Goetta

Content1

I got a deal on a meat grinder over the weekend at a yardsale, so after I gave it a good cleaning on Monday, I decided to test it out by making some goetta.

I put together a kind of a hybrid recipe of these three, and added in a few of my own spices as well. The consistency absolutely nailed what I was looking for...but the taste usually takes a good day or two for the spices to all really get into all the meat and oats. I put up 9 pounds of goetta in the freezer this morning, and I've got one more pound waiting in the fridge for me to try tonight. Can't wait to get it fried up with some eggs!

Forgot to report back. I cooked up the goetta I made, and it ended up absolutely awesome. It ended up being essentially the same consistency as Glier's (and no, I didn't try making it with pork heart), but I made it just a little spicier than Glier's normal product. I might have to try making some goetta links the next time around. :banana:

• 3 months later...

That reminds me...I never wrote out my recipe. I've made about 3 batches now since all of my family and friends were hitting me up for it. Everyone really seems to like it. It's a little time consuming, but it turned out really really well each time.

Stock

1 pound fresh ham

3 pounds pork shoulder

1-1/2 pounds boneless beef short rib

1 to 1-1/2 pounds pork neck bones

1 pound beef soup bones

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

3/4 teaspoon rosemary

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon whole allspice

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake

6 bay leaves

Other

1 pound steel-cut oats

2 medium onions

5 teaspoons kosher salt

3 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

Starting with a large (and I mean LARGE) stock pot, cut all of the proteins into 1-1/2" cubes and add it, along with soup bones, all of the stock seasonings, and just enough water to cover everything over in the pot. It's important to make sure not to leave out the pork neck bones from the stock, because you need all the gelatin to boil out of the connective tissues in them in order to give the goetta the right consistency in the end - otherwise you'll end up with something the consistency of porridge. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer, and allow to simmer for 1 hour.

Once simmering has finished, remove all the meat from the water. You can discard the soup bones, although I'll usually try to pick what chunks of meat I can from the pork neck bones before I discard those. Make sure to check carefully through the meat for any small bone pieces that might have fallen free of the pork neck bones...you don't want those ending up in the final product. Put the meat into the fridge to cool overnight. Strain the remaining stock, and cool overnight as well.

The next day, using a grinder with a 5mm (3/16") grinding plate, I'll start off grinding up the two onions, and then grind out all the meat to the consistency of hamburger. Place that into a 6 quart crock pot (the entire recipe will completely fill the crock pot). Add in any solidified gelatin skimmed off of the cooled stock, and then add in 2 quarts of the stock. Then I'll mix in the remaining spices, and finish by gradually mixing in the steel-cut oats. Set the crock pot on low, and cook for 3-4 hours, until oats are soft. Once oats have softened, grease a couple of 9x5 bread loaf pans and fill them with the goetta, packing the pans tightly. Cover with cling wrap and cool in the fridge overnight. Remove the "loaf" of goetta from the pan, cut into 1-1/2" slices, and package/freeze for use.

• 7 months later...
I'm overdue for a trip down to your neck of the woods for bourbon...and to bring you goetta.

That would be wonderful. Our local butcher shop stopped carrying goetta since I quit buying it for fears about how long it sits on the shelf. Same thing with our local Kroger. I can't keep up a market on a niche food item on my salary, especially since I prefer getting my goetta by the brick rather than the tube. Can't get brick goetta here. I wish my mom still made it.

That would be wonderful. Our local butcher shop stopped carrying goetta since I quit buying it for fears about how long it sits on the shelf. Same thing with our local Kroger. I can't keep up a market on a niche food item on my salary, especially since I prefer getting my goetta by the brick rather than the tube. Can't get brick goetta here. I wish my mom still made it.

I'll make it happen, buddy.

Oh, and I almost never cook my own breakfast. It usually takes me a few hours of being awake before my stomach can handle food. Probably why I love breakfast at any hour, and why I miss living in CVG and the Anchor Grill and other such greasy spoons around CVG and Newport.