NKU & Football?

Pura Vida

Why doesn’t NKU have a football team? Do you think it will someday? We are not native Northern Kentuckians so I’m not up on the history.

I’m curious since my soon to be high school senior is seriously considering NKU for College. We’ve spent time this summer visiting and learning about NKU and she really likes it. I think it’s a cool school – good programs, would be a good “fit” etc., but would be even cooler with football!!

Sorry if this post belongs in the College Football section.

IMO NKU just doesn't have the size or finances to support football at this time. They are still struggling to find their way in other D1 sports at this time and until that happens, I don't think football is in the plans. Maybe years down the road they may add it but I don't see that happening for a long time.

Why doesn’t NKU have a football team? Do you think it will someday? We are not native Northern Kentuckians so I’m not up on the history.

I’m curious since my soon to be high school senior is seriously considering NKU for College. We’ve spent time this summer visiting and learning about NKU and she really likes it. I think it’s a cool school – good programs, would be a good “fit” etc., but would be even cooler with football!!

Long story short: Money.

Not sure how long, if ever, before NKU gets football.

Guess you are not aware of the failed attempt to get a football team started a few years back. It was quite interesting........well the people involved lead interesting lives to say the least.

Thomas More can afford football, but NKU can't?

Thomas More (and other similar small colleges) simply have football as a way of attracting students who want to play football and otherwise might have been paying huge sums of tuition money to another college. The increase in tuition money collected offsets any expenses at that level.

Really?? Comparing a D1 to D3? Any idea of the myriad of differences in funding those types of programs?

Yeah REALLY! The football team doesn't have to start in D1. See Dayton among others.

Thomas More (and other similar small colleges) simply have football as a way of attracting students who want to play football and otherwise might have been paying huge sums of tuition money to another college. The increase in tuition money collected offsets any expenses at that level.

Shhhhhh... Don't tell Ram or Hellbird this ;)

I really don't see NKU having a football team any time soon. I bet I'll be 50 and they still won't have one (I'm not 30 yet).

And I loved my college experience there without one.

That is so good to hear. NKU seems like a great school with a lot going on, and a good value as well. Some students/parents we've met also say NKU is somewhat more generous with the schollys as compared to some of the other in-state schools. Hope nothing changes in next 12 months (well unless they add football LOL)!

That is so good to hear. NKU seems like a great school with a lot going on, and a good value as well. Some students/parents we've met also say NKU is somewhat more generous with the schollys as compared to some of the other in-state schools. Hope nothing changes in next 12 months (well unless they add football LOL)!

I would recommend to your daughter to get involved while at NKU. At a lot of larger state schools, I'd imagine you'll enjoy it no matter what because of things like football. But if your daughter gets involved in some capacity, the chances she enjoys it are much higher.

When football was being discussed, the coaches at NKU got to vote and voted down adding football. They claimed they did not want to have to do any more fund raising.

I'd heard the same thing a few years back. Would love to see NKU with a program, maybe a FBS team with no scholarships to start and then add them later. They seem like a good program for the OVC.