.:D

I don't see how it would based upon what you say. I know ALOT of rural schools use MSers in a bunch of sports. I had 6-10 on the girls golf team this year. Only 4 HSers wanted to play.

Also, Jamie Walz at Highlands is a very notable MS that had success at the HS level in her 7th and 8th grade year. I believe the 9th region girls MVP of the tourney played at Conner last year as an 8th grader and would not have been eligible at Boone County this year with this new rule. Also, several girls bball players in NKY, play at small public schools in MS and then end up somewhere else their freshmen year.

Jefferson County athletics and school systems are an island by itself compared to the rest of the state.:D

I don't see how it would based upon what you say. I know ALOT of rural schools use MSers in a bunch of sports. I had 6-10 on the girls golf team this year. Only 4 HSers wanted to play.

Also, Jamie Walz at Highlands is a very notable MS that had success at the HS level in her 7th and 8th grade year. I believe the 9th region girls MVP of the tourney played at Conner last year as an 8th grader and would not have been eligible at Boone County this year with this new rule. Also, several girls bball players in NKY, play at small public schools in MS and then end up somewhere else their freshmen year.

The reality is, that most of the Louisville public schools would feel little, if any, significant impact or change in the way things are done currently. Correct? I'm trying to determine what's going to happen in my community. That's where I'm concerned right now. I'll get to the rest of the state later! :D

The reality is, that most of the Louisville public schools would feel little, if any, significant impact or change in the way things are done currently. Correct? I'm trying to determine what's going to happen in my community. That's where I'm concerned right now. I'll get to the rest of the state later! :D

I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to make a comment on it. I know that does not stop many on here;) but anything I would say would strictly be a guest.

Wouldn't that end up putting the privates right back to where some claim prop 20 would put them. In a situation that there would not be enough schools to adequately field seasons and championships?

I only see the schools that choose not to compete leaving. Schools that are competing will stay put. Maybe it would be a good thing. NKY would stay. Most Jefferson County schools would stay. I could see the schools outside of those two areas leaving, with the exception of the Catholic schools. Maybe they should? Call it the Kentucky Small/Rural School Alliance. Now that I think of it that sounds pretty good. I say go for it!

I only see the schools that choose not to compete leaving. Schools that are competing will stay put. Maybe it would be a good thing. NKY would stay. Most Jefferson County schools would stay. I could see the schools outside of those two areas leaving, with the exception of the Catholic schools. Maybe they should? Call it the Kentucky Small/Rural School Alliance. Now that I think of it that sounds pretty good. I say go for it!

So would you be for dividing the KHSAA into 2 classes. One with private schools and the schools you mentioned above and the others that you mentioned in the other class?