Rev Fred Phelps near death

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be hypocritical as a sinner to ask God for forgiveness yet say others shouldn't be forgiven? Isn't the bible filled with scripture about us forgiving others?
I listened to a sermon once that the minister was challenging the audience to answer this question. "Do I have to forgive everyone who wrongs me, or only the people who have a change of heart and ask for forgiveness?"

My initial thought was "everyone" but he made a very good case for the fact that the Bible teaches us that man has to ask for forgiveness (repent) to receive it. God stands at the ready to forgive all our trangressions, but it is us who must repent and approach him for the fogiveness. I remember it because it challenged my thinking and I grew a little that day.

No Christian should be entertaining thoughts of protesting, revenge or hate towards Phelps. His past actions are ugly enough without us making it worse by stooping to his level, IMO.

This story reminds me of mr. lawildcat's grandfather who lives across the road from us. Apparently, he was a mean SOB throughout his life and now he is close to death and suffering from dementia. Out of 10 children, only 1 is willing to help care for him; the others are so bitter from the past abuse suffered that they have turned their back on him. It's really sad to see. Here is this man who is helpless and, I believe, suffering through his own hell right here on earth and none of them care. At what point do you allow yourself to forgive others if only to free your own mind from the hate you feel towards them?

As I look at it, this isn't so much about forgiveness of Phelps as it is avoiding the temptation to "repay evil with evil" (1 Peter 3:9) & refusing to have hatred for him (1 John 4:20).

Some might say that it's all the same, but I see it differently. Phelps has not done anything directly to me that would require my forgiving him. But I certainly am tempted to hope his death is painful or his funeral likewise protested or offer a message of hate as he nears what appears to be his final days.

This story reminds me of mr. lawildcat's grandfather who lives across the road from us. Apparently, he was a mean SOB throughout his life and now he is close to death and suffering from dementia. Out of 10 children, only 1 is willing to help care for him; the others are so bitter from the past abuse suffered that they have turned their back on him. It's really sad to see. Here is this man who is helpless and, I believe, suffering through his own hell right here on earth and none of them care. At what point do you allow yourself to forgive others if only to free your own mind from the hate you feel towards them?
Tough issue to deal with, very tough. I struggle with it sometimes too towards certain people.

I try to remind myself that holding a grudge, anger, bitterness, etc. is only punishing ME. I sometimes make myself a prisoner to those feelings and if I could let it go, it would only serve to loose those chains and free myself.

I listened to a sermon once that the minister was challenging the audience to answer this question. "Do I have to forgive everyone who wrongs me, or only the people who have a change of heart and ask for forgiveness?"

My initial thought was "everyone" but he made a very good case for the fact that the Bible teaches us that man has to ask for forgiveness (repent) to receive it. God stands at the ready to forgive all our trangressions, but it is us who must repent and approach him for the fogiveness. I remember it because it challenged my thinking and I grew a little that day.

No Christian should be entertaining thoughts of protesting, revenge or hate towards Phelps. His past actions are ugly enough without us making it worse by stooping to his level, IMO.

I fully admit it's easy for me to talk about forgiveness when the guy hasn't done anything to me. I can't imagine the anguish the families went through due to his picketing. He sinned. I sin. I just struggle with saying "yeah but his sins....." so I forgive him. I have no clue if he seeks it or not. I'll assume he does until told otherwise. Plus, that's between him and someone much higher than me.

I fully admit it's easy for me to talk about forgiveness when the guy hasn't done anything to me. I can't imagine the anguish the families went through due to his picketing. He sinned. I sin. I just struggle with saying "yeah but his sins....." so I forgive him. I have no clue if he seeks it or not. I'll assume he does until told otherwise. Plus, that's between him and someone much higher than me.

Guru?

Wouldn't it be hypocritical as a sinner to ask God for forgiveness yet say others shouldn't be forgiven? Isn't the bible filled with scripture about us forgiving others?

How is that saying others shouldn't be forgiven? I'm not forgiving him, IMO, he deserves to burn in hell.

I'll ask God forgiveness for my sins, and he's free to ask God for forgiveness for his. It's up to God to determine if either of us deserves his forgiveness. It's not our place to forgive someone else that hasn't done anything to us.

Exactly, that is why we shouldn't judge anyone ever.

That's not to say we can't disagree with what he did and the life he lived, but as Christians we should accept the fact we are the judged and not the judge. Ye without sin can cast the first stone, and no one is without sin thus we have no stones to cast.