Extending Aroldis Chapman

To me, if you are going to trade him, you have to get, at least:

A young, under control, current ML #2 or #3 SP

A top prospect. Preferably one that plays SS, 3B, or LF (or maybe even 2B depending on the prospect offered)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone trade an under control pitcher #2 or #3 for a closer?

Okay #2 was probably a little rich, but #3...

Because they get, theoretically, the 'most exciting player in the game.' Under control. A lock down closer (w/ 'potential' to become a starter). Theoretically, the best 'arm' in the game. Etc.

Okay #2 was probably a little rich, but #3...

Because they get, theoretically, the 'most exciting player in the game.' Under control. A lock down closer (w/ 'potential' to become a starter). Theoretically, the best 'arm' in the game. Etc.

Chapman throws the hardest in the game. That's not the same thing as the best "arm", not by a long shot.

Why would anyone trade an under control pitcher #2 or #3 for a closer?

I'm sure someone thinks they can talk him into converting to a starter. That's their only chance of getting a good pitching prospect. Of course, there's a lot of risk involved so most teams probably won't bite.

Assuming he'll be overpaid to the Yankees, Angels or Rangers.

You would have to trade for another closer wouldn't you? Time has proven there is not another solid closer on the current roster. Also he will never be a starter, it wont work. One time through a lineup he can be great, second or third time wont be good.

Any teams out there you guys think would want him?

I agree with Marty B. Closer is the MOST overrated position on a baseball team, just look at Grills for Pitt last year, a journey man most of his career, he did just fine last season as Pitt's closer. You have got to trade Chapman, before his glitter wears off. :clap:

He can't be a free agent until 2017, they have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. I wouldn't do anything with him until, at the earliest, after the 2015 season. Until then, let it ride.

The one exception was if someone offered a "too good to pass up" deal, then I'd consider it. I wouldn't just trade him to trade him, that is for sure.

Agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Reds could re-sign him as their closer. I don't think it'd be a good decision, but it's not impossible.

Agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Reds could re-sign him as their closer. I don't think it'd be a good decision, but it's not impossible.

That's why I hope they trade him. Terrified they would re-sign him.

Broxton would give you 80% success rate at it. Not great, but not all that terrible.

I think LeCure has the mental makeup and stones for it, not sure why he wasn't given a chance at the beginning of the year. :idunno:

Your assuming those guys are resigned correct? Whats the contract status of the reds bullpen.

IMO Chapman is suited for the Yankees, but they have crap to give back in return.

Whats the contract status of the reds bullpen.

The Reds have two of the 12 highest paid relievers in baseball based on total worth of the contract: Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton. Marshall makes $5.5 this year and $6.5 next year. Broxton makes $7.0 this year and $9.0 next year. Doesn't even include the $5.0 they owe Chapman this year and next year.

Way too much money tied up in the bullpen -- obviously.

Who would you call the best arm in the game? Top 3?

Best arm in the game? Probably Kershaw. When I say best arm, I'm saying best pitcher, nastiest guy to face.

No, I don't think Chapman is top 3. I'm not even sure he's the best arm on the Reds.