Future sites for the 10th region Tournament

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm anxious to here from some of Scott's faithful, of their reaction to their first trip to the Fieldhouse for the regional tourney.
Their reaction will probably be to wonder where all of the people were that they heard attended the 10th Region Tournament. The entire crowd could have fit in the lower arena seating - no lie!

Secondly they'd find out that they hadn't earned the respect of the 10th Region yet when they turned to the Scott page of the program and saw Billy Hick's (of Scott COUNTY) picture above the caption of Scott Head Coach Brad Carr.

They made a great showing in their first appearance and almost knocked out one of the tourney favorites. With time they will become more recognized citizens of the 10th Region.

Their reaction will probably be to wonder where all of the people were that they heard attended the 10th Region Tournament. The entire crowd could have fit in the lower arena seating - no lie!

Secondly they'd find out that they hadn't earned the respect of the 10th Region yet when they turned to the Scott page of the program and saw Billy Hick's (of Scott COUNTY) picture above the caption of Scott Head Coach Brad Carr.

They made a great showing in their first appearance and almost knocked out one of the tourney favorites. With time they will become more recognized citizens of the 10th Region.

GRC had a very respectable crowd for the first round. If Scott fans are wondering where the crowd was they better ask themselves. The fan base was poor to say the least. Cheerleaders just made the national anthem and they had a better drive than Clark. Plus, their "large" student section was great. :laugh: I am being generous when I say they had 15 in the cheering section.

Here are the distances from the Region 10 high schools to Mason County and to Montgomery County, per Yahoo. I'll start with the 2006 10th Region qualifiers.

Covington Scott: 55 to Mason, 110 to Montgomery

Clark County: 61 to Mason, 17 to Montgomery

Pendleton County: 37 to Mason, 61 to Montgomery

Augusta: 18 to Mason, 66 to Montgomery

Bishop Brossart: 45 to Mason, 82 to Montgomery

Montgomery County: 50 to Mason, 0 to Montgomery

Mason County: 0 to Mason, 50 to Montgomery

Deming: 20 to Mason, 46 to Montgomery

Distance for the 7 teams other than Mason to travel to Mason: 286 miles

Distance for the 7 teams other than Montgomery to travel to Montgomery: 432 miles.

Other schools:

Calvary Christian: 57 to Mason, 112 to Montgomery

Campbell County: 46 to Mason, 82 to Montgomery

Bracken County: 16 to Mason, 67 to Montgomery

Harrison County: 43 to Mason, 39 to Montgomery

Nicholas County: 31 to Mason, 25 to Montgomery

Paris: 43 to Mason, 25 to Montgomery

St. Patrick: 3 to Mason, 50 to Montgomery

Bourbon County: 45 to Mason, 26 to Montgomery

Distance for these 8 teams to travel to Mason: 284 miles

Distance for these 8 teams to travel to Montgomery: 426 miles

It is clear that the addition of the Covington teams to the 10th Region has created a situation making Montgomery County even more of a geographical outlier than they were before.

I'll cut/paste my thoughts from another board regarding moving the 10th here:

As a long-time Mason County HS fan, I love the tournament here at the Fieldhouse. The athletic department runs a class operation, second to none. The 10th Region tourney is one of the great traditions in KY, if not national high school sports. I was friends (he passed away last month) with the gentleman whose construction company built the Fieldhouse.

When the tournament was held elsewhere for a brief time several decades ago, it was an absolute disaster. It has taken over 30 years for really serious discussion regarding moving the tourney site to get any traction; that's how badly it went.

With all that being said, if the regional powers-that-be really think that Montgomery County will have the facilities and everything else that goes along with putting on the 10th tourney (parking, hospitality, ticket management, concessions, nearby accomodations, etc. etc. etc.) in 2008; I say let them have their chance. If it turns out to be a gigantic flop like it was in the '70s; maybe it will be another 30+ years before the bad memories are erased.

If it runs smoothly, and thousands of fans aren't turned away, and the smaller schools in the region are satisfied with their share of the gate; then Montgomery County should be allowed into a permanent rotation. While it won't be the same; I'll still attend the tournament if Mason County is playing (although I'll attend whether or not the Royals are playing as long as the Fieldhouse hosts).

There's something to be said for tradition - especially when the majority consistently elects to keep the tradition.

Long story short - let Montgomery County host the tournament; if it works out, great; if not; well, we all know where it will be next time around.

Very nice information MCPAPA.

It is nice to see some objective "hard data" thrown into this discussion.

It appears to me the Clark Co. fans who are crying foul about the drive are failing to take into consideration that moving the tourney to Montgomery will undoubtedly put these same hardships on to many more schools. But hey, as long as Clark Co. is taken care of that is all that matters, right?

Well how about the Northern Kentucky schools who will have to drive to Lexington, KY then over to Winchester? What time do you think their buses will have to leave to get to a five o'clock game?

It appears to me the Clark Co. fans who are crying foul about the drive are failing to take into consideration that moving the tourney to Montgomery will undoubtedly put these same hardships on to many more schools. But hey, as long as Clark Co. is taken care of that is all that matters, right?

Well how about the Northern Kentucky schools who will have to drive to Lexington, KY then over to Winchester? What time do you think their buses will have to leave to get to a five o'clock game?

True it will be over a 2 hour + drive for them and it will have to be split sessions that start at 5.

I say let Montgomery have a shot at it.Theres a whole lot to putting on this tourney as i see a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that has to go on to run this thing.It takes a lot of very hard work and a lot people in the Mason County organization to make this happend not speak of a lot of long hours.They have done it for so long they make it look easy but i assure you it very difficult.You would be surprised just how hard it can be to keep cold soda for those nites.

I agree totally that it would be tough for teams to travel to Mt. Sterling as well. Wouldn't it be fair to rotate it and have on each end of the region every other year? No one is asking the Fieldhouse to give it up for good. Just let the other end of the region experience the same convenience.

I agree totally that it would be tough for teams to travel to Mt. Sterling as well. Wouldn't it be fair to rotate it and have on each end of the region every other year? No one is asking the Fieldhouse to give it up for good. Just let the other end of the region experience the same convenience.

:thumb: :thumb:

So which end is the Fieldhouse in? It's an hour Southwest from Scott! I can't go Friday because I work in Kenton county. We should have the region at Scott this year so I can go!!!!!!! What a great idea.:rolleyes:

I'm a Scott parent and I'm not quite sure how to take all the commits about our fans. I left as soon as I got home from work at 3:30 and just made it in time for tip off, I was was driving between 65 & 70 the whole way down AA highway. Not a very safe road to do that.

Also I thought playing in the Feildhouse was very nice.I'm sure there is a home court advantage, but I would still love to play there again next year.

The people there running it very very friendly, my family thourghly enjoyed it.