Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Too cold for Baseball

Featured Replies

When is it too cold for baseball? With temps hovering around 40 with the sun out, is it too cold for baseball in those temps? I am hearing some games are being cancelled today because of cold temps. Or the excuse of such.

Not sure if the sun is brighter in Fort Thomas :clap: but in your neighboring city it is 33 degrees. This is an unhealthy situation to play in. Hopefully coaches use some smarts here. Arms can become a real problem in that temp. Lets face it KY. really needs to push back baseball to start regular season April 1.

Not too cold now. I do remember 3 years ago I think it was, Cooper had a game at Conner and it was so freaking cold, sleet before the game and very windy all through the game. My son was catching and they brought in a relief pitcher around the 4th inning and my son had to go out to the mound and help the pitcher take a glove off his throwing hand, it was so cold he couldn't take it off without help lol.

 

That was too cold for a game. Both teams were tied going in to the last inning and when we didn't score I swear you could hear all the Cooper fans praying to god that Conner would score that inning so we could all go home. They did and we lost, never seen so many people happy about a loss before.

I remember my senior year ('84), playing Campbell Co. at the Knothole field next to the trailer park on 4 Mile Rd. Snow flurries and WELL below 40 degrees, and they had 55 gallon drums burning wood to keep players warm (you'll never see that again :lol2:).

 

Anything below 45 should be canceled IMO.

 

BTW, NewCath frosh softball still playing a DH at Simon Kenton tonight, while the varsity is canceled.

Over the last 3 years of high school ball, I've seen games played in much worse conditions than today. I can remember a freshman game that went until 10pm in temps just above freezing with drizzle. Today is pretty much par for the course for weather this time of the year. That being said, I have always hated March baseball, and the fact that KY starts in February is crazy. Many states don't start until March 1, with the first games being in very late March and the season really gets going in Mid April. I'm still baffled at the number of games that get teams play in a year.

I have played and coached in sleet/snow. I would say if the wind chill is 32 or below it is too cold. If it were 45 and up, colleges wouldn't be able to play half of their games.

  • Author

It was sunny and 40 degrees at HP in Ft Thomas and the visiting team called and cancelled today. IMO games should be played in those winter conditions.

Not good for arms to be throwing in that weather. There is a reason Major League and College teams go south for spring training.

Not good for arms to be throwing in that weather. There is a reason Major League and College teams go south for spring training.

 

Especially early in the season.

39 degrees and cloudy at Conner with a slight breeze for the Dixie-Conner frosh game. I agree with the risk of injury concern and certainly not healthy for young arms ( or any arm for that matter ) in these conditions.

 

A lot of games are played in a short season and I understand the need to have them scheduled when they are. Looking forward to the 50s Th,F, and Sat. Tell your players to keep warm and keep moving!

I know today at Betsy Layne, coaches forced our baseball players to suit up in jogging pants and sweatshirts for the entire practice. But temperatures here where in the low 50s, so it wasn't terribly bad and the sun was beaming the whole day with little to no wind.

I remember my senior year ('84), playing Campbell Co. at the Knothole field next to the trailer park on 4 Mile Rd. Snow flurries and WELL below 40 degrees, and they had 55 gallon drums burning wood to keep players warm (you'll never see that again :lol2:).

 

Anything below 45 should be canceled IMO.

 

BTW, NewCath frosh softball still playing a DH at Simon Kenton tonight, while the varsity is canceled.

 

30 yrs ago....wow you are old !!! LOL

 

Speaking of 30 yrs ago today Breakfast Club was released.

It's a joke how early it starts, but it's also a joke how early the football season starts.

 

Football used to be a fall sport, not it's 3/4 Summer for most (if going by the actual seasons). Baseball starts playing while it's literally STILL WINTER out, and feels like it for the next couple weeks after it becomes "spring".

 

If they would back up the start of football season about two weeks (around Labor Day weekend), it would back everything else two weeks from it's current start dates obviously; and, I don't know a baseball coach who wouldn't go for opening week to be right around when Spring Break is for most schools (first week of April).

 

....all one can do is hope, I guess?

There has been one casualty due to the cold. We have 3 broken bats because of the cold and those things are $400 a pop.

There has been one casualty due to the cold. We have 3 broken bats because of the cold and those things are $400 a pop.

 

Big problem. The newer bats don't do well in sub 50 degree weather.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.