May 14, 201412 yr At what point do you look at offering an extension to Aroldis Chapman? How much would you offer him? Do you offer him a contract? Trade him? Let him walk?
May 14, 201412 yr ^ Agreed, trade him. I mentioned that in the off season and still believe they should.
May 14, 201412 yr What do you think he brings in a trade? A couple solid prospects that can help sooner rather than later. Maybe a prospect and a young MLB established player.
May 14, 201412 yr I love Aroldis, but he's worth more as a trade piece than a closer when it comes to extending his contract. I'd love to see him as a Red for his whole career, but I think this organization would be so much better off getting some good players for him.
May 14, 201412 yr Some ball club will take him and make him a starter, I really think that some are desperate enought to consider that. If the Reds are not going to make him a starter then I would trade him. Starting pitching wins world series and playoff games, closers are improtant but may never even enter into a playoff game. If you can get some help at SS and a right handed batter with power then do it. I wanted Stanton from the Marlins, didnt happen so who knows.
May 14, 201412 yr Wow, im surprised im in the minority here. Like it or not, this is a business, and people like Chappy put butts in the seats. The Reds have 3 marketable stars. Phillips, Votto (only b/c he's so good, and Chapman) Not saying they are the best three but those are the three that people come to watch. Chapman is must watch TV and if its a close game that the Reds are tied or winning, people are staying to see him pitch. Meaning they're buying more concessions etc. I say you keep him.
May 14, 201412 yr Wow, im surprised im in the minority here. Like it or not, this is a business, and people like Chappy put butts in the seats. The Reds have 3 marketable stars. Phillips, Votto (only b/c he's so good, and Chapman) Not saying they are the best three but those are the three that people come to watch. Chapman is must watch TV and if its a close game that the Reds are tied or winning, people are staying to see him pitch. Meaning they're buying more concessions etc. I say you keep him. Winning also does that. I think if you trade Chapman this origination will be better off.
May 14, 201412 yr Threads like this are why I wish Chapman was a starter. It'd be a no-brainer if he's a starter. As a closer, I'm not sure what you do.
May 14, 201412 yr You would have to trade for another closer wouldn't you? Time has proven there is not another solid closer on the current roster. Also he will never be a starter, it wont work. One time through a lineup he can be great, second or third time wont be good. Any teams out there you guys think would want him?
May 14, 201412 yr Author I think it plays a really big factor that he simply doesn't WANT to be a starter. He's said as much. If he doesn't want to, then why would he work on that extra pitch he needs to be effective? I also think his career will last longer as a reliever than it would as a starter... No matter how good you are, your arm only has so many triple digit pitches in it... In terms of baseball players currently on the roster, is he the 'best player' behind Votto? Behind Votto and Cueto? That's really the only ones I think you can put in front of him conceivably....
May 14, 201412 yr In terms of baseball players currently on the roster, is he the 'best player' behind Votto? Behind Votto and Cueto? That's really the only ones I think you can put in front of him conceivably.... I'd rank Cueto, Votto, Latos, and Bruce all as better. Think Homer is pretty much on par with him. Now as far as "exciting players" go, he's gotta be #1.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.