Too cold for Baseball

A few years ago, the season started the week before spring break (March 27 - 31). Now games are starting as early as March 10. It is too soon, teams aren't ready to play, they've spent too little time on the field, and it is too cold.

Time for a change.

A few years ago, the season started the week before spring break (March 27 - 31). Now games are starting as early as March 10. It is too soon, teams aren't ready to play, they've spent too little time on the field, and it is too cold.

Time for a change.

I'm not sure that my son's high school team has been on the field more than once or twice (aside from the 4 games they've played). I know this year is a little unusual. But I'd be all for reducing the schedule by 8 or 10 games, starting practice a little later, and not starting the season until the last week of March.

So true. My son's bat had the knob come right off last week in practice. 2 bats yesterday during the game broke. Not good.

My son typically uses his wooden bat in practice when outside in cold weather. He's lucky, the bat he swings has a wooden version (he uses a Baden Axe), so the feel isn't too different. We haven't had any bats break this year, but that's mainly because they haven't been outside all that much.

Everyone considers the arms during cold weather and rightfully so, but don't forget about leg and back muscle injuries. Warming up and stretching lose their effectiveness in these kinds of conditions and athletes become prone to hamstring pulls and muscle pulls due to cold bodies. 45 degrees is about the lowest I'd play in, but that's just me FWIW.