John Paul Chapman new Knott County Central Head Coach

LionEagle

The gap is really wide, I don't know what it would take for Knott to become competitive but they have a long hard road to get there. It is going to be a struggle and not many coaches are going to have what it takes to ride it out, if it ever happens.

They lost their district games last season by a combined 165-12. The new district is tougher as they add Powell and Estill and lose the only district opponent that Knott could reasonably expect to compete with, Jackson Co.

It is just not an attractive job, and can't imagine why a successful coach like Chapman would want to take that on.

He is a better coach than every coach in those districts listed, and that isn't meant as disrespect to any of those coaches.

It will turn around a lot faster than most think....IF he stays....

I see an Estill County team in that list that did quite well this past season losing out to a very good Russell team this past season. I believe the coach's name was Jones. I wouldn't throw the keys to the district hardware cabinet to this Chapman just yet. Gotta earn those. Bell and Corbin are going to be pretty tough kitties and puppies to handle in that region as well.

Weird career path for Chapman.

Head Coach at Pike Central where he sustained some success then take what appears to be a step back to become the DC at Perry Central.

After one year take what appears to be another step back to take the HC job at traditionally one of the worst coaching gigs in the state.

My feelings towards Chapman have been apparent on her in the past, but even I can't quite see what he is thinking here. Supposedly one of the core reasons he left Pike Central in the first place was the fact he never could gain supreme favor with an AD who pushed basketball... now you go to a school who eats, sleeps, and drinks basketball. Your facilities are worse. Your feeder system is practically non-existent. On top of all that, unlike Pike Central where you at least have a nice talent base in Pike County where football has reigned supreme for years, you go to Knott Central where you will have to cultivate a talent pool essentially from scratch.

Now the real interesting thing to me is where does Chapman get transfers from? His bets Pike Central teams relied heavily on transfers. The closest county to his West is Perry County where he just coached.. to his north is Breathitt County where his roots run deep and he is still revered.... to the South is Letcher County where his mentor and old friend Holcomb coaches... to the East is Floyd County and Pburg where Coach Derrossett coaches, a coach he actually goes way back and has always been willing to play him. Will he burn a bridge if it means kick starting his program and creating momentum?

• 7 months later...
Weird career path for Chapman.

Head Coach at Pike Central where he sustained some success then take what appears to be a step back to become the DC at Perry Central.

After one year take what appears to be another step back to take the HC job at traditionally one of the worst coaching gigs in the state.

My feelings towards Chapman have been apparent on her in the past, but even I can't quite see what he is thinking here. Supposedly one of the core reasons he left Pike Central in the first place was the fact he never could gain supreme favor with an AD who pushed basketball... now you go to a school who eats, sleeps, and drinks basketball. Your facilities are worse. Your feeder system is practically non-existent. On top of all that, unlike Pike Central where you at least have a nice talent base in Pike County where football has reigned supreme for years, you go to Knott Central where you will have to cultivate a talent pool essentially from scratch.

Now the real interesting thing to me is where does Chapman get transfers from? His bets Pike Central teams relied heavily on transfers. The closest county to his West is Perry County where he just coached.. to his north is Breathitt County where his roots run deep and he is still revered.... to the South is Letcher County where his mentor and old friend Holcomb coaches... to the East is Floyd County and Pburg where Coach Derrossett coaches, a coach he actually goes way back and has always been willing to play him. Will he burn a bridge if it means kick starting his program and creating momentum?

Just to rebuke a few things....Facilities? Knott has one the best grass surfaces around to play on, field house with weight room..... Feeder system? Grades K-2 are now in their 4th year (with over 100 playing) of flag football...3/4th grades are playing tackle football.....5/6th grade were 11-1 last season...7/8th were 14-1 losing only to East Perry. The players are responding to Coach Chapman and his staff, which includes Steve Hollon, Irton Sparkman, Justin Bates, Randall Mullins, and Kevin Jacobs. People are going to be VERY surprised at the team Coach Chapman puts on the field.

Just to rebuke a few things....Facilities? Knott has one the best grass surfaces around to play on, field house with weight room..... Feeder system? Grades K-2 are now in their 4th year (with over 100 playing) of flag football...3/4th grades are playing tackle football.....5/6th grade were 11-1 last season...7/8th were 14-1 losing only to East Perry. The players are responding to Coach Chapman and his staff, which includes Steve Hollon, Irton Sparkman, Justin Bates, Randall Mullins, and Kevin Jacobs. People are going to be VERY surprised at the team Coach Chapman puts on the field.
That is great information on the youth leagues, Patman.

I hope you are right and KCC is way ahead of the curve. I have always wanted to see the Patriots be successful in football. When they were in Belfry's district, there were a few competitive games when Jay Cobb was there. The rest of the time it was lopsided but I always enjoyed playing the Patriots.

How do you see the KCC season going with their 2015 schedule?

Good to see. Here's hoping Chapman stays, because for all his perceived faults, he can coach. And what Knott Central needs more than anything is stability.

Good to see. Here's hoping Chapman stays, because for all his perceived faults, he can coach. And what Knott Central needs more than anything is stability.

Definitely

The man will win some football games and change that culture.