Are the Reds buyers or sellers?

Based on the numerous threads, seems like most believe they are buyers....for the right price. It's my belief that the front office must be torn on what to do- 1. Go big and risk the future by trading your top prospects for a bat 2). Status quo. Let it ride out and cross your fingers for another big half from Simon, Latos, Cueto, Meso, Hamilton and Frazier or 3.) Trade what you can for prospects and then figure out what to do with BP and Votto in the off season.

If I had to guess, I say they choose option #2. Blame missing the playoffs on injuries and head into a contentious off season.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that they have enough of a surplus to trade for an impact bat so I'd say that B is the best option. They could probably pick up a Willingham or Morales for some low level prospects. Hope you catch lightning in a bottle for a couple of months and get into the playoffs with a healthy Phillips and Votto.

Based on the numerous threads, seems like most believe they are buyers....for the right price. It's my belief that the front office must be torn on what to do- 1. Go big and risk the future by trading your top prospects for a bat 2). Status quo. Let it ride out and cross your fingers for another big half from Simon, Latos, Cueto, Meso, Hamilton and Frazier or 3.) Trade what you can for prospects and then figure out what to do with BP and Votto in the off season.

If I had to guess, I say they choose option #2. Blame missing the playoffs on injuries and head into a contentious off season.

If they do #2 and if the rest of the leading teams in the division make moves before the trade deadline, they risk alienating the fan base going into a season where the city is hosting the All-Star game.

Reds are in it. I would trade Homer Bailey for Adrian Beltre. It would cost us 4 million this year and 8 million next year. We could move Frazier to LF for the next 2 years and then when Beltre leaves at end of contract move him back to 3B and put Winkler in LF. We can basically add a 4 hitter in our line-up for 8 million dollars. Why wouldn't we do this? Texas would like it, they are getting good young pitcher that is locked up for 5 years that is from Texas. Saving 12 million dollars over the next 2 years and can move one of their top prospects to 3b.

You think the Rangers would take Bailey for Beltre straight up? I'd guess that they would want more that our #3 starter for an all star infielder.

Nobody is going to want Baileys contract, and I dot think the Reds will get rid of him.

We might have to give them a minor league relief pitcher as well. I don't think one of our top prospects. Look at Bailey's numbers, they are not great, but he is not overpaid based on his career numbers. That is what young power arm pitchers get these days. He is locked in at a set amount for 5 more years. They need pitching. It makes sense.

I've flipped on Baileys contract and believe it to be a good contract for a big market team..not so much for the small market Reds. A team like the Yankees could absorb that deal and they are desperate for pitching. Unfortunately, not much in their minor league system.

With the trade 'deadline' approaching, you have to take 2 out of 3 in Milwaukee to remain in contention. The reality is these guys are not good enough to win it as currently constructed. I don't think you give up the little pitching depth you have for a 'rent-a-player' (see Morneau) just for a few months.

The Reds are in it. Now whether or not they make a move remains to be seen, but I don't know how they can sell the fans and city that they're trying to win if they don't. They have a plethora of pitching depth that makes moving an arm or two (see Cingrani) a much more manageable proposition.

The Reds are in it. Now whether or not they make a move remains to be seen, but I don't know how they can sell the fans and city that they're trying to win if they don't. They have a plethora of pitching depth that makes moving an arm or two (see Cingrani) a much more manageable proposition.

I don't disagree, but Walt should be ran out of town on a rail if he gives up pitching for a rental. Just a stupid move for a team that can't make mistakes with personnel like that IMO.

I don't disagree, but Walt should be ran out of town on a rail if he gives up pitching for a rental. Just a stupid move for a team that can't make mistakes with personnel like that IMO.

Would a Marlon Byrd or Ben Zobrist (who are under contract for next season) be considered rentals?