Creationism

I think what is forgotten in this discussion is the importance of geography in determining the faith/religion of the world's people. A child born in Lexington, Ky has a high probability of becoming a Christian. A child born in Istanbul, Turkey has a high probability of being Muslim. A child born in Calcutta, India will probably be Hindu. And so on. Why? Because that's what their parent's are, and most of their deceased friends and relatives were. It's the religious culture they were born into in their geographical part of the world. And as in most beliefs they all will have been taught, or indoctrinated, from an early age about a creation, how to live their life, and what happens to them after they die. Does that make any of them right and all the others wrong? Not really. But if it's "right" in their minds and gives them comfort I suppose it's okay. But it doesn't give any particular religion a corner on the 'what's the truth' market is. They're all still faith based, but faith determined by geography.

I don't disagree with anything you said, at the same time another way of thinking is it is sad.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what IM4cats is saying that the "gaps" or "stretches" which I prefer to call theory are where there's no rock solid tangible evidence that connects the dots. I know you've stated that in this thread, but just assuming that was his intent. Maybe faith is a poor choice of words. Assumption would probably fit better.

Wow! We agree!

I think what is forgotten in this discussion is the importance of geography in determining the faith/religion of the world's people. A child born in Lexington, Ky has a high probability of becoming a Christian. A child born in Istanbul, Turkey has a high probability of being Muslim. A child born in Calcutta, India will probably be Hindu. And so on. Why? Because that's what their parent's are, and most of their deceased friends and relatives were. It's the religious culture they were born into in their geographical part of the world. And as in most beliefs they all will have been taught, or indoctrinated, from an early age about a creation, how to live their life, and what happens to them after they die. Does that make any of them right and all the others wrong? Not really. But if it's "right" in their minds and gives them comfort I suppose it's okay. But it doesn't give any particular religion a corner on the 'what's the truth' market is. They're all still faith based, but faith determined by geography.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. Never could wrap my head around the "this way is the only way and the rest of you are damned" line of thinking.

There is a lot of misinformation, but it is not just on one side either.

How can there be misinformation about "Faith?"

We all agree, even if by omission, that Faith is all we have on one side. Obviously there are many different interpretations of Faith as it relates to this subject matter but to put any of that in a category with Science based misinformation is irresponsible at best.

How can there be misinformation about "Faith?"

We all agree, even if by omission, that Faith is all we have on one side. Obviously there are many different interpretations of Faith as it relates to this subject matter but to put any of that in a category with Science based misinformation is irresponsible at best.

Maybe misinformation is the wrong term, but there is a lot of automatic dismissal and misrepresentation of all positions based on "Faith" simply because they are "Faith" based. Even when logic could tend to reconcile "Faith" and "Science" explanations non-believers want to automatically dismiss those explanations just because they come from "Faith".

I don't disagree with anything you said, at the same time another way of thinking is it is sad.

guru, I've been trying to send you an PM but I'm not sure they're "sending". It says my inbox is full and I can't send anything, but when I deleted most of them, it still says the same thing. I have a question I need to ask you.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank the author of this topic. Like him, I have asked many people over the years to tell me what it is that draws you to this line of thinking. How did you arrive at your conclusions? What do you base your reasoning on? There are so many people that claim to believe someone or something created all that there is out of nothing but when they are pressed about it all they can say is "you have to have faith" or they quote some Biblical gook that has been slammed down their throats since infancy.

The author of the topic can speak for himself but all I have seen is more of the same---faith-based arguments and little more. As a scientist, I need more than faith in "the man upstairs." Give me gravity or give me death...

A child born in Lexington, Ky has a high probability of becoming a Christian. A child born in Istanbul, Turkey has a high probability of being Muslim. A child born in Calcutta, India will probably be Hindu. And so on. Does that make any of them right and all the others wrong? Not really. But if it's "right" in their minds and gives them comfort I suppose it's okay. .

So are you saying that there is no such thing as an Objective Truth? Just because something is right in my mind does not make it a reality or a truth. I believe God created the world using some kind of "Big Bang" type of procedure and that the world is millions of years old. I am either right or wrong. If you disagree with me then at least one of us has to be wrong. We can't claim that we both are right just because we are right in our minds. Can we?

I believe there is a Holy Spirit and it resides in each of us. The Bible or other religion's works of God can be literally interpreted or liberally interpreted. I tend to be of the latter, but I believe the Word was inspired at a minimum. Beyond that, science has its goal of quantifying the creation and development of the universe, and I am ok with that, and curious as well. It seems to me that most of our global conflicts come from the literal interpretations of the Word of God and one race's belief that theirs is the only true, right way.

I believe there is a Holy Spirit and it resides in each of us. The Bible or other religion's works of God can be literally interpreted or liberally interpreted. I tend to be of the latter, but I believe the Word was inspired at a minimum. Beyond that, science has its goal of quantifying the creation and development of the universe, and I am ok with that, and curious as well. It seems to me that most of our global conflicts come from the literal interpretations of the Word of God and one race's belief that theirs is the only true, right way.

Ideology in general can be a dangerous thing, regardless of its origins. I think that's the best lesson we can take away from history. It should lead us to a humanism that respects people and respects life, whether or not that humanism is secular or not. Erasmus and Thomas More gave us at least a brief glimpse of what that might look like nearly 600 years ago. We've never been particularly good at following up on that perspective, though I absolutely believe we're better at it than we were at any time prior to now.

I want to thank the author of this topic. Like him, I have asked many people over the years to tell me what it is that draws you to this line of thinking. How did you arrive at your conclusions? What do you base your reasoning on? There are so many people that claim to believe someone or something created all that there is out of nothing but when they are pressed about it all they can say is "you have to have faith" or they quote some Biblical gook that has been slammed down their throats since infancy.

The author of the topic can speak for himself but all I have seen is more of the same---faith-based arguments and little more. As a scientist, I need more than faith in "the man upstairs." Give me gravity or give me death...

What is your field of science?

So are you saying that there is no such thing as an Objective Truth? Just because something is right in my mind does not make it a reality or a truth. I believe God created the world using some kind of "Big Bang" type of procedure and that the world is millions of years old. I am either right or wrong. If you disagree with me then at least one of us has to be wrong. We can't claim that we both are right just because we are right in our minds. Can we?

I'm only saying if their belief gives them comfort and a feeling of well being it doesn't matter if it's 'true' or not. Who can prove that anyway. They're all faith based. I'm sure Hindu's or Buddhist feel just as much comfort in their religion when at a funeral for a loved one as a Christian does at their's. They all acheive the same objectives.