9th Region officials?

I know it's an over beat topic but after attending multiple boys games and multiple girls games this year in the 9th region and tournaments in Lexington, I have to say the 9th region officials have to be at the bottom of the barrel as far as good and consistant.

Attending the girls All A tournament and now tonight's Ludlow Vs Holy Cross game seen way to many obvious slaps to the face and elbows to the head go uncalled but yet the flops are cinsistant and the ghost make up calls. I'm not personally an official and don't claim to be but I played the game for 15 years and no a foul from a whoops missed the last one that was close enough.

Has anyone else noticed this during other 9th region games?

I think the best you can ask for is the same level of officiating for both sides. I believe it becomes a problem when you go out of region and the officiating is familiar with one team, and not the other. See lots of fouls not called, and others called in anticipation.

I agree completely 100%! But tonight watching the Ludlow Holy Cross game Tyler Biezald sp? Went up for a layup and was smacked in the face actually I should say punched practically on a fast break and it went un called the proceeding possession Ludlow sets a double pick at the top of the key side by side letting there player slip through and pinching for the defensive player and because the player jumped into the screen and fell a whistle was called then late in the game a clear flop that the camera guy I was talking to got a picture of the Holy Cross player falling to the ground before the Ludlow player even made contact was called as a charge? It's just really bad and not fun for the kids or even the fans to have to wonder what the official is gonna call and not call compared to what's expected to be called according to the rules of the game?

I agree completely 100%! But tonight watching the Ludlow Holy Cross game Tyler Biezald sp? Went up for a layup and was smacked in the face actually I should say punched practically on a fast break and it went un called the proceeding possession Ludlow sets a double pick at the top of the key side by side letting there player slip through and pinching for the defensive player and because the player jumped into the screen and fell a whistle was called then late in the game a clear flop that the camera guy I was talking to got a picture of the Holy Cross player falling to the ground before the Ludlow player even made contact was called as a charge? It's just really bad and not fun for the kids or even the fans to have to wonder what the official is gonna call and not call compared to what's expected to be called according to the rules of the game?

Teams spend so much time scouting opponents. They need to scout officiating crews!

Perhaps the refs could scout the fans before accepting an assignment. I'll take our guys anytime and the new 9th Region refs are top notch.

I agree. I really have very little issue with any of them. Are some better than other...sure! But compared to other regions, I think ours are just fine. Consistency for both teams on how the game is being called is really all I look for.

I was an official for quite a few decades and I will tell you that it is a very,very tough job. These kids are so fast and athletic and things happen so darn fast that you have a split second to blow that whistle or its to late. What else happens is that you have 3 refs out there and maybe one is just flat out having a bad game,well guess what,it's going to reflect on the whole crew in the fans eyes! With the 3 man crews you will maybe get an official who is not as experienced as the other two and this will lead to problems a lot of times as well. Hope this helps shine some light on officiating!

I was an official for quite a few decades and I will tell you that it is a very,very tough job. These kids are so fast and athletic and things happen so darn fast that you have a split second to blow that whistle or its to late. What else happens is that you have 3 refs out there and maybe one is just flat out having a bad game,well guess what,it's going to reflect on the whole crew in the fans eyes! With the 3 man crews you will maybe get an official who is not as experienced as the other two and this will lead to problems a lot of times as well. Hope this helps shine some light on officiating!

What irks me is when an official is out of position to make a call and does not even consult an official that is in position to make a call, but does not.

What irks me is when an official is out of position to make a call and does not even consult an official that is in position to make a call' date=' but does not.[/quote']

You do not "consult." You make the call if you see it in your area.

I am not defending the 9th region refs, but went to a game in Eastern Kentucky earlier this year and it was a complete joke with how they called, or didn't call a game. I have seen many games in the 9th region this year, and for the most part, they have done a pretty good job. Are they going to catch everything, no, but BELIEVE me when I say they are much better than most of the state. No I am not a ref, and have voiced my difference of opinion on calls, but overall they do a good job.

It's probably a good thing that the ref's don't have their names on their backs.

But in this case, it'd be nice to be able to pay a couple of them a compliment.

I know of 2 guys that I thought did a great job on the floor. I'm guessing they are rather experienced. I'm not sure if there is a training/mentoring type of thing going on, but these two guys fit the bill. Overheard them multiple times discussing/coaching another ref working the game with them.

*may not be a totally accurate description, but that's how I'll say it.

It wasn't the obvious thing that would be seen by a coach or irate fan - even when it was clear that that is what everyone hoped to see.

These two also do some player "coaching" on the floor. (Again, my words for lack of anything better).

Not just giving them a warning about something and not really a "discussion" with the player. Sort of hard to explain...

You can tell those two are there for the love of the game...

Disclaimer: That is not to say that the other refs don't love the game.