Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Extending Aroldis Chapman

Featured Replies

  • Author

To me, if you are going to trade him, you have to get, at least:

 

A young, under control, current ML #2 or #3 SP

A top prospect. Preferably one that plays SS, 3B, or LF (or maybe even 2B depending on the prospect offered)

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would anyone trade an under control pitcher #2 or #3 for a closer?

  • Author
Why would anyone trade an under control pitcher #2 or #3 for a closer?

 

Okay #2 was probably a little rich, but #3...

 

Because they get, theoretically, the 'most exciting player in the game.' Under control. A lock down closer (w/ 'potential' to become a starter). Theoretically, the best 'arm' in the game. Etc.

Okay #2 was probably a little rich, but #3...

 

Because they get, theoretically, the 'most exciting player in the game.' Under control. A lock down closer (w/ 'potential' to become a starter). Theoretically, the best 'arm' in the game. Etc.

 

Chapman throws the hardest in the game. That's not the same thing as the best "arm", not by a long shot.

Why would anyone trade an under control pitcher #2 or #3 for a closer?

 

I'm sure someone thinks they can talk him into converting to a starter. That's their only chance of getting a good pitching prospect. Of course, there's a lot of risk involved so most teams probably won't bite.

 

Assuming he'll be overpaid to the Yankees, Angels or Rangers.

  • Author
Chapman throws the hardest in the game. That's not the same thing as the best "arm", not by a long shot.

 

Who would you call the best arm in the game? Top 3?

You would have to trade for another closer wouldn't you? Time has proven there is not another solid closer on the current roster. Also he will never be a starter, it wont work. One time through a lineup he can be great, second or third time wont be good.

 

Any teams out there you guys think would want him?

I agree with Marty B. Closer is the MOST overrated position on a baseball team, just look at Grills for Pitt last year, a journey man most of his career, he did just fine last season as Pitt's closer. You have got to trade Chapman, before his glitter wears off. :clap:

.....

 

He can't be a free agent until 2017, they have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. I wouldn't do anything with him until, at the earliest, after the 2015 season. Until then, let it ride.

....

 

The one exception was if someone offered a "too good to pass up" deal, then I'd consider it. I wouldn't just trade him to trade him, that is for sure.

.....

 

He can't be a free agent until 2017, they have bigger fish to fry in the meantime. I wouldn't do anything with him until, at the earliest, after the 2015 season. Until then, let it ride.

 

....

 

The one exception was if someone offered a "too good to pass up" deal, then I'd consider it. I wouldn't just trade him to trade him, that is for sure.

 

Agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Reds could re-sign him as their closer. I don't think it'd be a good decision, but it's not impossible.

Agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the Reds could re-sign him as their closer. I don't think it'd be a good decision, but it's not impossible.

 

That's why I hope they trade him. Terrified they would re-sign him.

Broxton would give you 80% success rate at it. Not great, but not all that terrible.

 

I think LeCure has the mental makeup and stones for it, not sure why he wasn't given a chance at the beginning of the year. :idunno:

 

Your assuming those guys are resigned correct? Whats the contract status of the reds bullpen.

 

IMO Chapman is suited for the Yankees, but they have crap to give back in return.

Whats the contract status of the reds bullpen.

 

 

The Reds have two of the 12 highest paid relievers in baseball based on total worth of the contract: Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton. Marshall makes $5.5 this year and $6.5 next year. Broxton makes $7.0 this year and $9.0 next year. Doesn't even include the $5.0 they owe Chapman this year and next year.

 

Way too much money tied up in the bullpen -- obviously.

Walt really pooped the bed with the Broxton contract. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and he thought Chapman would be starting.

Who would you call the best arm in the game? Top 3?

 

Best arm in the game? Probably Kershaw. When I say best arm, I'm saying best pitcher, nastiest guy to face.

 

No, I don't think Chapman is top 3. I'm not even sure he's the best arm on the Reds.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.