ESPN NY: Michael Vick "I Revolutionized" The Game

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Freeman doesn't belong in that group IMO.

I think Vick revolutionized the pro game in the sense that if not for him, we might not see as many guys like Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Tim Tebow, Josh Freeman, and Geno Smith being given the opportunities that they have been given so far.

Vick is also the first ever QB to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

Same with Geno Smith. Pocket passer at WVU.

So wouldn't you say then that McNabb revolutionized it more than Vick? Or was he not enough of a running QB?

Frankly, I am not sure what Vick is getting at here with his remarks. Not the brightest bulb. He also says Ray Lewis was his athletic match in the NFL when it was pretty well known that Lewis was not a superior athlete, just very cerebral and understood his position well... and obviously intense. The need to utilize Vick as much as Atlanta had to was sometimes due to his lack of throwing ability and not his superior running ability. He may be the best example however of an athlete that played QB as opposed to a QB with superior athletic ability. I guess you can say he was revolutionary in that respect.

Frankly, I am not sure what Vick is getting at here with his remarks. Not the brightest bulb. He also says Ray Lewis was his athletic match in the NFL when it was pretty well known that Lewis was not a superior athlete, just very cerebral and understood his position well... and obviously intense. The need to utilize Vick as much as Atlanta had to was sometimes due to his lack of throwing ability and not his superior running ability. He may be the best example however of an athlete that played QB as opposed to a QB with superior athletic ability. I guess you can say he was revolutionary in that respect.

Put the ball in the hands of your best athlete more times than not and better things will usually happen. Definitely gets tougher to prove the rule as you progress through each level, but there's no denying that Vick was a one of a kind athlete and when he was on, he was nearly unstoppable.

The 'revolutionary' aspect of his game to me is that he started a trend at youth levels wherein you take an athlete and teach him to be QB instead of taking a QB and teaching him to be an athlete. May be fairly short-sighted, but I think that without Vick, we might not see formations like the "Wildcat" take hold in the NFL or schools like Nevada, and eventually franchises like the 49ers, starting Kaepernick at QB in the Pistol.

Can't find highlights of his win at Lambeau in the '02-'03 Playoffs, but wish I could. I'll leave his 6 TD performance against the Redskins and a highlight tape instead, but it's not nearly as impressive as how he tore up the Packers for their first ever home Playoff loss.

Philly vs. Washington 6 TD Game:

Falcons/Eagles Highlights (NSFW Language): Michael Vick Career Highlights FALCONS/EAGLES [HD] - YouTube

I think Vick revolutionized the pro game in the sense that if not for him, we might not see as many guys like Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Tim Tebow, Josh Freeman, and Geno Smith being given the opportunities that they have been given so far.

Vick is also the first ever QB to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

I'd say Russell Wilson doesn't belong in that group either. Nothing like Vick, not even close...and I mean that as a positive for Wilson.

Vick was only the fastest and most athletic at the position of QB that had several comparable QB's come before him. And he also proved why it's a bad idea for a QB...no matter how fast and athletic, to play that way.

I bet this discussion doesn't trend the way it has if Vick avoids prison time. Careerus interruptus derailed Vick's progression as a QB more than any defense ever did.

I can see it both ways. I think the prison time made him start working harder and appreciating his job. He definitely seemed like a different guy after it.

I bet this discussion doesn't trend the way it has if Vick avoids prison time. Careerus interruptus derailed Vick's progression as a QB more than any defense ever did.

Maybe, but his career wasn't exactly on the up-tick before heading to prison. His health was going to doom him at some point.

Would you say McNabb had a better career than Vick?

McNabb was a totally different QB than Vick and had a outstanding career IMO. He will get strong consideration for the HOF. He was much better than Vick. McNabb was a pocket passer that looked to throw first and could beat you with his arm and occassionally beat you with his legs. Russell Wislson is more like him. I do believe Vick changed the game in many ways because of the duel threat. A cannon for an arm that his legs made more accurate because DB's and LB's leaving their coverage to guard against him. I don't see how you can deny his effectiveness. If he had gotten his head straight in his younger days, there is no telling how great he could have been. He will not smell the HOF.

Maybe, but his career wasn't exactly on the up-tick before heading to prison. His health was going to doom him at some point.

Perhaps, but your perception of that may have been magnified by what has happened since his return, at a step-and-a-half slower than he once was. Who's to say he doesn't learn how to adjust to the adjustments made against him without that gap?

The Wildcat angle is why I agree, somewhat, with Vick in terms of revolutionary status. And the evolution of offense v. defense in reaction to more running QBs in the game from Vick is why we have Wilson and Kaepernick. That doesn't mean that pocket passers are going away.

Mike Vick should never be considered for the Hall

Of Fame. Hall of gamers revolutionize their positions. Mike Vick was one of the most overrated QB's ever so it's him blowing his own horn trying to

Build a legacy he never could love up to.

Randle Cunningham, Steve Young etc revolutionized the mobile QB, not Mike Vick

I disagree. I thought Vick was way overrated long before his prison time. He was not very accurate at all and was a RB that threw and nothing more.