Extending Aroldis Chapman

You would have to trade for another closer wouldn't you? Time has proven there is not another solid closer on the current roster. Also he will never be a starter, it wont work. One time through a lineup he can be great, second or third time wont be good.

Any teams out there you guys think would want him?

Yankees, Marlins, Mets, Angels, Dodgers are the ones that come to mind for me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to trade for another closer wouldn't you? Time has proven there is not another solid closer on the current roster. Also he will never be a starter, it wont work. One time through a lineup he can be great, second or third time wont be good.

Any teams out there you guys think would want him?

Broxton would give you 80% success rate at it. Not great, but not all that terrible.

I think LeCure has the mental makeup and stones for it, not sure why he wasn't given a chance at the beginning of the year. :idunno:

Not to re-hash this argument, but there are plenty of viable options at closer on this roster: Marshall was okay during his brief stint, Broxton has experience, & Lecure is capable.

2017 is the earliest Aroldis will be a free agent, so this talk is WAY TOO premature.

Not to re-hash this argument, but there are plenty of viable options at closer on this roster: Marshall was okay during his brief stint, Broxton has experience, & Lecure is capable.

2017 is the earliest Aroldis will be a free agent, so this talk is WAY TOO premature.

Trading him at his current price tag vs trading him at the deadline before he is a FA adds a ton of value.

Trading him at his current price tag vs trading him at the deadline before he is a FA adds a ton of value.

No doubt about that. My point was that the bullpen will change over the next couple seasons & our next closer likely isn't even on the roster yet.

Let's take a look at some of the other closers' salaries:

Papelbon: $13 million

Rafael Soriano: $11,742,00

Carlos Marmol: $10 Million (barely over $10M)

Mariano Rivera: $10 million

Joe Nathan: $8 million

Chris Perez: $7.3 million

Kimbrel recently signed a 4 year, $42 million deal with the Braves. That's not unreasonable for one of the best pitchers in the game...

I bet they entertain the idea around the trade deadline. He may be worth getting rid of if someone would just take BP and his contract with him.

That's a great point. If they could get a team to take BP in a trade with him, I'd imagine that would intensify the Reds desire to shop Aroldis.

I think if you trade him you better get a can't miss prospect in return or you might have a fan mutiny.

I disagree with the 'we can find someone else easily' thought... Remember the David Weathers days? Or even the late Coco days? Everyone was always upset with them because they weren't a shut down closer with a go to pitch.

I think if you trade him you better get a can't miss prospect in return or you might have a fan mutiny.

I disagree with the 'we can find someone else easily' thought... Remember the David Weathers days? Or even the late Coco days? Everyone was always upset with them because they weren't a shut down closer with a go to pitch.

Chapman has converted on 85.7% of his save opportunities as a Red.

Cordero converted on 86% of his save opportunities as a Red.

Just saying....:idunno:

Chapman has converted on 85.7% of his save opportunities as a Red.

Cordero converted on 86% of his save opportunities as a Red.

Just saying....:idunno:

Tread lightly...the how scary he is gang will be out in full force soon.