Lafayette vs Dixie Heights predictions 01.21

Who wins?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Lafayette
    • Dixie Heights

2015 TOYOTA CLASSIC ROUND 1

The Lafayette Generals square off against the Red Colonels of Dixie Heights in the opening round of the Toyota Classic, at Scott County, at 9:00 PM Wednesday night.

The Generals are coming off two tough road losses and stand 10-8 on the year. They are currently ranked the 4th best team in the 11th region and have an impressive win over LexCath (56-45) on their resume.

The Red Colonels will put their 10-game winning streak on the line and stand 13-4 on the year. Winning the Ashland Invitational over Dunbar (62-47) in the championship game marks the Colonel's high point of the year.

Who wins and why?

Edited by ennam_iv

Curious if you've seen either team play this year?

Honestly I haven't. Basing my prediction on what I have read here on BGP and what a friend from Lexington told me that Lafayette is better than their record indicates.

Honestly I haven't. Basing my prediction on what I have read here on BGP and what a friend from Lexington told me that Lafayette is better than their record indicates.

Gotcha. I was hoping you'd be able to give me a description of Lafayette's team and style of play.

Gotcha. I was hoping you'd be able to give me a description of Lafayette's team and style of play.

I'v seen Lafayette play a couple times. They, like most of the top 8-10 teams in the 11th region, can play really well or really poorly. I saw Scott Co handle them easily, it ended up 12 points but wasn't that close. I also saw them beat Bryan Station by 1, who I think is the best team in the 11th. Here is what I'd say about them.

#25, Harrison Lane, is their shooter. He can take it to the basket some but much prefers to be a spot up shooter. I'd say he shoots 6-8 threes a game.

#44, Ross Jenkins, is a pretty good post player. He isn't really athletic but will rebound his space and has a few post moves.

#11, Lucky Jackson, is their best overall player. He is very well built, takes it to the rim with authority and is strong enough to finish in traffic. Probably their best defender.

#23, I don't know his name, also scores a decent amount for them. He's got an odd looking shot but it goes in, which is what matters in the end.

They like to get into the 2-2-1 press like Lexington Catholic if the game allows.

I'v seen Lafayette play a couple times. They, like most of the top 8-10 teams in the 11th region, can play really well or really poorly. I saw Scott Co handle them easily, it ended up 12 points but wasn't that close. I also saw them beat Bryan Station by 1, who I think is the best team in the 11th. Here is what I'd say about them.

#25, Harrison Lane, is their shooter. He can take it to the basket some but much prefers to be a spot up shooter. I'd say he shoots 6-8 threes a game.

#44, Ross Jenkins, is a pretty good post player. He isn't really athletic but will rebound his space and has a few post moves.

#11, Lucky Jackson, is their best overall player. He is very well built, takes it to the rim with authority and is strong enough to finish in traffic. Probably their best defender.

#23, I don't know his name, also scores a decent amount for them. He's got an odd looking shot but it goes in, which is what matters in the end.

They like to get into the 2-2-1 press like Lexington Catholic if the game allows.

Thanks.

What kind of size do they have?

Thanks.

What kind of size do they have?

Not a ton. I think Jenkins is 6-5 or 6-6. Jackson is 6-2 or 6-3. Those two get the majority of their rebounds and inside points. They have a few other guys that play that are probably around 6-1 to 6-3 but none that stand out in my memory. I could be forgetting someone though.

Jackson is 6'2-6'3 or so, but plays much bigger. Long frame, really quick, and jumps well. Going to WKU as a WR next season and an All-City WR in Lexington for the past few years. Not the best in the half court outside of rebounding and hustle, but can be devastating sweeping passing lanes in their if you try to gamble against their pressure and try and take too much with one pass.

Jenkins is most of their size and bulk. Still improving, but he can definitely have an impact on the game when he's on. Haven't seen him play in person in awhile, so it'd be unfair for me to say exactly how much he's improved, though I do think he's progressing and having more of an impact.

Lane is the son of former Transy Coach Brian Lane. Zone-buster, not afraid to take big shots (sending the game to OT against Lex Cath @ Lex Cath last season), but is a tad undersized and isn't their best at going one-on-one and creating his shot. Still, a really smart player who knows where to cut and how to find seams in a zone, so if you go zone against them, you have to account for him no matter where he is or he's going to make you pay.

Jaelin Jenkins and Jujuante Carpenter are smaller guards that are quick. Both were a bit younger when I saw them last year, but you could definitely see potential. If any of their guards are going to create off the dribble, those are your best bets. I was really impressed with Carpenter last season... he's not had the best year so far, but he's turned it on in recent games. Both are what I'd consider pretty tough "Lexington-Fayette Public" type guards. Won't back down from a challenge, can handle well enough to get where they want to go against most defenders, strong with the ball and can handle pressure, can create from midrange and in if you put a man on them that they can beat and don't give help... if you do give help, you'd better disguise it better than just running a man straight at them because they'll find open teammates. Either are capable of big games, but are also somewhat inconsistent.

Usually pretty deep and play quite a few kids, especially if they are able to score and get into their pressure, but that's the ones who stick out from last season that I'm most familiar with at the moment, though I'm probably leaving out a kid or two who will play quite a bit.

Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like it will be a good matchup.

Sounds like Dixie will have a size advantage. And it sounds to me like Dixie matches up well with Lafayette. The Colonels should have everyone tonight.

It will be fun to watch Drew Moore match up with Lucky Jackson. Sounds like they have similar styles of play.

Most pressing teams have called their press off against Dixie because they handle it we'll (having 4 PGs) and score against it.

Dixie's staple ingredient every game is their half court M2M. Dixie is also a very good rebounding team.

Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like it will be a good matchup.

Sounds like Dixie will have a size advantage. And it sounds to me like Dixie matches up well with Lafayette. The Colonels should have everyone tonight.

It will be fun to watch Drew Moore match up with Lucky Jackson. Sounds like they have similar styles of play.

Most pressing teams have called their press off against Dixie because they handle it we'll (having 4 PGs) and score against it.

Dixie's staple ingredient every game is their half court M2M. Dixie is also a very good rebounding team.

All of the positives you just mentioned about Dixie is in spite of their coach though, correct?

All of the positives you just mentioned about Dixie is in spite of their coach though, correct?

Don't ever get me going over a beer... and if you do, be patient with me.

I'll give the assistant coaches kudos for the defense! :)