High School Death Penalty...

Seeing the penalties given to Cordia and the discussion in the Fairview Investigation thread, I have to ask...Should the Death Penalty ever be given to a HS Program?

What about the kids that are just coming into the program, is it fair to them?

What about returning players, who transferring is not a viable option for them, is it fair to them?

Ultimately adults made the decisions and broke the rules, why should 13 to 18 year old kids be penalized?

Seeing the penalties given to Cordia and the discussion in the Fairview Investigation thread, I have to ask...Should the Death Penalty ever be given to a HS Program?

What about the kids that are just coming into the program, is it fair to them?

What about returning players, who transferring is not a viable option for them, is it fair to them?

Ultimately adults made the decisions and broke the rules, why should 13 to 18 year old kids be penalized?

Great question. It really isn't fair to those who wouldn't have the means to transfer or to those who wouldn't want to transfer. At the same time what would be a proper penalty to place in those situations? When violations are that blatant an iron fist has to rule.

Great question. It really isn't fair to those who wouldn't have the means to transfer or to those who wouldn't want to transfer. At the same time what would be a proper penalty to place in those situations? When violations are that blatant an iron fist has to rule.

I would think banning the coaches and administrators involved in violations would be a start. Then maybe assign some one from the KHSAA to personally monitor the program and verify eligibility of students, would be a start.

Maybe if sanctions could be tied to teaching credentials/certification some how also.

I just think all penalties need to begin and end with the adults.

Are the student/athletes never guilty of wrong doing?

How could they be without complicit help from an adult involved with the program.

Sure "A" kid could lie about where he lives or something else, but that wouldn't get the program a Death Penalty either.

How could they be without complicit help from an adult involved with the program.

Sure "A" kid could lie about where he lives or something else, but that wouldn't get the program a Death Penalty either.

I'm just saying that if a player lies, gives a false address, or excepts something that he shouldn't he knows right from wrong and needs to learn a hard less.

Now, are the adults the most guilty? Of course, but there is some blame for the player as well.

I'm just saying that if a player lies, gives a false address, or excepts something that he shouldn't he knows right from wrong and needs to learn a hard less.

Now, are the adults the most guilty? Of course, but there is some blame for the player as well.

Yep, that kid gets ruled ineligible but not the rest of his/her team.

Yep, that kid gets ruled ineligible but not the rest of his/her team.

What if, by the examples you gave, 10, 15 or more players on the same team do those things? Now, if 15 kids transfer to a school and live out of district but everyone knows those players live in, say, a different state aren't the rest of the players guilty as well?

What if a football team has not had much success, they get 15 players illegally transfer in, the entire team, parents, fans, administrators all know what is going on, maybe even are involved in the deception?

Hard lesson to learn, but I venture to say it is a lesson that is retained.

Just like any crime, there are unnamed victims. It seems that most want pity for the players at the offending school that were not involved, but what about the players at the schools that were cheated out of a win, a district championship, a regional championship or a state championship? Those players are victims of those adults and athletes as well. Do those victims deserve some justice?

Just like any crime' date=' there are unnamed victims. It seems that most want pity for the players at the offending school that were not involved, but what about the players at the schools that were cheated out of a win, a district championship, a regional championship or a state championship? Those players are victims of those adults and athletes as well. Do those victims deserve some justice?[/quote']

Besides giving them a win on paper what could you do for those teams after the fact.

For those involved, termination of job position for the coaches or administration, and for the kids involvement I would put them in eligible for one season. If it were to be ruled during the season, say the first week of October, they are ruled I eligible until the following October. If the behavior and actions continue, then you could maybe talk about a post season probation. But I think for the one who are not involved, it is a bit unfair. For the adults and staff members doing it, it is ridiculous for high schoolers to be doing that crap.