Bullying or changing cultures?

jdew03

It certainly raises a red flag that the BOE should be looking into why it happened and what investigation was done by the school about the allegations.

1. Why did the previous coach leave? Why one week before season started?

2. There is a chain of command within school districts & when the complaints of bullying fell on deaf ears with the principal, were their complaints taken higher?

Without details, it's hard to form an real opinion about this particular situation.

But I think the question posed is a good one, BULLYING v CULTURE.

If it were just some players (some # lower than 10 for sure), I would tend to think it's a case of the coach being hard and the kids not liking it. - CULTURE

I've had my high school daughters talk about a MEAN COACH. Having actually been there for some of those MEAN COACH events... I've told them it's called coaching. Using my own experiences in the late 70's and through the 80's, most coaches today are TAME. *Not to condone cussing, berating, and the like

"Did you see him yelling at so&so?"

=Yes. That wasn't mean. She was 40 or 50 ft away. He didn't attack her. He was yelling what she was supposed to be doing.

"Did you hear her yelling at us during the time out?"

=Some of it. She wasn't "yelling" loud enough for me to hear all of it. She couldn't have been yelling that loud because I was pretty close. From what I did hear, it sounded pretty accurate based on the way you all are playing. Did you want her to put her comments into a card from Hallmark?

My personal favorite is the VB coach that called a time out and made the team run sprints on the court to wake up. My girl was mad at me for saying: Since I wasn't there, based on what she told me about how they were playing, and the score, I'd say it was probably deserved.

-How many of you ever had a practice following a bad performance where you had to run until your legs felt like jello? Or practice a particular throw until your arm was about to fall off?

Raising your voice or outright yelling (not in a players face) are not bad things.

I would like to see some display of emotion on the coaches part from time to time. Not just in celebration.

I had one of my girls watch MIRACLE with me. Discussing the coaching tactics as it went along. I think it helped get part of my point across a little.

Maybe girls sports were like that back in the day... and it's been the culture for a long time?

Are boys/girls sports handled differently? I've heard a few lil league football practices, and it doesn't sound like those coaches are afraid to yell. Not having a son, I don't have much to base it on.

Maybe it's a by-product of the everyone gets a trophy mentality?

Maybe it's our fault: "Nobody talks to my little girl like that!"

As for Pulaski Co, with the assistant coaches leaving with 10 girls, (again without benefits of real details), I would tend to think something is going on and hope that someone in authority is taking a hard look at it.

Edited by PurplePride92
Rule 8

When I saw that NSA Hall of Famer and Asst Coach Jack Roney quit, that more than anything tells me there was a real issue that wasn't being addressed.

Coach Roney is a VERY emotional kinda guy! When things don't go his way he sometimes has a tendency to be a little extreme in his thoughts......

Coach Roney is a VERY emotional kinda guy! When things don't go his way he sometimes has a tendency to be a little extreme in his thoughts......

He may be, but he is also going to do what he feels is best. If that isn't possible I think he felt his only option was to leave since no change was going to be made. Jack and Peggy have been around softball long enough to know what is and isn't acceptable in the way players are treated. I don't know Coach Gover and he may be a great guy but I do know Jack and Peggy (even though I've spoken to neither about this) and don't think they would have left the team if they felt there was any other option.

He may be, but he is also going to do what he feels is best. If that isn't possible I think he felt his only option was to leave since no change was going to be made. Jack and Peggy have been around softball long enough to know what is and isn't acceptable in the way players are treated. I don't know Coach Gover and he may be a great guy but I do know Jack and Peggy (even though I've spoken to neither about this) and don't think they would have left the team if they felt there was any other option.

This plain and simple was a power play .....if I don't get my way I am taking my ball and going home.

Our society is raising a generation that knows nothing but blame other and if I am not successful it is someone else's fault. It is sad to see but I am glad I taught mine to go hard and to deal with it when coaches were hard on them. Fighters win in the end, you have to go after what you want, there comes a time when rec ball is done and real competition begins.

Our society is raising a generation that knows nothing but blame other and if I am not successful it is someone else's fault. It is sad to see but I am glad I taught mine to go hard and to deal with it when coaches were hard on them. Fighters win in the end, you have to go after what you want, there comes a time when rec ball is done and real competition begins.

Why so quick to blame the players? Three assistants, including one that had been around the program for several years, felt strongly enough about the way the new coach was treating the players to leave the program as well.

I know that I spoke briefly with a parent of one of the players that quit and he said that the game just wasn't fun anymore. He said that the majority of the team had come out of the dugout crying the weekend before the walkout--and that was after a win.

Nuff said.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43986[/ATTACH]

I like the premise behind the quote. However, I think there needs to be some other things considered. One, is that not all people are made out to be coaches. Even if you are an Einstein when it comes to knowledge of the game, you still have to be able to relate to human beings. Not everyone can do that. It doesn't mean their players are "uncoachable."

Also, not all people respond the same to a specific manner of coaching styles. Some people may be able to understand a premise simply by you talking about it...others may need to visually see it. Some may "get it" after a quick demonstration...others may need to practice it over and over. It also, doesn't make them "uncoachable".

On this specific scenario, I have no knowledge of any of the parties involved, so I'm hesitant to take a stance one way or another. The thing that surprises me though, is the number of girls that left. When there's not enough players left to field a team, obviously someone who walked away, walked away from some playing time. That's unusual, in my opinion. Usually it's the ones who feel they're getting snubbed, who raise the most ruckus.

Why so quick to blame the players? Three assistants, including one that had been around the program for several years, felt strongly enough about the way the new coach was treating the players to leave the program as well.

I know that I spoke briefly with a parent of one of the players that quit and he said that the game just wasn't fun anymore. He said that the majority of the team had come out of the dugout crying the weekend before the walkout--and that was after a win.

Not blaming the players but just another story about someone not getting their way. Sounds like maybe they did not like the fact that old coach is gone and hey if we walk out they have to notice. Just like the people who want to get a petition to have this or that done because they don't like the outcome. Someone makes a decision, live with it or go somewhere else. We have become such a self-gratifying nation that the words loyalty and hard work are lost for fairness and being equal. How many people thought they were better than LeBron in high school, well if they did then they were wrong and should be glad he was with them. I am not saying who is to blame in this situation and I hate it for the school and the kids involved but they and the coaches made a choice now they have to live with it. I agree if the game is not fun then don't play but I will never agree with it is okay to quit anything. That wasn't how I was raised, you start it you finish it.