15 Region Preseason Top 5

1. Allen Central (return a load of talent and a very good pitching staff)

2. Pikeville (great pitching, but will have to replace many starters)

3. Sheldon Clark (some very talented players: May, Harless, etc.)

4. Johnson Central (great coaching/good young talent)

5. Lawrence County (great coaching/decent pitching/talented catcher)

Paintsville (new coach and new faces on the field)

Betsy Layne (had a decent regular season last year and return good talent)

Prestonsburg (lost some good players but return some quality players)

Pike Central (return some good players, and gain good assistance)

East Ridge (great coach/young talent)

Shelby Valley (new coach; we'll have to wait and see)

Belfry (they'll be a sleeper... we'll have to wait and see though)

1. Pikeville(Return 3 good pitchers, need a 4th pitcher)

2. Johnson Central( Return 2 good pitchers, young team)

3. Allen Central( 1 good Pitcher, 1 pretty good pitcher, senior dominated)

4. Paintsville( need pitching period, will be good offensively and defensively)

5. Lawrence Co.( decent pitching, fair offensively, good defensively)

6. Sheldon Clark( decent pitching, fair offensively, decent d, suspect coach)

7. Pike Central( need pitching period, fair offensively & defensively, Andrew Joyce will make a huge difference in this team.)

8. Belfry( 1 good pitcher, young but talented.)

9. Shelby Valley( decent pitching and little else)

10. Prestonsburg( decent pitching and little else)

Paintsville may have a new coach but he has had nothing but success in his carrer as a player and a coach. As for pitching, VanHoose, Grimm, and Watkins will do a fine job. As for hitting, a lineup with Pugh,VanHoose,Sublett, and Brown, and Willaims will provide enough offense to win several games. A pre season poll without JC, Pikeville, Paintsville in the top 5 is a little suspect to me because these 3 have pretty much dominated the 15th.

Paintsville may have a new coach but he has had nothing but success in his carrer as a player and a coach. As for pitching, VanHoose, Grimm, and Watkins will do a fine job. As for hitting, a lineup with Pugh,VanHoose,Sublett, and Brown, and Willaims will provide enough offense to win several games. A pre season poll without JC, Pikeville, Paintsville in the top 5 is a little suspect to me because these 3 have pretty much dominated the 15th.

I agree but its a new year and teams lose alot. So the past dont matter much.

I agree but its a new year and teams lose alot. So the past dont matter much.

I disagree, winners breed winners. Pikeville, Paintsville, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co., and Sheldon Clark all lost alot, but the kids on the bench saw what it takes to be winners and that's what builds a winning tradition. That is what worries me about Kentucky Basketball is that losing breeds losers. The teams I mentioned have seen from the bench when their team was down and the previous players battled and won games after the chips were down. You can teach kids to win or to lose and you better try and teach winners. Those programs have been winners and it will carry over to this year. Just wait and see.

Pikeville will struggle early but by tourney time they will be right in the thick of it. As will the other teams I mentioned.

I disagree, winners breed winners. Pikeville, Paintsville, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co., and Sheldon Clark all lost alot, but the kids on the bench saw what it takes to be winners and that's what builds a winning tradition. That is what worries me about Kentucky Basketball is that losing breeds losers. The teams I mentioned have seen from the bench when their team was down and the previous players battled and won games after the chips were down. You can teach kids to win or to lose and you better try and teach winners. Those programs have been winners and it will carry over to this year. Just wait and see.

Pikeville will struggle early but by tourney time they will be right in the thick of it. As will the other teams I mentioned.

It all goes back to the feeder programs. Johnson Co/Paintsville, Pikeville and LC have solid leagues to keep a solid high school program. Martin Co. and others have improved but haven't reached that level yet.

It all goes back to the feeder programs. Johnson Co/Paintsville, Pikeville and LC have solid leagues to keep a solid high school program. Martin Co. and others have improved but haven't reached that level yet.

I agree. Regardless of any situation, Pikeville, Johnson Central and Paintsville will always be head and shoulders over the competition in the 15th, and now you may be able to throw Lawrence County in the mix since they have joined. Sure, it isn't uncommon for a few of the other 15th teams to load up on talent and score a couple wins on some of these teams during the season, but when it comes down to earning a spot in sectional play no one else has what it takes. These three perhaps four teams are the epitimy of 15th Region baseball, period. I know many may disagree, but this is coming from someone outside of these four schools and have played on good teams that have went up against them. Fact is just fact.

SC has a suspect coach? Some people may not like his antics but Mike Hall is a very good coach.

He seems to get too involved with the fans and lose focus, I have seen him argue with the fans. He also tries mind games with the opposing team. Pikeville and Jason Howell didnt bite on it last year in the region. No doubt he knows the game, he played at Louisville. I wish he would change his tactics.

• 2 weeks later...
He seems to get too involved with the fans and lose focus, I have seen him argue with the fans. He also tries mind games with the opposing team. Pikeville and Jason Howell didnt bite on it last year in the region. No doubt he knows the game, he played at Louisville. I wish he would change his tactics.

:lol:

1. Allen Central (return a load of talent and a very good pitching staff)

2. Pikeville (great pitching, but will have to replace many starters)

3. Sheldon Clark (some very talented players: May, Harless, etc.)

4. Johnson Central (great coaching/good young talent)

5. Lawrence County (great coaching/decent pitching/talented catcher)

Paintsville (new coach and new faces on the field)

Betsy Layne (had a decent regular season last year and return good talent)

Prestonsburg (lost some good players but return some quality players)

Pike Central (return some good players, and gain good assistance)

East Ridge (great coach/young talent)

Shelby Valley (new coach; we'll have to wait and see)

Belfry (they'll be a sleeper... we'll have to wait and see though)

P-burg lost 2 players to graduation from last year's team. ;) And while we don't have the feeder programs enjoyed by Pikeville and Paintsville, these kids should be much improved this year and I believe they'll be a bit more competitive than last year. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

Put Pikeville in the 57th and take out Magoffin and you would have the top 5 teams in the 15th in the same district. Anyone that doesn't include Paintsville and Johnson Central in their top 5 surely doesn't follow baseball in Eastern Kentucky.

spoken like a true fan.... ;)