Goetta

Content1

Glier's with Finke's close second. Have to say I gave Queen City a try and I just could not swallow it.

Anybody remember Glier's butcher shop up on Pike Street in Covington between JC Noyes and Turner's?

Growing up in a mostly German descent neighborhood, most of the oldtimers made their own.

Glier's with Finke's close second. Have to say I gave Queen City a try and I just could not swallow it.

Anybody remember Glier's butcher shop up on Pike Street in Covington between JC Noyes and Turner's?

Growing up in a mostly German descent neighborhood, most of the oldtimers made their own.

My mom used to make her own and freeze it for us to have regularly. Been trying to get her to make it again for years.

Eckerlin meats in Findlay Market makes some really good goetta. Otherwise, gotta go with Gliers.

Eckerlin's is very good - and surprisingly similar to Finke's. I'd say Finke's is #1, Eckerlin is #2, and Glier's is #3. For the deer hunters out there, Glier's will make goetta out of some of the ground meat if you take your deer to be processed there. Tastes exactly the same.

Glier's if I'm buying from a supermarket, but the best place to buy it is Parkview Market in Alexandria. Their hot goetta is delicious!

Need to find me a homemade goetta recipe.

I've got a couple - one is from my grandma on dad's side, and the other is from my grandma on my mom's side. The first ends up having to stiff of a consistency, in my opinion, and the second ends up being more like porridge. I've tried combining the two recipes in a manner of ways, but it didn't end well.

On an interesting note, my wife's grandpa grew up right by the old Glier's butcher shop that OlDog75 mentioned. Around Christmas we were over visiting with her grandparents for an evening, and my wife found an old recipe that was labeled as "Goetta (Glier's Recipe)" when she was going through her grandma's recipe file. We haven't had a chance to give it a try yet, but we've been meaning to. One interesting little detail that I recall seeing in the recipe: It calls for one ground beef heart.

• 1 year later...
I've got a couple - one is from my grandma on dad's side, and the other is from my grandma on my mom's side. The first ends up having to stiff of a consistency, in my opinion, and the second ends up being more like porridge. I've tried combining the two recipes in a manner of ways, but it didn't end well.

On an interesting note, my wife's grandpa grew up right by the old Glier's butcher shop that OlDog75 mentioned. Around Christmas we were over visiting with her grandparents for an evening, and my wife found an old recipe that was labeled as "Goetta (Glier's Recipe)" when she was going through her grandma's recipe file. We haven't had a chance to give it a try yet, but we've been meaning to. One interesting little detail that I recall seeing in the recipe: It calls for one ground beef heart.

I got a deal on a meat grinder over the weekend at a yardsale, so after I gave it a good cleaning on Monday, I decided to test it out by making some goetta.

I put together a kind of a hybrid recipe of these three, and added in a few of my own spices as well. The consistency absolutely nailed what I was looking for...but the taste usually takes a good day or two for the spices to all really get into all the meat and oats. I put up 9 pounds of goetta in the freezer this morning, and I've got one more pound waiting in the fridge for me to try tonight. Can't wait to get it fried up with some eggs!

Has anyone ever smoked it on a grill? I haven't even had it in a long time, but I love it and believe it's still plentiful available in the Ashland area. Just curious if it can be rolled in to a breakfast "fattie" and tossed on a smoker and cooked slow and smoked.

Has anyone ever smoked it on a grill? I haven't even had it in a long time, but I love it and believe it's still plentiful available in the Ashland area. Just curious if it can be rolled in to a breakfast "fattie" and tossed on a smoker and cooked slow and smoked.

I think buying goetta links would be the way to go for that. I've never actually bought them myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Schue had tried the smoking approach.

I think buying goetta links would be the way to go for that. I've never actually bought them myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Schue had tried the smoking approach.

The links would probably work well, dunno if those are available in my area though. I'm looking at using the goetta "paste" and adding all the fixings on top, then rolling it all into a roll, then wrap it in a bacon weave. Seems like it should work, but I've never tried it.

I've had goetta sausages on the grill before (not smoked). Not bad but not nearly as good as pan fried.