Pay to Play

Curious about how many schools/districts have a pay to play policy (where you have to pay a fee to be on the team). If your school does, what is the fee? What do you do about free/reduced lunch kids?

I am asking because my local district brought up the idea and it was opposed heavily by the coaches.

At Newport Central Catholic, you pay a flat fee no matter how many sports you play. I want to say it is $50 but someone else may correct me; my girl doesn't play sports anymore.

Oh, and as far as kids who can't afford the fee, Jeff Schulkens, NCC's business manager, does a great job with getting kids the aid they need!

Somerset football is/was free, but could have changed.

Pulaski, I think, at one time had a $100 charge for football, maybe all the way down to middle school.

No idea about Southwestern but they for years rolled in money, so I'd be shocked if they charged.

Curious about how many schools/districts have a pay to play policy (where you have to pay a fee to be on the team). If your school does, what is the fee? What do you do about free/reduced lunch kids?

I am asking because my local district brought up the idea and it was opposed heavily by the coaches.

So much for balanced playing field.

[QUOT=mcpapa;5051733]Seems like I read that amidst all the financial difficulties in the Fleming County school system, their Board was considering pay to play.

That is the county I was referring to in my initial question.

Personally, I could see where it would help from the standpoint of:

"Look Johnny, we payed X amount for you to play...you're not missing practice and you aren't quitting."

...and, this will sound bad, but weeding out those who might be on the fence (granted, you have two types of fence riders...the one who could really help you, and the one who just wants to wear a jersey on Friday nights, but can be little headache, after headache, after headache the rest of the time)