Late summer player movement

Based on a couple of new threads I have read today, there seems to be some significant relocation of players as summer comes to a close. Sorry, but it causes me to harken back to THE "most pressing issues" of the summer of 2014. No, not war, not immigration, not unemployment, not the U,S, senatorial race, but big-time issues such as ... the LeBron decision #2, or where are Kevin Love and Carmello going, etc. But wait ... this is Kentucky high school girls' basketball!!! Hello, KHSAA, what the heck is going on???

What is wrong with late summer player movement? Ideally I'd hope a transferring student would start at their new school on the first day with everyone else.

Well, what's good about it? It's good for the harvesting team; it's not good for the team losing players; it's totally unfair for disadvantaged competitors, which adds up to 2/3 negatives in my book. Are the transfers legal, proper, ethical, within the rules - or are they circumventing the rules? I certainly don't know and I guess that you don't either. Sorry, but those schools who repeatedly harvest talent as opposed to develop it and win because of it - well, sorry PP92, I think it's crap. Now, sometimes, maybe often, it is legit, and that's fine. But a few schools just keep on harvesting talent from other schools, and again, that's just crap. Now I'm pretty sure you disagree with my perspective, but hey, it's America, and it's cool to agree to disagree.

AAU teams harvest talent, colleges harvest talent, and pros harvest talent - that's what they have to do to survive, and that is the nature of their realm. However, this is high school athletics, and it should be different. If/when kids "go free agent," that when the overriding authority, the KHSAA, needs to prevent/disallow such things.

So, what is the purpose of high school? Nostalgia? Cool reunions where you can make fun of one another every decade after you graduate? No says I. I say it's to prepare you for the next chapter of your life. I can see no reason that a decision that includes sports as a factor shouldn't be fully considered by a player and his/her family. I'd argue that if it does make a difference for them, whether that meant college prospects or not, it surely has the opportunity to develop character and all of the other things sports provide for the development of the youth of our country. So, perhaps I'm nearly as jaded as retropop is when it comes to this issue, but on the other side of the aisle. Sounds more like sour grapes if you ask me.

If this was a math forum, and the transfer was because of some kids that another met at math camp and there was a school that offered a better opportunity in math that this subject would get laughed off the internet. Just sayin'.

Well, what's good about it? It's good for the harvesting team; it's not good for the team losing players; it's totally unfair for disadvantaged competitors, which adds up to 2/3 negatives in my book. Are the transfers legal, proper, ethical, within the rules - or are they circumventing the rules? I certainly don't know and I guess that you don't either. Sorry, but those schools who repeatedly harvest talent as opposed to develop it and win because of it - well, sorry PP92, I think it's crap. Now, sometimes, maybe often, it is legit, and that's fine. But a few schools just keep on harvesting talent from other schools, and again, that's just crap. Now I'm pretty sure you disagree with my perspective, but hey, it's America, and it's cool to agree to disagree.

AAU teams harvest talent, colleges harvest talent, and pros harvest talent - that's what they have to do to survive, and that is the nature of their realm. However, this is high school athletics, and it should be different. If/when kids "go free agent," that when the overriding authority, the KHSAA, needs to prevent/disallow such things.

I've never been one who has opposed transfers. I'll welcome them in and if someone wants to leave I'll wish them well elsewhere. Who wants someone who doesn't want to be there?

This has to be about Brewer.

What a joke that you are making a big deal out of this and acting as thought she and her family SHOULDN'T do this.

Dad teaches/coaches the boys team. Dad played and graduated from there. Family there. So, she wants to transfer and go play for the same school where here dad starred, and now teaches/coaches.

Are you really bothered by this? Anybody that is better check themselves.

Another case of the public expecting coaches/players to NOT do what WE ALL do.......lookout for #1..you and yours. Period.

This has to be about Brewer.

What a joke that you are making a big deal out of this and acting as thought she and her family SHOULDN'T do this.

Dad teaches/coaches the boys team. Dad played and graduated from there. Family there. So, she wants to transfer and go play for the same school where here dad starred, and now teaches/coaches.

Are you really bothered by this? Anybody that is better check themselves.

Another case of the public expecting coaches/players to NOT do what WE ALL do.......lookout for #1..you and yours. Period.

I have a question for all of the people that say transferring is "A ok". Why do we have rules in place that make it illegal to transfer for athletic reasons? Even Indiana blocked the transfer of Eric Gordon's brother and Indiana is way more liberal on transfers than KY.

If you have a rule for whatever the reason is to have it, then enforce it or do away with it completely.

Just my two cents.

I have a question for all of the people that say transferring is "A ok". Why do we have rules in place that make it illegal to transfer for athletic reasons? Even Indiana blocked the transfer of Eric Gordon's brother and Indiana is way more liberal on transfers than KY.

If you have a rule for whatever the reason is to have it, then enforce it or do away with it completely.

Just my two cents.

I think they are a joke. If a player/family does what needs to be done to transfer (move, etc), then I don't care the reason is. Student-Athletes/Family's shouldn't have to explain to ANYBODY what their reasoning is for bettering themselves.....that's what ticks me off. We expect things from them (and, even coaches, too) that we don't expect from ourselves.

1) Brewer's dad is in Bardstown, where he starred in High School and has coached the boys to two region titles. Both of her older brothers followed him to Bardstown (and won a region title) and no one said anything. But Alexis does and there's something wrong with that?

2) Not for athletic purposes. She was played quite a bit when she played volleyball and was an absolute star (still is) in girls' basketball. Bardstown is worse in both volleyball (should she decide to return) and basketball. Not for more playing time. Not for playing with better competition and certainly not about advancing far in postseason (since LaRue is coming off back-to-back region championship game appearances).

I don't see this taking the KHSAA long to rule on.

She'll be eligible.

I agree that it looks that she is taking a "step down" in level...not sure that makes it OK in my mind? Did she change address? Was it hardship? Issues with coach at Larue? The rules are the rules???......either do away with them or enforce them........either way would be fine with me!!!

I agree that it looks that she is taking a "step down" in level...not sure that makes it OK in my mind? Did she change address? Was it hardship? Issues with coach at Larue? The rules are the rules???......either do away with them or enforce them........either way would be fine with me!!!

Change of address. Pretty sure she is living with her dad now. That would be a decent commute every day to go back and forth from Hodgenville (or Buffalo or Magnolia, where-ever she lived in LaRue County).

She played for the same coach for six years (started varsity as a sixth grader, IIRC). Not sure she owes anybody more than that.

Kids are not indentured servants to the school closest to their parents' house, contrary to popular belief.

Her older brothers went to Bardstown (after BOTH having played varsity for LaRue) when their dad went to Bardstown. She chose to stay.

No one gave a fit about the two boys (although neither was second-team all-state at the time; and Bardstown has a better boys' program than LC).

She decides to finally go with her dad too (to a school where she has family) and somehow she is doing something unethical.

For all the crap other transfers have gotten, not sure why this one should get the red-flag treatment.

If anything is done that is against the rules then the kids are ruled ineligible. There isn't a rule against transferring. You either do it right or you are ineligible.