Too cold for Baseball

Not sure if the sun is brighter in Fort Thomas :clap: but in your neighboring city it is 33 degrees. This is an unhealthy situation to play in. Hopefully coaches use some smarts here. Arms can become a real problem in that temp. Lets face it KY. really needs to push back baseball to start regular season April 1.

Not too cold now. I do remember 3 years ago I think it was, Cooper had a game at Conner and it was so freaking cold, sleet before the game and very windy all through the game. My son was catching and they brought in a relief pitcher around the 4th inning and my son had to go out to the mound and help the pitcher take a glove off his throwing hand, it was so cold he couldn't take it off without help lol.

That was too cold for a game. Both teams were tied going in to the last inning and when we didn't score I swear you could hear all the Cooper fans praying to god that Conner would score that inning so we could all go home. They did and we lost, never seen so many people happy about a loss before.

I remember my senior year ('84), playing Campbell Co. at the Knothole field next to the trailer park on 4 Mile Rd. Snow flurries and WELL below 40 degrees, and they had 55 gallon drums burning wood to keep players warm (you'll never see that again :lol2:).

Anything below 45 should be canceled IMO.

BTW, NewCath frosh softball still playing a DH at Simon Kenton tonight, while the varsity is canceled.

Over the last 3 years of high school ball, I've seen games played in much worse conditions than today. I can remember a freshman game that went until 10pm in temps just above freezing with drizzle. Today is pretty much par for the course for weather this time of the year. That being said, I have always hated March baseball, and the fact that KY starts in February is crazy. Many states don't start until March 1, with the first games being in very late March and the season really gets going in Mid April. I'm still baffled at the number of games that get teams play in a year.

39 degrees and cloudy at Conner with a slight breeze for the Dixie-Conner frosh game. I agree with the risk of injury concern and certainly not healthy for young arms ( or any arm for that matter ) in these conditions.

A lot of games are played in a short season and I understand the need to have them scheduled when they are. Looking forward to the 50s Th,F, and Sat. Tell your players to keep warm and keep moving!

I know today at Betsy Layne, coaches forced our baseball players to suit up in jogging pants and sweatshirts for the entire practice. But temperatures here where in the low 50s, so it wasn't terribly bad and the sun was beaming the whole day with little to no wind.

I remember my senior year ('84), playing Campbell Co. at the Knothole field next to the trailer park on 4 Mile Rd. Snow flurries and WELL below 40 degrees, and they had 55 gallon drums burning wood to keep players warm (you'll never see that again :lol2:).

Anything below 45 should be canceled IMO.

BTW, NewCath frosh softball still playing a DH at Simon Kenton tonight, while the varsity is canceled.

30 yrs ago....wow you are old !!! LOL

Speaking of 30 yrs ago today Breakfast Club was released.

It's a joke how early it starts, but it's also a joke how early the football season starts.

Football used to be a fall sport, not it's 3/4 Summer for most (if going by the actual seasons). Baseball starts playing while it's literally STILL WINTER out, and feels like it for the next couple weeks after it becomes "spring".

If they would back up the start of football season about two weeks (around Labor Day weekend), it would back everything else two weeks from it's current start dates obviously; and, I don't know a baseball coach who wouldn't go for opening week to be right around when Spring Break is for most schools (first week of April).

....all one can do is hope, I guess?